Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-24: Brewers (Bullpen) at Cardinals (Flaherty) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-4 -- Lots of drama & a clutch W!]

Eye Black
Honestly, I just don't get this. Our starters have gotten us to 22 games over .500, so why are we doing this now? I mean, short-term, I get it, Anderson gives up the homerun early and often, but this is a 3 game series... Why not just keep him on a short leash? I could easily see this backfiring and destroying the bullpen for the next few games and/or post-season.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yelich is back in there so seems like the HBP from yesterday was no big deal.

Carpenter is batting leadoff and is the only lefty batter in the line up. Sets up nicely for Williams of Barnes to come in after Carpenter bats in the first inning. Then if they want to put in their "bulk" guy after they get to the first pitcher spot in the line up it makes sense since they probably won't double switch any of these starters out early in the game.

You have an off day coming Thursday to fully rest the bullpen no matter what happens here. If you end up using Hader/Jeffress each two innings tonight though it could really limit the team Tuesday though. Personally I probably just go Anderson on a quick hook like they've been doing but I appreciate the attempt here. They're viewing this as must win, if you get the W yuou're up 3 with 5 games left, lose and you're only up 1. It's a huge swing to the %s.

I tend to agree unless they are planning on throwing Guerra, Peralta, Woodruff etc.....guys that are technically our B rotation arms in the hopes we can play matchups to get through the game or at least the majority of the game before you see more of our A arms.

Would be nice to just jump out to an early lead and be able to use the B arms throughout.

I don't like it. I get it in a one game, win or go home scenario like a WC game, but I don't like it for game 1 of an extremely important 3 game series.

They could put themselves in an awful position for games 2 and 3 of the series if they burn up the top arms in the bullpen tonight and lose. Just start Chase and have a super short leash on him. I guess if they are planning on Guerra, Peralta or Woodruff right after Jennings, it could turn out OK.

One thing that's for sure is they're not afraid of setting themselves up for criticism. I'm glad they're not worried about fan opinion if they believe in what they're doing. The cries will be very loud if the Cards light them up tonight. And they'll only get louder if this is the start of a sweep. I don't have all the info they have available, none of us do. They have something STRONGLY telling them this is the way to go and I'm placing my trust in that.

This is how I have it plotted out in my head:

Jennings faces just Carpenter and is removed regardless of result.

Williams or Barnes comes in to finish the first inning.

If the offense gets through 9 batters in the first 2 innings then Guerra comes in to work 2-4 innings. If they haven't gotten through that first time through the order after 2 innings they'll go with the other of Williams or Barnes and Guerra comes in for the 3rd inning.

Then from there it depends on where they're at with the score. If it's within a run or two they use the "A" relievers. If they're down by 3+ runs it's the "B" relievers.

One thing that's for sure is they're not afraid of setting themselves up for criticism. I'm glad they're not worried about fan opinion if they believe in what they're doing. The cries will be very loud if the Cards light them up tonight. And they'll only get louder if this is the start of a sweep. I don't have all the info they have available, none of us do. They have something STRONGLY telling them this is the way to go and I'm placing my trust in that.

I agree completely with this. I get a bit tired of all the criticism of a manager who's team, despite how they finish this year, has outperformed expectations for the 2nd year in a row. I know someone who has basically told me that even if the Brewers win the WS, they will have done it despite CC's "bad" managing. They refuse to give him credit for anything. I particularly agree with the "I don't have all the info they have available, none of us do" comment and I'll add that we, as fans, are not with the team for several hours each day over the course of a 162 game schedule so there are other factors that we may not be completely aware of that go into the decisions that are made. Baseball is not managed in a vacuum. There is not a "blackjack cheat card" that you can use pull out that tells you what to do in every situation. Decisions that are made during one game can not only effect the outcome of that game, but also the outcome of the next 2 or 3 games.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Something not mentioned since "bullpen" game was declared over Anderson start. But, at same time has been mention on Flaherty's solid outings vs us, What if the plan is Bullpen game throughout if competitive, but turning to Anderson to finish the game should it be fairly out of hand? That notation hes avg. 74pitches during this stretch would be something he could throw beyond in a game he's cleaning up vs managed to come away with a win? The bullpen then isnt exhausted as is worried here.

While I like the thought this is a playoff preview if this strategy was used, I don't gather the info that well off this game with Jennings being your starter? Can you honestly tell me he'd be the WC game starter? Carpenter takes him deep, 4 runs given up in first inning, etc., the game is going to managed differently vs. The pregame plan.

This is how I have it plotted out in my head:

Jennings faces just Carpenter and is removed regardless of result.

Williams or Barnes comes in to finish the first inning.

If the offense gets through 9 batters in the first 2 innings then Guerra comes in to work 2-4 innings. If they haven't gotten through that first time through the order after 2 innings they'll go with the other of Williams or Barnes and Guerra comes in for the 3rd inning.

Then from there it depends on where they're at with the score. If it's within a run or two they use the "A" relievers. If they're down by 3+ runs it's the "B" relievers.

I can't believe we are talking about Guerra attempting to get anyone out at this point. He's had a 6.00+ ERA in the second half and has looked pretty terrible his past several starts. I would much rather they go with Woodruff than Guerra at this point.

Guerra has great numbers in 3 starts vs the Cards this season and has looked very good since his move to the pen.

Obviously that doesn't mean he will.pitch good tonight if he gets in the game but there is an argument to be made.

Ya that’s basically my thoughts as well. Additionally, righty heavy line up for the cards is an added benefit.

Jennings has been fine against LHP's. It is selective memory to suggest otherwise.

I'd just give him one batter. Then bring in another short reliever. But the most important thing is to keep any pitcher from batting. That's why I love this move. No excuse for wasting a plate appearance when you expanded rosters with just 7 games in the next 10 days.

I think the pitcher's spot should be higher up than usual. Make sure you get a PH in the 2nd inning and then settle in to a long reliever like Anderson, Woodruff, or Guerra until the pitcher's spot comes up again.

I'm curious to hear what the pundits have to say about this bullpen start. If it works to a tee CC and company will be lauded and there will surely be copycat teams doing it. If not he'll be lambasted for over manuevering, over thinking, panicking, sending the wrong signal to his players or gawd knows what else.

Either way the announcers will surely complain about the many game delays. But this does add a dimension of interest to a game that is already HUGE....I'm gonna need more beer.

I'm curious to hear what the pundits have to say about this bullpen start. If it works to a tee CC and company will be lauded and there will surely be copycat teams doing it. If not he'll be lambasted for over manuevering, over thinking, panicking, sending the wrong signal to his players or gawd knows what else.

Either way the announcers will surely complain about the many game delays. But this does add a dimension of interest to a game that is already HUGE....I'm gonna need more beer.

If we give up runs early tonight it's not like Chase hasn't been doing that on a regular basis anyway.

If this was somebody else's turn they wouldn't have done it.

No second guessing from me no matter what happens.

Archived