Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-26: Brewers (Chacín) at Cardinals (Gant) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-1 -- Postseason Spot Clinched! Let the Champagne Fly!]

Eye Black
Get greedy. Get the sweep.

Here's a look at the Brewers bullpen usage over the past week:

https://www.fangraphs.com/teams/brewers/pitcher-usage

Probably not ideal to pull Chacin after 4 IP tonight like they've been doing with everyone, but I bet Hader would be available for 1. JJ maybe for 2 if needed.

Woodruff could pitch too.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A win tonight does one of two things. It requires St. Louis to likely need 2 of 3 from Chicago to get in, in which case the Brewers would need 2 of 3 from the Tigers to win the division outright and top seed in the playoffs.

So if we win tonight St. Louis is essentially eliminated OR the Brewers will get the top seed in the tournament. I'd rather have the 2nd thing obviously, but the first thing is a nice consolation prize for our efforts.

These last two games have been so much fun to watch. I feel like we have a great chance to win tonight but that's kinda the fun of it is that you're only as good as the next guy in the rotation. Not even Yelich can carry this team all the way to the World Series.

Cubs have struggled and are facing some tough pitching this week, but I don't think we can just assume they're going to lose 4 out of their last 5 or something. Gotta keep winning to get that division title!

These last two games have been so much fun to watch. I feel like we have a great chance to win tonight but that's kinda the fun of it is that you're only as good as the next guy in the rotation. Not even Yelich can carry this team all the way to the World Series.

Cubs have struggled and are facing some tough pitching this week, but I don't think we can just assume they're going to lose 4 out of their last 5 or something. Gotta keep winning to get that division title!

Agreed. 3-1 is probably the minimum record we can have the next 4 games and win the division outright. The cubs would have to go 2-3 over that span to not tie or beat us. Not a single one of those 5 games is going to be easy for the cubs though. They'll have to earn every win.

It's absolutely crazy to me to think about the fact that IF the crew wins tonight, and the Cubs lose the next two(not unrealistic) that the Brewers would suddenly have a 1 game lead in the division and be in the drivers seat. Talk about flipping the script in a hurry! Heck, even a Brewers win tonight and a Cubs loss, assures no worse than a tie for the division going into Friday..Wow.

Braun said it last night, the Brewers need to act like they have to win EVERY game left to have a shot at the division. Win your own games and let the rest sort itself out.

Yep. If we win out. We at the very least will have a playoff for the division. No way the Cubs win out at this point. Talk about nearly controlling your own destiny... this is as close to that as it can be at this point!!! AND a number 1 seed.

Starting to worry a bit that the Cardinals will tank and be eliminated Friday if they lose today but don't really want the Brewers to lose either. Rockies seem to have an easy path to the playoffs.

Its out of our control. Just take these last 4 games one at a time, hopefully win them all and let the standings take care of itself.

If the Crew wins out, I would find it incredibly hard to believe they wouldn't be division champs at that point

This is what I've been saying. We win, we will be fine. Sure is nice to be hot this time of year instead of backing in or fading, like we have so many times before!

Is it game time yet?

:indifferent :indifferent

I am just going to say it: If we win this division it will feel like a revolution, and I honestly will not get too down about anything that happens in the playoffs. Beating out the Cubs over 162 would make this my favorite Brewers season.

Of course, I hope the players get much greedier.

And setting aside the division for a moment, watching the Brewers soak Busch stadium with champagne and Miller High Life tonight (and yeah, I think with the off day tomorrow they should go crazy if they win--it is baseball and those opportunities just don't come around often enough to skip one) would help exorcise 2011.

I am just going to say it: If we win this division it will feel like a revolution, and I honestly will not get too down about anything that happens in the playoffs.

I kind of feel that way now, but I know I won't feel that way in the heat of battle. Losing in the playoffs will seem like hell, pure hell...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Best case scenario is Brewers win, Cubs lose, Rockies lose, and Dodgers lose. I don't want the Cards falling any further back in the race for WC2. They still need to be in it going into Sunday to keep those Cubs/Cardinals games relevant.

Best case scenario overall is the Brewers win the division and the Cubs, Cards, Rox and Dodgers finish in a 4 way tie.

If the Brewers and Cubs finish an a tie that'a break for the 2d WC team.

Community Moderator
The Rockies were my preferred WC/playoff opponent, but the way they've been playing lately, I'm not so sure about that anymore.

The Rockies do not scare me as much outside of Coors Field, although they are +7 over .500 on the road this year. The Dodgers have the talent advantage--possibly on everyone in the NL--plus the postseason experience. The Dodgers just swept the Rockies...now the Rockies are beating up on an easier schedule.

Just thinking back to the end of last season, the offseason and this season. It’s been incredible to see Stearns acquire depth after depth after depth. Not always winners but the majority have been very nice additions. Nice to see it pay off to an extent. Executive of the year?

This week has been so much fun. Many pages here with each game and everyone so involved. Braun doing so well and Yelich getting national MVP love. As Braun said they need to win all remaining games. Beat the birds!

I get the feeling that if the Brewers win today, they're going to win the division. I wonder if the pressure was on at Wrigley last night when they were in a rain delay and we got off to a 6-0 lead.

We start earlier than them tonight too, I hope we score early and keep that pressure on and make the Cubs press.

In theory Chacin vs the Cards is a good matchup. Righty heavy line up.

I'm someone grateful for an early start tonight. Been staying up late the last few nights watching other games and listening to the post game coverage. Will be nice to have an earlier night.

Wouldn't mind seeing a lefty reliever start the game vs Carpenter again.

Anyways, how awesome is it to be in a position to sweep the Cardinals at their place? Let's finish this magical season off with a bang. I love the quote that Braun said saying they can't afford to lose a single game if they want to win the division. Love the mindset of this team.

Archived