Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-24: Brewers (Bullpen) at Cardinals (Flaherty) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-4 -- Lots of drama & a clutch W!]

Eye Black
  • Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't the entire point of Jennings starting was to not allow Carpentar to face a righty for the entire game?

This is the kind of decision making that is maddening when it comes to bullpen management.

All the fuss and it ends up not mattering because you can't stick to the game plan?

Frustrating.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I mean, hell, if the strategy was to make Carpenter face lefties, then make him face a lefty.

I wouldn't be surprised if strategy was adjusted because Peralta was locked in for a few hitters. Probably PH him when his spot comes due again.

This. Just so happened he threw his worst pitch of the night to the guy they did this whole thing to avoid :laughing

I mean, hell, if the strategy was to make Carpenter face lefties, then make him face a lefty.

I wouldn't be surprised if strategy was adjusted because Peralta was locked in for a few hitters. Probably PH him when his spot comes due again.

Ok, but why not go with what worked his fisrt time at the plate. Just makes no sense. Carp is probably laughing his rear off, as is the rest of Cardinal nation.

It's always something.

I think there's a good chance the plan changed when they got the lead, it looked like Peralta was dealing, and they had a chance to save some of the the bullpen for the rest of the series. No reason to be stubborn if a better option forms as the game proceeds.

Having Peralta face Carpenter with a man on is not an acceptable deviation.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

So we start Jennings just to face Carpenter when there will be no one on, but then you let him face Carpenter with a guy on?

Why not just start Peralta or someone else if you don't want Chase starting?

Stop with the logic.

Allowing Peralta to face Carp just took the fun out of this. Here I thought we were being innovative, and trying something new.

Only to screw it up when it was an obvious situation to make a pitching change, based on the entire point of starting Jennings in the first place.

I think there's a good chance the plan changed when they got the lead, it looked like Peralta was dealing, and they had a chance to save some of the the bullpen for the rest of the series. No reason to be stubborn if a better option forms as the game proceeds.

Having Peralta face Carpenter with a man on is not an acceptable deviation.

Peralta is, putting it optimistically, not dependable at this point in his career. He may be someday, but his command just isn't what it needs to be to be a dependable option on a playoff club. He was pitching well, and I think Counsell got a little greedy. It happens.

I mean, if you are going to leave Peralta in to face him...intentionally walk him. I don't care if there's two outs and a guy on first. Intentionally walk him EVERY freaking AB of the series as long as the bases aren't loaded. Why not?? It saves all the bullpen management shenanigans.

Archived