Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-25: Brewers (Gonzalez) at Cardinals (Gomber) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 12-4 -- Braun 2 HRs, Yelich for MVP of NL, AL, & Universe]

Eye Black
  • Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's the strategy I would think they let Gio try to work through a min of two Carp AB's and then get Chase in there.

I'd have my money on Woodruff before Chase in a need for a longer innings guy while still in a close game. Didn't management show us last night their comfort level with Chase right now?

I think it is fair to say that none of us know what comfort level they have with any of our pitchers since most figured that Peralta was a mop up only guy (if that even) and then there he was last night, helping us win a huge ball game.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Of course, we're making best guesses here. Sorry if it came off more than that. That would be my guess right now based off that info last night. we'll see, hopefully we don't really even need to find out. And of course even if trust is lacking in Anderson it doesn't necessarily mean they trust Woodruff more than him.

Unless it's a huge RBI situation in a close game, I don't think they need to work the entire game plan around Carpenter. He's going to get at least one AB against Gio with the bases empty. Hopefully Gio gets through Carpenter's 2nd AB, and then if it's Woodruff or Anderson, he's just going to get ABs off a RHP. I don't want to burn Woodruff after an inning because we HAVE to bring in a lefty to face Carpenter, only to leave us with Lyles, Albers, etc. in the late (or god forbid, extra) innings.

Carpenter is good, but this isn't peak Barry Bonds we're talking about here.

Agree Carp isn't a world beater but they showed last night that they are clearly more worried about him the rest of the Cards order. Will be very interesting to see how they handle this tonight, lets just jump to a big lead and not have to worry about Carpenter or anyone else on that roster.

I personally think they are saving and planning to use Anderson against Detroit...probably game 1 or 2 against them. I'm expecting Woodruff to piggy back with GG to some degree. I'm not sure GG goes 5-6 innings as some are suggesting, I hope to be wrong here but if I was CC I'd have a plan in place for pulling him after 3-4. That likely means Woodruff for as long as you get quality from him and bullpen from there. Many of the guys that pitched yesterday should be available today. Hopefully Jeffress is available today or tomorrow, I heard neck spasms but no timeline.

So, on paper this appears to be the most likely game we drop in the series. Paper can be worthless, but pulling this one off would obviously be big. They all are at this point.

We all want the sweep, but 2-1 is realistic, if the Cubs could go 1-2 T-TH, that'd leave us 1 back heading into the final series, with STL needing to fight for its life.

Hmm. I thought last night's game was the tough one because of Flaherty. We'll see what happens. Even if we lose the next two we still leave St. Louis ahead of the Cards in the standings and play a much worse opponent this weekend than the Cards have to. Just one more win would be gravy though as that would clinch a tie breaker over the Cards.

I personally think they are saving and planning to use Anderson against Detroit...probably game 1 or 2 against them. I'm expecting Woodruff to piggy back with GG to some degree. I'm not sure GG goes 5-6 innings as some are suggesting, I hope to be wrong here but if I was CC I'd have a plan in place for pulling him after 3-4. That likely means Woodruff for as long as you get quality from him and bullpen from there. Many of the guys that pitched yesterday should be available today. Hopefully Jeffress is available today or tomorrow, I heard neck spasms but no timeline.

I tend to agree with you re: Chase.

I also think if the Brewers make it to the NLDS and the opponent is the Cubs that Chase will get a start in that series. He's been strong vs the Cubs this season.

If that's the strategy I would think they let Gio try to work through a min of two Carp AB's and then get Chase in there.

But Gio will almost surely get his first at-bat before Carpenter gets his 2nd, and that would be a waste of offense. They will wait and see what happens, but I guarantee that's a strong consideration. Gio is not enough of an advantage against Carpenter to justify a plate appearance and a bunch of extra at-bats against RHB's.

I let Gio hit if he looks good on the mound and if there is nobody on with 2 outs. Obviously I let him hit if the Brewers jump out to a big early lead, too. That's basically it though.

But Gio will almost surely get his first at-bat before Carpenter gets his 2nd, and that would be a waste of offense. They will wait and see what happens, but I guarantee that's a strong consideration. Gio is not enough of an advantage against Carpenter to justify a plate appearance and a bunch of extra at-bats against RHB's.

I let Gio hit if he looks good on the mound and if there is nobody on with 2 outs. Obviously I let him hit if the Brewers jump out to a big early lead, too. That's basically it though.

I think GG is going to have to hit today unless he's awful. We used a lot of relievers yesterday and who knows how Jeffress is looking right now. GG not hitting probably means 2 innings, it would be a bit of a struggle to cover the next 7 innings unless Woodruff is exceptionally sharp. I highly doubt GG hit's twice unless he's allowed less than 2 runs at that point...once seems about right.

Don't see that happening. BA said they didn't think that Anderson matched up well with the Cards at this point based on his repertoire and I assume velocity.

Cards have a predominately right handed lineup and Chase has a pretty significant reverse split this season.

Freddy on the other hand has dominated right handed hitters which I assume was a big factor in him getting the call last night.

I'm going to all three games in this series -- my amazing spouse got me tickets for father's day. Last night was, by far, the most consequential baseball game I've ever gotten to see in person. It was beautiful; I hope tonight will be a repeat or better.

The Brewers can play loose now. Their likeliest landing spot -- WC1 --is now extremely likely. The division is in view, and they'll play hard for that, but we aren't fighting for our postseason lives like the Cardinals are. We needed one and got it. Now we can get greedy.

Augie just said Gomber was prone to giving up home runs.

He's given up 4 homers in 69 innings........

guys hit breakaballs out of the bawpark when he pitches...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived