Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-21: Brewers (Chacín) at Pirates (Nova) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-3 -- Offense explodes in 6th, with 3 HR]

Eye Black
For me, the Kratz/Pina thing is just such a silly thing to get hung up on. Neither are great options. Both are backup quality. But it’s strange that so many want the Brewers to use metrics but when they don’t agree with who they want to be playing, then we should be asking questions.

Not sure what metric you are referring to. Pina is superior in just about every possible statistical measurement.

It just seems like a fair question to me. Plenty of people were asking for answers when Villar all of the sudden found himself on the bench nearly every night despite being the clear best statistical option at 2nd at the time.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

1894 Phillies is correct. Impressive. They had the good Billy Hamilton, notice his 198 runs scored in 132 games

OK, who was the player/manager for the 1901 American league Milwaukee Brewers? Hint, he also has the record for the highest ever single season batting average

Didn't they switch to a more lively ball or something in 1894? I know run scoring in that season was way way way up. The Phillies scored 1179 runs (in 132 games) and had 6 players go over 100 runs scored. Crazy.

Simmons actually had more triples than Ryan Braun right now, 47 to 46

Yeah, I knew it wasn’t right, just trying to think of someone with a lot of ABs. I considered Buck Martinez and Porter too.

I wasn't trying to call you out, I was just surprised when I saw he had 47

No worries, I didn’t take it that way. I really enjoy your trivia questions.

It won’t matter what answer Counsell gives. Those that are hell bent on CC being asked the question won’t have their minds changed on the issue. They’ll just repeat that Kratz is a 38 year old no body and the Brewers will just continue to be successful.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

1894 Phillies is correct. Impressive. They had the good Billy Hamilton, notice his 198 runs scored in 132 games

OK, who was the player/manager for the 1901 American league Milwaukee Brewers? Hint, he also has the record for the highest ever single season batting average

Didn't they switch to a more lively ball or something in 1894? I know run scoring in that season was way way way up. The Phillies scored 1179 runs (in 132 games) and had 6 players go over 100 runs scored. Crazy.

I'm pretty sure that is the year they

1) moved the pitcher's mound back to 60'6" from like 50 ft

2) made the pitcher start from a set position, previously they could take a running start.

It won’t matter what answer Counsell gives. Those that are hell bent on CC being asked the question won’t have their minds changed on the issue. They’ll just repeat that Kratz is a 38 year old no body and the Brewers will just continue to be successful.

Well if you remember me at all on here I'm by no means a bash Counsel guy over every little thing. If anything I'm on the exact opposite side. I mean Braun missed 3 games and we find out he has a back issue. This is happening and there is no explanation at all. Like I said earlier, initially I thought some linger issues from the face HBP but that's weeks ago now. IF they come out and say the stats on the pitcher matchups this and that, HBP to Pina's face, we're trying a strategy to get our Cs totally in sync with the P so they're matched up together, so be it. They're the managers, do what you think is best but one would think after this long we'd know something.

The whole Pina vs Kratz thing is completely confusing to me. Pina was on the DL most of July He had recurring shoulder problems most of August and he has got hit in the face and needed stitches in September. The reason Kratz has played so much is Pina has been hurt.

Not a fan of Hader pitching another inning here. this means he is done for the weekend, rather than being able to pitch another high leverage inning Saturday or Sunday.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I get the feeling that Kratz seeing more time is due partially to pitcher preference. Perhaps several guys in the rotation just prefer him as the receiver. The numbers seemingly back that up, as several guys have much better numbers throwing to Kratz than they do Pina. I get the feeling Pina is going to see the majority of the time next year (probably 4-5 starts a week) with Nottingham as the #2 next year.

Not a fan of Hader pitching another inning here. this means he is done for the weekend, rather than being able to pitch another high leverage inning Saturday or Sunday.

Yes this is odd, I mean I don't hate it but +5 with JJ still available seems like we could take a little risk

Archived