Brewer Fanatic

Anderson Skipped in Rotation, Bullpen Start Tomorrow

True Blue Brew Crew
Meh, I don't like this game been treated differently, like there's no tomorrow. There are 6 more games and, hopefully, a game with no tomorrow next week.

I don't see this as them treating it much differently. They had bullpen starts last year in the midst of a playoff race as well.

I kinda think that Counsell has been secretly itching to try this all year, but the solid work from his rotation has kept him from doing it. With rosters expanded and the bullpen busting at the seams with guys right now, it's the perfect opportunity to go this route. Plus Chase strikes me as the type of guy who already pitches with a chip on his shoulder, so I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out next weekend against the Tigers and throws 7 shoutout innings.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont like it. If it aint broke......

I have mixed feelings..

We are still winning, doesn't seem like the best idea to make any big changes at this point.

On the flip side, if this is the plan for the wildcard game, might as well test it out. Would rather have tested it out vs someone other than the Cardinals since that is more than likely who we will face in the WC game.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Brewers bat first, so I'm thinking they go with a pure reliever to start, maybe Barnes or Soria and he goes until his time in the batting order comes up, then gets replaced by Guerra who stays in until his spot comes up, unless the Brewers have forged a lead of 2 runs or more in which case he pitches through the 5th or longer.

I think the idea is to get 9 bats in the lineup from the first time through the order. They have to be careful not to burn the back end studs.

Anderson hasn't been any better than Woodruff, Guerra, or Peralta for a while now. There's no reason to let any of them go 2 times through the order and get at least one plate appearance when you have so many comparable long relief options. This also may have to do with Guerra, whom I expect to start, being a little better against the Cards, but bullpen depth is the real story here.

Chase had plenty of chances to keep his spot and has given up 30 HR's in 30 starts. That's playing with fire. Even last year, his FB:HR ratio was one of the luckiest in all of baseball. I don't think we're going to see 2016 Chase again for a few years, but he's not entirely a thing of the past either. The Brewers know this. I think they locked him up to a cheap deal just because they were confident he'd have some trade value when they were ready to move on.

Could this be a test run for a potential wild card game? Gives Counsell a bit of practice navigating our probable opponents lineup in a one game scenario. Of course, it's not even close to the same thing as rosters will be at 25 and pressure will be 100x higher in the WC game, but it at least gives Counsell and the pitching staff a chance to prepare early against our opponent and the batters we will be seeing. It's clear with our pitching staff that in a one game playoff we will do the "one out at a time" approach rather than the "give the ball to your ace" approach.

Could this be a test run for a potential wild card game? Gives Counsell a bit of practice navigating our probable opponents lineup in a one game scenario. Of course, it's not even close to the same thing as rosters will be at 25 and pressure will be 100x higher in the WC game, but it at least gives Counsell and the pitching staff a chance to prepare early against our opponent and the batters we will be seeing. It's clear with our pitching staff that in a one game playoff we will do the "one out at a time" approach rather than the "give the ball to your ace" approach.

I don't think it is. The bench is too short to use up PH early in the game with rosters at 25 men. I think he'll have a very short leash and a guy ready, but that guy will be the starter not being penciled in as part of the playoff rotation.

My guess is Guerra for 2 or 3 then a full fledged inning by inning approach.

I secretly want to see Corbin get his first big league start and see how it goes.

I openly want to see Corbin get the start in one of these games. We don't need him to go 7...just 3-4 innings and I think he's more than capable of going through the lineup once and shutting them down. One of the few confusing decisions by the Brewers this year was to go with Peralta over Burnes...I get it was his spot the first time up, so he didn't have to miss a beat, but Burnes is gonna end up with far fewer innings than last year. He's got TOR stuff and is ready.

They wouldn't have pitched Burnes an inning yesterday if they planned to "start" him today. I assume he is in the only if we really need him category for pitching today, after pitching 2 out of 3 games at Pitt.

"It's frustrating," he said. "Obviously they think that this is the better way to go at this time."

Interesting

No question this is how Anderson feels, and he should feel this way. You should want the ball, that's a good thing. But in the middle of a pennant race, a comment like this doesn't do the team any good. Keep it to yourself Chase.

I don't think it is. The bench is too short to use up PH early in the game with rosters at 25 men. I think he'll have a very short leash and a guy ready, but that guy will be the starter not being penciled in as part of the playoff rotation.

25 man roster but take 3 SP off that roster and add in 2 hitters and another BP arm and you're almost playing with an expanded roster again.

I don't particularly care for this move. Anderson has a lifetime 2.67 ERA against the Cardinals. The only way I like it is if you start a BP guy (maybe Burnes?) and then insert Anderson after an inning or two. Maybe Counsell is doing this to help Anderson with his first inning woes.

seems to be working for Tampa Bay...

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/08/23/tampa-bay-rays-bullpen

The Rays debuted the opener—in which a reliever starts the game and throws anywhere from one to three innings, then gives way to a new pitcher, who will usually throw three to five as essentially a second starter—on May 19 against the Angels, using veteran righty Sergio Romo to pitch the first. They haven’t looked back since. Across the last four months and 84 games, 50 starts have gone to eight different relievers: Romo, Ryan Yarbrough, Ryne Stanek, Hunter Wood, Wilmer Font, Jonny Venters, Matt Andriese, Diego Castillo, and Yonny Chirinos. As openers, they’ve combined for 93 innings and 41 earned runs—a 3.97 ERA, or better than the league average of 4.15.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Matt Carpenter is a lefty and typically leads off - Wouldn't be surprised if Jennings just faces him and we have Guerra stretched and warmed ready to get right in. Wild.

Because Jennings has been so great at getting lefties out this year.

BOOO!

Starting Jennings is just too cute for me...

Matt Carpenter is a lefty and typically leads off - Wouldn't be surprised if Jennings just faces him and we have Guerra stretched and warmed ready to get right in. Wild.

Because Jennings has been so great at getting lefties out this year.

BOOO!

Starting Jennings is just too cute for me...

Jennings vs. LHB 2018

.228/.268/.307/.575

Jennings vs. LHB 2015-17

.233/.322/.314/.636

Seems pretty good to me.

If we start him to face one guy, I am going to laugh.

It’d be even better if it was one batter and then Anderson came in and went 6 strong. “Bullpen game”

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah, if this is literally to face just one guy (Carpenter), what is preventing the Cards from just moving him back into the 3 or 4 hole in this game - which would still keep him up near the top of the order? I know some may say that the Cards wouldn't want to do this as it would be getting them out of their normal routine, etc. But, it would make total sense for me if I were the Cards manager to load up 3-4 righties at the top of the order tonight and play a game of chess here with the Brewers.

Yeah, if this is literally to face just one guy (Carpenter), what is preventing the Cards from just moving him back into the 3 or 4 hole in this game - which would still keep him up near the top of the order? I know some may say that the Cards wouldn't want to do this as it would be getting them out of their normal routine, etc. But, it would make total sense for me if I were the Cards manager to load up 3-4 righties at the top of the order tonight and play a game of chess here with the Brewers.

Because we could then not have Jennings start. And it would go back and forth until one side caves.

Yup, makes sense...

This will be interesting for certain.

Oh, and I highly doubt that anyone from the front office is directing CC on how to handle game time decisions. His job depends on what happens with game management, no way he could ever be fired if he is only doing what he is told to do by the front office.

Archived