Brewer Fanatic

Who would you start in the WC game?

bork
What is the difference between any of the five guys starting right now? I actually think that is an advantage for the crew that they don't have to really "line things up" because each of the five is the same guy essentially. I mean maybe there is a handedness advantage going against one of the Cards or Rox. Would it really move the needle if Davies were starting over Miley? I really don't know but I don't think so. This is a fascinating question because I can oscillate between choices almost hourly.

I agree except that I have seen enough HRs against Anderson to throw him out there. The others, if we go in with the plan of them just getting through the order 1 time then pulling after any trouble, I would be fine with any of them

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you know you are starting you have that much time to build up the anxiety. Whereas, if you are in the pen, you do not even know if you are going to pitch that day for sure. At least he would be able to get to sleep.

Yep ... that is why I am certain it wouldn't happen.

Josh Hader in the 1 game Wild Card has about a 95% chance of appearing. The only reason he wouldn't is if the Brewers are up 15-1...and they still probably would throw Hader. So he'll know he's pitching no matter what.

If you know you are starting you have that much time to build up the anxiety. Whereas, if you are in the pen, you do not even know if you are going to pitch that day for sure. At least he would be able to get to sleep.

Yep ... that is why I am certain it wouldn't happen.

Josh Hader in the 1 game Wild Card has about a 95% chance of appearing. The only reason he wouldn't is if the Brewers are up 15-1...and they still probably would throw Hader. So he'll know he's pitching no matter what.

I'm certain he won't be starting. I've been proven wrong a lot with this team, but this one I'm pretty confident in. In theory the idea makes sense, but it's way out of Counsell's wheelhouse.

my only problem with starting hader or burnes is, I don't think you can cover 9 innings with just Jeffress, Hader & Burnes. After those guys, I'd choose Chacin or Miley as most likely to be able to give you 2-4 innings without being torched, which would really get us in the wheelhouse for using those guys a couple innings each and get through a game with 3 runs or less given up.

Ideal situation.

Chacin 3 IP

Hader + Jeffress combine for 4 IP

Knebel 1 IP

Soria/Burnes/Cedeno/etc combine for 1 IP

Don't really want this game to get to extras and I would expect Counsell to be very aggressive with pitching changes. If the starter can go 3 IP giving up 0-1 run I like the Brewers chances.

my only problem with starting hader or burnes is, I don't think you can cover 9 innings with just Jeffress, Hader & Burnes. After those guys, I'd choose Chacin or Miley as most likely to be able to give you 2-4 innings without being torched, which would really get us in the wheelhouse for using those guys a couple innings each and get through a game with 3 runs or less given up.

My problem is why fix what isn't broken? I literally can't remember the last time where pitching has been the reason they lost the game. A playoff game is not a good time to experiment with starting a guy who hasn't started all year. I'm sure Hader would be up for the challenge, but again I wouldn't mess with what's working.

Let's face it, if the Brewers get shut-out or only put up one run it really doesn't matter if Drake starts.

I agree that you just go your normal route of starting either Chacin/Miley, or whichever starter you prefer based on the other teams hitters, and then yank early if needed and go to the pen. Basically what they've been doing all year. What has Chacin had, like 2 blow up starts since mid April? Miley with none so far. If you get through 5 innings with 1-2 runs out of them you should be set up really well

Chacin has faced the Cardinals 4 times this year. About 20 innings and 14 ER. Brewers are 2-2 in those games, losing badly twice (6-0 and 7-2) and winning close in the other two (2-1 and 5-4).

Miley has faced STL once, a 7-2 loss in which he gave up 4 R (1 ER) in 5 innings.

Davies one start. 6-1 loss. 5 IP 5 ER.

Gio has one start (With WASH). 6-4 loss. 4 IP 5 ER.

Hader has thrown 6 1/3 innings allowing 1 ER while striking out 16.

Do with that information what you will.

