Brewer Fanatic

Who would you start in the WC game?

bork
Safe-Chacin (on a short leash as anyone would be.)

Outside the Box- Hader. Hope you can get 4 clean innings, then depending on the score you react accordingly. With a 4-0 lead you could go to Chacin. If it's 1-1 or something almost treat it like an extra innings game, go to Jeffress for an inning or two, then Soria, etc.

High Risk/Reward- Peralta. If he's dealing, gives you the best chance of 6 scoreless. If not, could be behind 3-0 in the 1st in a hurry. Sometimes you need to take risks though. They would never do it, just throwing it out there as an option.

On the outside the box line, I think piggybacking Hader and Burnes could make sense. 2 very different looks. I doubt they'd let Hader go 4 unless he was a 1 man wrecking crew. If we get a 4 run lead, fine go Chacin. If we get more than a 4 run lead, roll a different SP and plan on Chacin game 1.

I'm mostly nitpicking this scenario because the Chacin one is the likely/boring one and the Peralta one seems like an unnecessary risk. I like this one the best so I'm mostly just adding my thoughts to it. I think the right bullpen manager could look like a genius going this route, but I do have concerns that CC will blow it if he goes this route. Have to idiot proof the bullpen management for this guy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. Well either way, if they are set on the idea that we have to have an actual starter start the game (I suggested a bullpen game a while back), then I would say...it depends.

Rockies or Dodgers - Miley

Cards - Chacin. And just hope you can get Carpenter out first.

Just a question in case anyone knows...

What do guys like Peralta do with all the days off? Do they pitch simulated games to keep some sort of stamina/strength? If they got to game 161 with nothing riding on the game, it would be cool to let him throw. That goes for Woodruff or any of the other guys that really aren't being relied upon.

Chacin or Miley and hope they go 3 innings. Very fast hook though.

I would add Gonzalez. The way hes pitching, any of those three are so close. Fast hook sure, but would love to get 5 innings. The more relievers you throw out there, greater chance one of them blows up.

Chacin will got 7. Just so this thread gets bumped with someone’s I told you post. Or something like that anyways...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm sure this has been advocated already, but in a one game playoff there is zero reason other than tradition not to do something like 3.0 IP Burnes, 3.0 IP Hader, 3.0 IP Jeffress

We should have enough of a cushion that we could set them all up to be well rested.

I'm sure this has been advocated already, but in a one game playoff there is zero reason other than tradition not to do something like 3.0 IP Burnes, 3.0 IP Hader, 2.0 IP Jeffress

We should have enough of a cushion that we could set them all up to be well rested.

Something tells me, though, that they aren't going to let Burnes' first MLB start be a high-pressure play-in Wild Card game.

I'm sure this has been advocated already, but in a one game playoff there is zero reason other than tradition not to do something like 3.0 IP Burnes, 3.0 IP Hader, 2.0 IP Jeffress

Something tells me, though, that they aren't going to let Burnes' first MLB start be a high-pressure play-in Wild Card game.

Then have Hader start, the idea is just to use the bullpen.

Same difference regarding first MLB start. I mean, I get the logic, but that just really, really doesn't seem like a Counsell type move.

I think it will be Chacin or Miley, but with a really short leash. Nothing those guy have done this year would make me not trust them in that situation.

I can't believe I am thinking, then typing this, but I'd start Miley in a one game play-off, winner moves on, loser goes home.

I think he has earned it, and I think he is mentally the guy to use in that situation.

Short leash, absolutely, goes without saying no matter who starts the game. One ounce of trouble and bring in the next guy.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

They are setting it up like it will be Chacin, but I would actually go with Miley as well. He's been throwing really well.

The bigger question for me is who will we face. Mikolas is scheduled to pitch on the 29th. I'm hoping the Cards still have something to play for at that point so they can't skip his start to let him start the playoff game.

Same difference regarding first MLB start. I mean, I get the logic, but that just really, really doesn't seem like a Counsell type move.

I think it will be Chacin or Miley, but with a really short leash. Nothing those guy have done this year would make me not trust them in that situation.

Is starting a game really that much more pressure-packed than coming in in a 2-2 game in the 7th with the bases loaded?

I'm fine with the really short leash, but I wouldn't think it's a huge deal for him to start. I know some people will say, "well, the routine" but just have Hader warm up in the bullpen right before the national anthem as if it's the 7th inning.

Is starting a game really that much more pressure-packed than coming in in a 2-2 game in the 7th with the bases loaded?

If you know you are starting you have that much time to build up the anxiety. Whereas, if you are in the pen, you do not even know if you are going to pitch that day for sure. At least he would be able to get to sleep.

What is the difference between any of the five guys starting right now? I actually think that is an advantage for the crew that they don't have to really "line things up" because each of the five is the same guy essentially. I mean maybe there is a handedness advantage going against one of the Cards or Rox. Would it really move the needle if Davies were starting over Miley? I really don't know but I don't think so. This is a fascinating question because I can oscillate between choices almost hourly.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived