Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-24: Brewers (Bullpen) at Cardinals (Flaherty) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-4 -- Lots of drama & a clutch W!]

Eye Black
  • Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This really feels like there were a handful of you just waiting in the wings ready to jump in with the criticisms the second something bad happened. Which is sad.

If you are doing a bullpen game, you do a bullpen game. Not a Freddy Peralta start disguised as a bullpen game because you tossed your disposable lefty in there for the first hitter. Counsell has had some great games playing matchups this year. This one was a miss though.

If you're doing a bullpen game, you don't have to bring in a new guy every inning. And as of this posting, reliever #2 has gone 3 and 2/3rds allowing 1 run. At least put the pitchforks away until something worth crucifying the manager happens.

It's not hard to figure out. They don't have 5 lefties in the pen to face Carpenter every AB.

Ding ding ding. 2 outs guy on first is literally the second least dangerous time to face carpenter. Save Cedeno Hader for what could be a more difficult time later. Peralta just threw a bad pitch. You could've tried Hader there and then gotten through the 4th with him but I'm sure they wanted to save him for a bit later, and as I said it was the 2nd least dangerous time possible to have a righty vs Carpenter.

I do note that I'm a bit surprised they went this long with Peralta and that they allowed him to hit. But as the announcers said he has looked very good so maybe they just rode him a bit longer than planned and there was nobody on base when his AB came up so...

People are acting like Carpenter's Trout, he's been streaky all year and his last 103 ABs he's hit to the tune of .214/.333/.330/.663. Peralta threw a bad pitch, but he's been able to throw 3 2/3 innings of 1 run ball. That may have not have been the plan going into the game, but CC saw an opportunity to save a couple pitchers. The game is tied at 1 and we have 5 additional games left in the season. This isn't game 7 of the World Series.

This really feels like there were a handful of you just waiting in the wings ready to jump in with the criticisms the second something bad happened. Which is sad.

If you are doing a bullpen game, you do a bullpen game. Not a Freddy Peralta start disguised as a bullpen game because you tossed your disposable lefty in there for the first hitter. Counsell has had some great games playing matchups this year. This one was a miss though.

If you're doing a bullpen game, you don't have to bring in a new guy every inning. And as of this posting, reliever #2 has gone 3 and 2/3rds allowing 1 run. At least put the pitchforks away until something worth crucifying the manager happens.

I think the argument is, if you are going to let Carpenter beat you, why play games? Just start the guy that was slated to start, and has good numbers against the Cardinals. I know you can''t predict how Anderson would have done, but he's been solid the first couple times through the order for the most part.

Now lets score some runs, and make all this arguing moot!

Except it wouldn't have been every inning, it would have been to face a lefty named Carpenter, who we were not going to allow to beat us.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Freddy should be done now. T Williams time.

I'd think that with Hader ready for Carpenter if danger and then more after Carpenter. That should get you through at least 6, maybe 7. If Williams goes 123. maybe start Cedono in 6th then someone like soria or Knebel

Except it wouldn't have been every inning, it would have been to face a lefty named Carpentar, who we were not going to allow to beat us.

There isn't enough lefties to face carpenter every time though. Had to risk it at some point and that was the 2nd least dangerous time possible

There isn't enough lefties to face carpenter every time though. Had to risk it at some point and that was the 2nd least dangerous time possible

Bolding it doesn't make your point more salient. With a runner on, the right move was to bring in a lefty. Worry about later later.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Bolding it doesn't make your point more salient. With a runner on, the right move was to bring in a lefty. Worry about later later.

I bolded it because I couldn't quote normal due to many posts in it. So it isolated what new was said. Thanks for the condescension though.

So what would ya'll have said if he used Cedono there and then later with bases loaded 2 outs he has to use Barnes.

This would have been a good time to use Thames actually. Vs a righty, HR gives you a 2 run lead, strike out lets you start at the top of the order next inning.

Why use Thames with no one on later. This was the perfect time.

So what would ya'll have said if he used Cedono there and then later with bases loaded 2 outs he has to use Barnes.

I can't speak for the rest of y'all, but I would have said it was the right thing to do with a man on...

Worry about later, later.

Archived