Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-26: Brewers (Chacín) at Cardinals (Gant) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-1 -- Postseason Spot Clinched! Let the Champagne Fly!]

Eye Black
The schedule is definitely in our favor to win the division, something I thought wasn't remotely possible a month ago. We have the pitching advantage tonight, then a day off and then Detroit at home for the weekend. Cubs have to deal with Nova and Williams the next two days and no day off, then the Cards at home. The Cubs bullpen is gassed, haven't had many days off the past month, maybe only one or two if you count the game postponed in DC, and Bryant is hurt. It seems all the pieces are falling into place for us.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldn't mind seeing a lefty reliever start the game vs Carpenter again.

Anyways, how awesome is it to be in a position to sweep the Cardinals at their place? Let's finish this magical season off with a bang. I love the quote that Braun said saying they can't afford to lose a single game if they want to win the division. Love the mindset of this team.

Is anyone else curious why Carpenter leads off in that lineup? Wouldn't it make way more sense to do something like Martinez, Osuna, Carpenter, Gyorko, Molina, De Jong, Wong, Bader, P? Splits the lefties way better, you avoid having a string of 5 straight RH hitters against a RH pitcher. Seems super obvious to me. Even if not that lineup, somethign like that with Carpenter hitting 2nd or 3rd instead of 1st.

The schedule is definitely in our favor to win the division, something I thought wasn't remotely possible a month ago. We have the pitching advantage tonight, then a day off and then Detroit at home for the weekend. Cubs have to deal with Nova and Williams the next two days and no day off, then the Cards at home. The Cubs bullpen is gassed, haven't had many days off the past month, maybe only one or two if you count the game postponed in DC, and Bryant is hurt. It seems all the pieces are falling into place for us.

Which means they could get swept by the Tigers, because baseball. Just take one game at a time. I remember once when I was talking to Johnny Anderson about our next game vs Naperville Auto & Tire. Let's just say Coach Cooper didn't react too kindly to that.

Anyways, how awesome is it to be in a position to sweep the Cardinals at their place? Let's finish this magical season off with a bang. I love the quote that Braun said saying they can't afford to lose a single game if they want to win the division. Love the mindset of this team.

Is anyone else curious why Carpenter leads off in that lineup? Wouldn't it make way more sense to do something like Martinez, Osuna, Carpenter, Gyorko, Molina, De Jong, Wong, Bader, P? Splits the lefties way better, you avoid having a string of 5 straight RH hitters against a RH pitcher. Seems super obvious to me. Even if not that lineup, somethign like that with Carpenter hitting 2nd or 3rd instead of 1st.

While it likely isn't a big deal...

Carpenter has significantly better numbers out of the lead off spot. I'm sure he'd settle in at 2-4, but he "seems" more comfortable batting lead off.

While it likely isn't a big deal...

Carpenter has significantly better numbers out of the lead off spot. I'm sure he'd settle in at 2-4, but he "seems" more comfortable batting lead off.

Maybe that's a thing, but I doubt it. Much more likely that one day in April everything "clicked" and he started raking.

I would think it's easier to face 5 RH hitters in a row than 2 or 3 and have to adjust to a lefty. By the 2nd RH batter, you'd think that RH pitcher is locked in with his slider just off the outside corner...just shredding RH hitters.

I would personally start Bader in the leadoff spot and have Carp bat in the 2 hole.

Just thinking back to the end of last season, the offseason and this season. It’s been incredible to see Stearns acquire depth after depth after depth. Not always winners but the majority have been very nice additions. Nice to see it pay off to an extent. Executive of the year?

Just thinking about this roster the other day in the same way. In the last 30 years this current roster might be the deepest top to bottom. I was trying to compare the 2011 roster. At least that one has some recency. The 2011 version had probably better starting pitchers but not nearly the bullpen this 2018 model has. They had nice star power position player wise, but not nearly the versatility of the current group. Cain and Yelich make such a big difference at the top of the lineup with how they approach AB's. Obviously the results are nice too. They can beat you on the bases as well. If there's a chink in the armor it'll end up being the starting pitching. I don't know how everything will end up but this is a complete roster that has the ability to do some damage in the post season.

Let's sweep!!

I would personally start Bader in the leadoff spot and have Carp bat in the 2 hole.

Fair enough. One way or another, move carpenter down and stagger the lefties a bit more so you don't have 5-6 RH bats in a row against a RHP

Fair enough. One way or another, move carpenter down and stagger the lefties a bit more so you don't have 5-6 RH bats in a row against a RHP

When you only have two starters that are left handed, I'm not sure it matters too much. I really think teams should start a lefty reliever every game if Carpenter bats lead off though. Carpenter is 12th in the MLB for pitches per plate appearance. That plus Bader's speed makes sense as to why Carp should be in the 2 hole. I guess is matters if Bader can get on base at a high enough clip.

This week has been so much fun. Many pages here with each game and everyone so involved. Braun doing so well and Yelich getting national MVP love. As Braun said they need to win all remaining games. Beat the birds!

And Coach Cooper, that's been the most fun of all!

Which means they could get swept by the Tigers, because baseball. Just take one game at a time. I remember once when I was talking to Johnny Anderson about our next game vs Naperville Auto & Tire. Let's just say Coach Cooper didn't react too kindly to that.

Coach Cooper, hell of a guy, hell of a coach...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

And I get called negative...

Well that was a missed opportunity. Very hittable pitches to Shaw/ Braun

Aguilar had 2-3 that I thought he usually would square up, but that's just how baseball goes sometimes, I suppose. Definitely disappointing not to score that inning, but Gant is looking hittable right now. Hopefully, that continues. And, hopefully, the Brewers take advantage.

Well that was a missed opportunity. Very hittable pitches to Shaw/ Braun

Aguilar had 2-3 that I thought he usually would square up, but that's just how baseball goes sometimes, I suppose. Definitely disappointing not to score that inning, but Gant is looking hittable right now. Hopefully, that continues. And, hopefully, the Brewers take advantage.

Chacin proving that theory. Gant's not going to have a good time the 2nd turn through the order

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Archived