Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-17: Reds (DeSclafani) at Brewers (Miley) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-0 -- Christian Yelich Hits for the Cycle, Again!]

Eye Black
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
People talk about Baez's RBI total, as if that's a huge advantage for him, but he's at 103, and Yelich is now at 93, so it's not like there's even a huge gap between those two players in RBI.

And Baez hits third most of the time doesn't he? He probably should have more RBIs

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Woodruff screams of a guy who has a very bright future with the franchise.

I think Woodruff is a prime candidate to have a Jimmy Nelson type leap forward at some point down the road in his development. The biggest question is whether the Brewers will be in a position to be patient enough for it to payoff as a solid future starter.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Yeli not the most well spoken guy on the team... lol

He sounds like his age.

MVP!

I happen to like his "oh shucks" boyish charm.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to cut him down, he's a hard guy not to like!

MVP!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think Woodruff is a prime candidate to have a Jimmy Nelson type leap forward at some point down the road in his development. The biggest question is whether the Brewers will be in a position to be patient enough for it to payoff as a solid future starter.

Or if he will be part of a trade this off season for a TOR starter...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It took Jimmy a couple years to harness his command. Woodruff is a very similar type pitcher. t wouldn't surprise me to see him take a big leap forward next year. I've been harping for awhile that this team doesn't have an ace-type, but they are certainly flush with young pitching talent. Perhaps one of those guys can evolve into that ace.

People talk about Baez's RBI total, as if that's a huge advantage for him, but he's at 103, and Yelich is now at 93, so it's not like there's even a huge gap between those two players in RBI.

And Baez hits third most of the time doesn't he? He probably should have more RBIs

Per the RBI% tool at baseball musings Baez has had 413 runners on, 6th most. Scooter & Khris are 4th & 5th!

Javy has driven in 103 for a 17.43 RBI%.

Yelich was at 89 RBI with 351 runners on (46th most) for an RBI% of 16.81 before tonight.

If you set it from 2001 to present, minimum 2500 runners on Braun is 5th in RBI% at 17.88. The four ahead of him are Miguel Cabrera, Garrett Anderson, Magglio Ordoñez & Josh Hamilton with Manny Ramirez, Vlad Guerrero, Ryan Howard, David Ortiz & Aramis Ramirez rounding out the top ten.

Yelich is comfortably leading the NL in fWAR right now. That doesn't always translate into MVP votes, but given the increasing focus on advance stats and the fact that he is also leading a playoff team (and his value doesn't come from defensive metrics like Cain), <10% seems very pessimistic if things hold steady.

Anybody have Arcia's slash line since being recalled? Seems like it's pretty good

.274/.310/.368/.678

So decent avg, not much in walks or power though.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

The more I think about it, if the season ended today I would be angry if Yelich did not win MVP.

He's on pace for a 30 HR/20 SB, 100 R/100 RBI season, could very well end up winning the NL batting title, has a .380+ OBP, is carrying a playoff team, has had lots of clutch moments, is leading in advanced metrics, and if anything should be overrated compared to his 2018 advanced metrics because of his sterling defensive reputation.

How could you vote for anybody else? 10%?

Yelich is comfortably leading the NL in fWAR right now. That doesn't always translate into MVP votes, but given the increasing focus on advance stats and the fact that he is also leading a playoff team (and his value doesn't come from defensive metrics like Cain), <10% seems very pessimistic if things hold steady.

Depends on how you look at it. The fact he isn’t getting much consideration recently makes it pretty hard to turn the tides in 10 games. Though a flashy game like tonight can help. I just haven’t seen much if an true #1 consideration. Likely he gobbles up a ton of #2-#5 votes.

I think someone like Baez will garner the majority of the first place votes to win it.

NOT THAT I DONT WANT YELICH TO WIN IT! I just don’t see in a highly competitive MVP race a small market guy winning it. I think it is better to start hot and then be really good vs. be really good and then get hot. People have been talking about Baez and other for months. We are just starting to see Yelich love. Hard to fill the bandwagon at the end...easier to keep them on.

Depends on how you look at it. The fact he isn’t getting much consideration recently makes it pretty hard to turn the tides in 10 games. Though a flashy game like tonight can help. I just haven’t seen much if an true #1 consideration. Likely he gobbles up a ton of #2-#5 votes.

I think someone like Baez will garner the majority of the first place votes to win it.

NOT THAT I DONT WANT YELICH TO WIN IT! I just don’t see in a highly competitive MVP race a small market guy winning it. I think it is better to start hot and then be really good vs. be really good and then get hot. People have been talking about Baez and other for months. We are just starting to see Yelich love. Hard to fill the bandwagon at the end...easier to keep them on.

Baez winning with a .328 OBP and comparable-to-worse counting stats than Yelich would be as bad as the time what's his name won the Cy Young. Who is saying he is the frontrunner??

He sounds like his age.

MVP!

Hard to criticize him for this when the most famous player on the franchise is Yount who could barely get a legible sentence out at any point in his career.

Anybody have Arcia's slash line since being recalled? Seems like it's pretty good

.274/.310/.368/.678

That line is probably Arcia's upside and has been since before he was called up. He has never looked like a major league quality bat if it didn't come with great defense.

Watched the interview Yelich had in the clubhouse and no matter when it always sounds like there are tons of kids in there. Wonder how common that is.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He sounds like his age.

MVP!

Hard to criticize him for this when the most famous player on the franchise is Yount who could barely get a legible sentence out at any point in his career.

That is a very wrong and totally BS Post

.274/.310/.368/.678

That line is probably Arcia's upside and has been since before he was called up. He has never looked like a major league quality bat if it didn't come with great defense.

How can that be his upside if he already had a better season than that last year?

Archived