Chacin has faced the Cardinals 4 times this year. About 20 innings and 14 ER. Brewers are 2-2 in those games, losing badly twice (6-0 and 7-2) and winning close in the other two (2-1 and 5-4).

Miley has faced STL once, a 7-2 loss in which he gave up 4 R (1 ER) in 5 innings.

I know what do do with that information - hope the Brewers can defy logic and sweep the Cardinals next week.

And also, go Rockies!

Chase Anderson? (got numbers for him too?)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

By the way, I'm not advocating starting Hader with the above. Just throwing numbers onto the fire. I think pitchers are head cases and the idea of starting Hader or Burnes in a must win one game playoff might be a little too much for them to sleep on. Let the starter go once through the order or until he gets in trouble. Then Hader/Burnes/Knebel/Cedeno until it is time for Jeffress to seal up the season.

Chase Anderson? (got numbers for him too?)

Sorry, I'm a terrible person. There was an entire next page of starts that I missed.

Gio's stats are the same.

Guerra has faced them 3 times. 16 1/3 IP. 2 ER. Brewers 3-0.

Chase. 2 appearances. 9 IP. 5 ER. 4 HR's. Brewers 1-1.

Chacin's stats are the same.

Davies 2 appearances. 10 2/3 IP. 11 ER. Brewers 0-2.

Miley's stats are the same.

I really struggle to put that much stock in such small sample. Guerra will have pitched like 3 innings in the last 6 weeks after collapsing for two months and now we're going to put him in the biggest game of the year because of 3 games that probably happened 4 months ago. I'm skeptical.

Then have Stone Cold Jeremy Jeffress do it, as if he would care. He'd probably have his best outing of the season. :laughing

fwiw, Gio has started six postseason games in recent years. They haven't all been winners but at least he's been there.

You can generally tell if he's going to have a bad game if he starts walking people.

Chacin has earned it and it lines up pretty well with his off days anyway. I don't see any reason to get cute with it. He's been your rock in the rotation all year. There aren't enough relievers better than him to justify a full-blown bullpen game. In a more general sense, there's not enough difference between most of their pitching options to justify breaking routine too much.

It looks like Miley and Anderson will be unavailable unless the Brewers are too far behind the Cubs and too far ahead of everyone else to care about the Tigers series. And that's fine, as the Brewers will have Gio for LHP long relief and Peralta/Guerra/Burnes for RHP long relief. Miley and Anderson can start the first 2 games of the next series if the Brewers win. Chacin will be ready for game 3.

You know you have to get Hader and Jeffress in the game. Keep in mind that Hader has pitched 3 innings once all year, and has thrown more than 40 pitches once. JJ has pitched 2 innings 5 times, but never more than that. He has thrown more than 30 pitches 5 times, and never hit 40. You can't just pencil them in for 4-5 combined innings. It depends on match-ups and the situation. Giving them more work than they're used to would be needlessly risky. What if the Brewers sent 6-7 batters to the plate in one of those innings? They're not so great that you have to let them hit to milk an extra inning out of them. It all depends on how it goes.

I'd say the most likely scenario is ~4 innings for Chacin. He won't go more than twice through the order and won't bat twice. It's possible they would pull him before his first plate appearance if it's a scoring opportunity in the bottom of the 2nd or if he's struggling at all. Guerra, Peralta, Woodruff, Burnes, and Gio are on standby for that scenario. Hader and Jeffress combine for about 3 innings, based on when they're needed most. Cedeno will face an LHB. Soria and Knebel will each get about an inning when the match-ups favor them.

The Brewers could move Miley up to 9/28, skipping Davies, to have Miley available in relief for a wild card game as well. But I kinda like the idea of giving Davies the opportunity, and it's not like Miley has been much better than Gio lately anyway.

People are listing a lot of pitchers as relief options, but it’s not a September roster. They need to set a 25 man, and likely 2 starters at most are on it. If Gio isn’t starting he’s not going to be there. I’d be surprised if Woodruff is there, unless only 1 starter is and he’s the long man. That 25 man will be interesting.

Archived