Brewer Fanatic

Anderson Skipped in Rotation, Bullpen Start Tomorrow

True Blue Brew Crew

What's the last point in which a team can change a starting pitcher (without losing his availability for the game) or make a last minute lineup change? I would assume it just has to happen before the lineup cards are brought to the umps at the beginning of the game? So while the opposing team usually knows who's pitching based on schedules/etc., they don't really know for sure until they've already made out their card and handed it in, correct?

I would love to see how much complaining there will be if they load up the top of their lineup with righties in response to the announcement that Jennings is starting and then we start a righty anyways, lol. Or maybe we don't plan on pitching Jennings anyways and are okay just wasting him at the beginning of the game to bust up their lineup. That must break about 20 unwritten rules in the Cards' "rule bible." :laughing

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the last point in which a team can change a starting pitcher (without losing his availability for the game) or make a last minute lineup change? I would assume it just has to happen before the lineup cards are brought to the umps at the beginning of the game? So while the opposing team usually knows who's pitching based on schedules/etc., they don't really know for sure until they've already made out their card and handed it in, correct?

I would love to see how much complaining there will be if they load up the top of their lineup with righties in response to the announcement that Jennings is starting and then we start a righty anyways, lol. Or maybe we don't plan on pitching Jennings anyways and are okay just wasting him at the beginning of the game to bust up their lineup. That must break about 20 unwritten rules in the Cards' "rule bible." :laughing

Correct, that's why lineups are exchanged at the same time prior to the start of the game. CC could literally pencil in a change as he's walking over to home plate if he wanted to.

Also, good point about the Cards unwritten baseball rules book. NOWHERE in that book does it say you can start a relief pitcher.

If this ever catches on, and I hope it does, I think it would become a game within a game. You try to out-guess the opposing manager and then you both reveal your lineups at the same time. You could even force teams to hand in lineups a little earlier so the opponents can't see who's warming up. I love the "simultaneous secret action planning" mechanic in board games and sports. If you really guess wrong at this time of year, with expanded rosters, you even could take a guy out of the game before the first pitch.

On that note, where does Jennings hit? Because I think it behooves you to pinch hit for him in the top of the 2nd if possible, assuming you aren't sure you want to pull a double switch so early in the game.

If this ever catches on, and I hope it does, I think it would become a game within a game. You try to out-guess the opposing manager and then you both reveal your lineups at the same time. You could even force teams to hand in lineups a little earlier so the opponents can't see who's warming up. I love the "simultaneous secret action planning" mechanic in board games and sports. If you really guess wrong at this time of year, with expanded rosters, you even could take a guy out of the game before the first pitch.

The expanded rosters aspect is key. Much easier to do this now vs over a full regular season where a bullpen isn't loaded with 14-15 pitchers.

If this ever catches on, and I hope it does, I think it would become a game within a game. You try to out-guess the opposing manager and then you both reveal your lineups at the same time.

Rock, paper, scissors...JENNINGS!

In the end what it really came down to was swapping Chase for Freddy and using Jennings to merely eliminate one at bat for Carpenter vs the righty. Says a lot about their opinion of Peralta to me. I know it could be said that I'm reading too much into this but this is just further confirmation of what I've been hearing with regard to the team's very high level of confidence in his stuff.

it’s easy for me to say this as a Monday morning qb, but this game really worked out well for the Brewers. Most importantly they got the win, but it also allowed them to work out a few BP arms that have had some limited innings over the last couple of weeks with the expanded roster and with need for elite pitching in this tight NL Central division

I still can’t believe, in the biggest game of the year, that they depended so much on a guy, Peralta, that threw 1 inning in the past 26 days.

I was surprised as well, but he sure brought some electric stuff to the table last night. Talk about a confidence booster for a young pitcher...

For all the hooting and hollering last night about whether to pull Peralta for that Carpenter AB, I thought CC's explanation was very simple and made perfect sense. Basically, we made too much of it as fans of being a 'bullpen' game. They viewed it as Peralta going as long as he could just like a starter, but they wanted to give him help by eliminating one Carpenter AB so he only had to face him once. Simple as that and makes fine sense.

And really, I don't see any reason you wouldn't try the same thing tomorrow when we have a righty starter again.

Any word on their plans for Anderson? I've never been a big believer in him, but you don't just bench him completely... do you?

I do like the fact that everyone has to constantly earn their spot. Everyone except Chacin is pretty comparable, and they have to establish a precedent that you do what's best for the team no matter what your credentials are - like Braun learning 1B, for example. Yet another reason to love this team.

Any word on their plans for Anderson? I've never been a big believer in him, but you don't just bench him completely... do you?

I do like the fact that everyone has to constantly earn their spot. Everyone except Chacin is pretty comparable, and they have to establish a precedent that you do what's best for the team no matter what your credentials are - like Braun learning 1B, for example. Yet another reason to love this team.

I haven't seen anything confirming it one way or another, but I would imagine Anderson is lined up to pitch a game against the Tigers at Miller this weekend. While he hasn't been the solid #2 he showed last year, Chase's numbers are still solid overall, and I would think they'd want to get some innings out of their starters against the Tigers in order to preserve pen depth.

I haven't seen anything confirming it one way or another, but I would imagine Anderson is lined up to pitch a game against the Tigers at Miller this weekend. While he hasn't been the solid #2 he showed last year, Chase's numbers are still solid overall, and I would think they'd want to get some innings out of their starters against the Tigers in order to preserve pen depth.

I was hoping he'd go a few innings against the Cards' many RHB's today. I don't think there's any excuse for having a pitcher bat at this time of year, as rested as they are, when the Brewers' starters aren't any better than the long relievers anyway. So they might need a long reliever early.

Gonzalez will obviously get more batters than Jennings did, but I see no reason he should bat unless maybe there's 2 outs and nobody on. Look how Peralta batted yesterday and then the next guy got a hit with 2 outs and nobody on. Maybe someone could have been on base when Cain got a hit, giving Yelich and Aguilar both a chance to bat with runners on. Then Peralta gave up a run in the bottom of the inning anyway.

I was hoping he'd go a few innings against the Cards' many RHB's today. I don't think there's any excuse for having a pitcher bat at this time of year, as rested as they are, when the Brewers' starters aren't any better than the long relievers anyway. So they might need a long reliever early.

Gonzalez will obviously get more batters than Jennings did, but I see no reason he should bat unless maybe there's 2 outs and nobody on. Look how Peralta batted yesterday and then the next guy got a hit with 2 outs and nobody on. Maybe someone could have been on base when Cain got a hit, giving Yelich and Aguilar both a chance to bat with runners on. Then Peralta gave up a run in the bottom of the inning anyway.

I don't think I agree with the not let Gio bat aspects, assuming a normal 0-2 runs giving up by then. Basic reasoning being they used a lot of BP guys last night so I just think they're hoping for some length out of Gio tonight to ease that load. CC said as much after the game. If he's struggling, tons of balls, whatever where you think he just doesn't have it. Sure have an early hok and hope for better from Woodruff or Anderson. But I think they're hoping for 5-6 from Gio here to lighten the load on the pen after last night.

I still can’t believe, in the biggest game of the year, that they depended so much on a guy, Peralta, that threw 1 inning in the past 26 days.

And let him pitch so long...it was a strange game.

Check out Peralta's splits. vs RHB he's a .111/209 with 396 OPS. Seems like it was a very strategic move for this reason vs an all righty lineup other than one guy. Might have showed their hand for the WC though. Although by then Wong might be back, maybe they could play Carpenter at 3B to get Adams in. I don't recall how much Carpenter ha played off first this year, but in the past he's been versatile.

Archived