Brewer Fanatic

2019-09-18: Other MLB Games

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Please use this thread to discuss other games with playoff implications:

St. Louis @ Atlanta 6:35PM

Chicago @ Arizona 8:40PM

Colorado @ Los Angeles 9:10PM

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Both the Cardinals and Cubs won last night, as did the Dodgers. As it is looking more and more like the Brewers are going to get the top Wild Card spot, it looks like a race between the Rockies and the Cardinals to grab that #2 spot. While I'd love to end the Cardinals season, I think I like the matchup with the Rockies a little better in a one-game playoff.

I'm still holding out hope that the Brewers can catch the Cubs, but the math is getting tougher with each unfortunate Cub win. C'mon DBacks ... help a brother out!

I just want the Brewers to keep winning (obviously!) so that they can set up the bullpen for a WC game. I'm not concerned too much about who they might be playing, be it the Dodgers, Cards, or Rockies at this point. I'd like to avoid the Dodgers, probably, just to not see Kershaw in a one game elimination.

I've been on the "keep LAD out of the playoffs" train but at this point it seems moot. So might as well root for them over COL so that we get one of COL/STL instead of Kershaw. I guess I do think STL is the worst team so logically I'd prefer to play them. However, it's probably a toss up between the two with no significant odds differential in who we'd beat so I'd rather play COL becaue I have no beef with them and it wouldn't sting as bad if we lost to them. Plus I'd root for them in the next round instead of having to for sure deal with STL/CHI in the NLCS

On paper, the Dodger are the only team I feel is truly better than the Brewers. That would be a bad match up having to face one of Kershaw, Buehler, Maeda or Stripling in a one game playoff. There is no good choice there. Their offense is deep, powerful and versatile. Their bullpen might be a tad soft but they are getting healthier and it's strong enough given their starters and offense. That is the one team I'd hate to face in a one game playoff.

My hope is the Cards and Rox stay tight till the very end and let the best team come out withered and scarred from the fight and in less than ideal shape to play us.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Trevor Story might be done for the year. UCL damage in his right elbow.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've been on the "keep LAD out of the playoffs" train but at this point it seems moot. So might as well root for them over COL so that we get one of COL/STL instead of Kershaw. I guess I do think STL is the worst team so logically I'd prefer to play them. However, it's probably a toss up between the two with no significant odds differential in who we'd beat so I'd rather play COL becaue I have no beef with them and it wouldn't sting as bad if we lost to them. Plus I'd root for them in the next round instead of having to for sure deal with STL/CHI in the NLCS

It pleases me excessively to see someone use/spell this correctly!

Two straight nights of literally nothing going our way in these other games.

Only silver lining would be the Dodgers beating the Rockies again. Rockies gotta be feeling demoralized after the news about Story today. As a Brewer fan, I don't really want to back into the playoffs, but if it happens, it's better than missing it entirely.

Only silver lining would be the Dodgers beating the Rockies again. Rockies gotta be feeling demoralized after the news about Story today. As a Brewer fan, I don't really want to back into the playoffs, but if it happens, it's better than missing it entirely.

I don't think they'll be demoralized by a guy missing a few games.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I don't think they'll be demoralized by a guy missing a few games.

Didn't see the update on him. Rockies dodged a major bullet there.

It pleases me excessively to see someone use/spell this correctly!

The worst is seeing, "Player A 'compliments' Player B very well.

Or, "Hopefully we can clinch a playoff 'birth'. "

I noticed one a few weeks ago that surprised me. In a work email someone was "excepting" a job rather than "accepting". As an example of how hard this is to mess up, it tried to autocorrect me right now in this board.

Glad to see the Cards going down so far today. If they lose and we win tonight it will be very very difficult to lost that 1 WC. Also, I'm in fantasy championship and have some ATL hitters and the other guy had the STL starter, so that's a bonus.

I noticed one a few weeks ago that surprised me. In a work email someone was "excepting" a job rather than "accepting". As an example of how hard this is to mess up, it tried to autocorrect me right now in this board.

Glad to see the Cards going down so far today. If they lose and we win tonight it will be very very difficult to lost that 1 WC. Also, I'm in fantasy championship and have some ATL hitters and the other guy had the STL starter, so that's a bonus.

Wouldn't "excepting" a job be when you have too many job offers on the table so you start declining some of them? :)

Wouldn't "excepting" a job be when you have too many job offers on the table so you start declining some of them? :)

I suppose it could be. But in this context the person was accepting a job. As in, he was agreeing to do a job.

Archived