Brewer Fanatic

Who would you start in the WC game?

bork
Hypothetical question, if we don't catch the Cubs and you have a 1 game playoff, lose and go home, who do you start? Nelson is the big wild card, but we probably can't count on him this year. There really isn't a clear cut choice for starter.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the fact that we need to ask this question does not bode well for the Brewers in making a deep postseason run this year.

Our dynamic bullpen might get us through a Wild Card game but getting through an entire playoff series with a Win like Peralta's start against the Dodgers last night will be an issue, IMO.

I think the fact that we need to ask this question does not bode well for the Brewers in making a deep postseason run this year.

Our dynamic bullpen might get us through a Wild Card game but getting through an entire playoff series with a Win like Peralta's start against the Dodgers last night will be an issue, IMO.

No matter who they get, their 1-3 will not be as good as the Dodgers, Cubs, or Brave 1-3. What Peralta's win last night proves is you can still win the game and a series. They've been doing it all year. Starters keep them in a game, pen closes it out. It's still all about the bats, that will determine how far they go.

Assuming that guys pitch the same way over the last ~60 games as they pitched over the first ~100, I'd start the game with Hader and have Peralta follow him. Lefties hitting .066/.159/.066/.225 off Hader so the opposing manager would likely be forced to load up with right handers. Peralta comes in whenever Hader meets the pitch limit. So far righties have hit .066/.182/.118/.300 off Peralta.

I'd bullpen game it. I'd probably pick out of a hat if we had to go with a starter (Chacin or Guerra, maybe) but they'd probably be capped at 3 innings unless they were absolutely dealing or we have a big lead. I'd also consider starting Hader or Jeffress.

To the people above that said "this won't work" - take a look at the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals. We got a pretty close look at that, unfortunately.

Going through the playoffs, the other team would probably have an advantage starting Kershaw or Nola or something like that...we'd basically get a DH to play against them.

Can we just start our bullpen?

That's what I'm thinking. I'm assuming there will be at least a day off between the last game of the regular season and the playoff game, and then at least a day off between the playoff game and the Divisional series, so why not start Peralta or Burnes and plan on them going only 3-4 innings? Then Hader and the other of Peralta/Burnes for two innings each, leveraging a PH when needed, and that gets you to the 7th/8th inning where Jeffress/Knebel/Soria can take over.

In reality it's one of Anderson/Chacin, but if they pitch the last two games of the season then I think you go committee for the playoff game.

Chances are if the Brewers get a wild card spot it will come down to the last day or two and they won’t be able to line up pitchers because they will need to use up their best ones just to get into the WC game. So, it could end up being whoever is next in the rotation (on a short leash) or a pure bullpen game.

Ideally they would clinch a spot with at least a day or two of the regular season left so they could cover some innings with September callups who won’t be on the playoff roster. .

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Chacin or Anderson would be just fine. Man people are dramatic.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Chances are if the Brewers get a wild card spot it will come down to the last day or two and they won’t be able to line up pitchers because they will need to use up their best ones just to get into the WC game. So, it could end up being whoever is next in the rotation (on a short leash) or a pure bullpen game.

Ideally they would clinch a spot with at least a day or two of the regular season left so they could cover some innings with September callups who won’t be on the playoff roster. .

Exactly, just worry about getting there. If there's a couple days to go in the season and you have nothing to play for (division, home field wild card game), then I would expect them to basically shut down the better part of the pen for a few days.

Example, they go into Detroit for the last 2 games of the season with the home wild card game clinched and the Cubs already won the division, then Hader, Knebel, Soria, and Jeffress are not pitching in the last 2 games under any circumstances.

But all the starters are pretty close together and I'd expect they'd go with whoever is up and plan on handing it over to a fresh pen early.

Ultimately it depends on whose available. If we can't catch the cubs for some reason, but cruise into a wild card slot that lets us set it up, I would do chachin. If we are fighting down to the wire and can't, I wouldn't be opposed to something like burnes starting followed by harder which with luck cover the first 6 innings. However, if we are fighting down to the wire their availability would be less likely.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This might deserve its own thread, but what would you do in game 162 if the Brewers wrapped up a Wild Card but needed a win to win the Division? How much might you compromise who is available for a Wild Card game to avoid a Wild Card game entirely?

It sure is nice to talk about these things instead of wondering which starter will get win 82 in game 162.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

This might deserve its own thread, but what would you do in game 162 if the Brewers wrapped up a Wild Card but needed a win to win the Division? How much might you compromise who is available for a Wild Card game to avoid a Wild Card game entirely?

No need for a separate thread, because this one is easy. You do everything you possibly can to win that game,

If the opponent has a lefty heavy lineup, I'd start Hader. Let him go 3-4 innings, then potentially you have Burnes, Jeffress, Soria, Knebel fill out the rest, with plenty of other options available if the game calls for it.

All games start tied, no reason to wait to fall behind to start using our best options out of the pen.

Archived