Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-22: Brewers (Davies) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-0]

Eye Black

HF44cDX.jpg

HF44vnX.jpg

[pre]Brewers Lineup Pirates Lineup

1. Curtis Granderson (L) RF 1. Adam Frazier (L) 2B

2. Christian Yelich (L) CF 2. Starling Marte ® CF

3. Ryan Braun ® LF 3. Josh Bell (S) 1B

4. Travis Shaw (L) 1B 4. Corey Dickerson (L) LF

5. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B 5. Jordan Luplow ® RF

6. Jonathan Schoop ® 2B 6. Kevin Kramer (L) 3B

7. Erik Kratz ® C 7. Kevin Newman ® SS

8. Orlando Arcia ® SS 8. Jacob Stallings ® C

9. Zach Davies ® P 9. Trevor Williams ® P[/pre]

Link: Brewers Game Notes

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is small sample sizes all around, but the Brewers have yet to have any success against Trevor Williams. Hopefully they can put together some good at bats against him today and improve on these dreadful numbers versus Williams.

HF4hZjc.jpg

No one has been able to hit Trevor Williams. His 2nd half ERA is 1.19 and OPS-A is .544.

He doesn't strike a lot of guys out, has a likely unsustainable BABIP (.253), and doesn't have a soft contact % that is that great but his hard hit % is pretty low. Keeps guys off-balance.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No one has been able to hit Trevor Williams. His 2nd half ERA is 1.19 and OPS-A is .544.

He doesn't strike a lot of guys out, has a likely unsustainable BABIP (.253), and doesn't have a soft contact % that is that great but his hard hit % is pretty low. Keeps guys off-balance.

raw

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How did Lyles get an RBI in his only AB with a strike out?

Looked it up. It came when he was a padre on May 20th. Struck out first at bat and second plate appearance was a squeeze play. Counted as a sac bunt so no at bat for it.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Hope they don't regret using all their best relievers last night. I didn't follow the game - did they really need to use everyone with a 4-run lead? I guess they've blown more than their share of leads lately, but you'd think they could finish that game without using everyone. It was a good model of what a wild card game would probably look like for the Brewers though.

All of the relievers will be available today if needed with possible exception of Hader.

Considering how important every win is now.....and that they were all well rested....the use of the pen was very appropriate.

JJ want in the 9th because he hadn't worked in a week.......sometimes it works out that way.

Ah, I figured it was a sacrifice of some sort, but thought that sac flies still counted as ABs. Didn't think of a squeeze play.

Sac flies do not count as ABs. Except if you're calulating OBP. So if a guy comes to the plate 4 times in a day, hits 2 sac flies, strikes out once and gets a single, he has a .500 batting average and .250 OBP. They're a weird one like that.

All of the relievers will be available today if needed with possible exception of Hader.

Considering how important every win is now.....and that they were all well rested....the use of the pen was very appropriate.

JJ want in the 9th because he hadn't worked in a week.......sometimes it works out that way.

I thought it was probably unnecessary to go more than 1 inning with Hader, and I would have liked to save someone like Knebel from going.

I'm not mad about it or anything, just probably would have used the chance to get a guy like Williams or Woodruff some work at least with a short leash rather than using every good arm in the pen with a big lead.

I thought it was probably unnecessary to go more than 1 inning with Hader, and I would have liked to save someone like Knebel from going.

Exactly. What if they play 2 close games in a row? It's unusual to use your 4 best relievers with a 4-run lead in a regular season game. Even saving one of them for the next 2 games could be the difference between winning and losing one of them.

I'm going to say it: This is a must win tonight. Cards win dramatically, we are 1.5 behind the Cubs, every game from this point on is a must win scenario. We hold our destiny in our own hands...(not saying we have to win all 8, this is baseball)
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

So, in 13 innings against Williams this year, the Brewers have a grand total of three hits (and four walks.) That's... kind of concerning. I'm really hoping their hot bats carry over and they get the better of him the second time around after seeing him less than a week ago. And, Zach, please give us a good one tonight.

I don't think we have many "must win" games in the regular season. For the division, sure, but I don't do jinxes and we are surely headed at least to the wild card. We're at 99.7% and a magic number of five. It would be historic at this point if we didn't make it. Our division chance has increased to 19% which is pretty reasonable.

But I still think it's important to go in playing well no matter what seed we are, instead of backing into it.

Ah, I figured it was a sacrifice of some sort, but thought that sac flies still counted as ABs. Didn't think of a squeeze play.

Sac flies do not count as ABs. Except if you're calulating OBP. So if a guy comes to the plate 4 times in a day, hits 2 sac flies, strikes out once and gets a single, he has a .500 batting average and .250 OBP. They're a weird one like that.

A sacrifice is like a walk. Doesn’t count as an AB, but does count as a plate appearance.

I am not Shea Vucinich

That was such a great game last night with the homers and the pitching. Shaw and Moose hit their homers to an empty centerfield. Granted the weather wasn't the best but seeing the balls rattling around the empty seats was pretty bad. Tonight the Brewer killer Williams had better not have a good game. Beat the Bucs!

A sacrifice is like a walk. Doesn’t count as an AB, but does count as a plate appearance.

Except sacrifices count negatively against your OBP. Walks and HBP count positively for it.

While it is disappointing the Brewers haven’t manufactured a run, it is at least nice that they have Williams up over 60 pitches through 3 innings. I know the Pirates have some very good relievers as well, but I’ll gladly take my chances versus that group.

Archived