Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-17: Reds (DeSclafani) at Brewers (Miley) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-0 -- Christian Yelich Hits for the Cycle, Again!]

Eye Black
All of the discussions I've seen on places like mlb network include Yelich and Cain in any MVP discussion and have for months now. General consensus has still pointed at Baez but he hasn't been making a strong push like Yelich has. Cain likely has no chance at this point but Yelich is still in the running.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yelich winning a batting title would help his cause for mvp. I know people don't care much about average anymore but it still hardware to add to the case.

I agree, and that's why I think he has around 50% chance after tonight. He has old school numbers like BA and dingers plus the two cycles. Then he offers a smorgasbord for the advanced stats voters. Batting title really would be a feather in his cap.

Was just gonna say the same thing. Wow people take a breath. Braun has had a 900 OPS the second half, not sure if it has dipped below though as recently it seems hits aren't falling. And as noted his bad luck stuff has been there all year. He's basically been fine/adequate. Santana was bad, went to AAA and only did ok there. But he hits two HRs back to back to days and now he's got BRaun's spot for good. Don't get me wrong, Braun isn't what he was and will spend time on the DL, so we do need another OF. But if this year taught us anything depth is important. I hope Santana is back and does well next year, but there is a need and role for both. The odd man out in this situation will be Thames now that Jesus is a near every day guy.

Braun has been doing the every other month thing. He was pretty good in April and June and great in August. He was pretty terrible in May and July and has been bad here in September.

YEa it was about 2ish weeks ago when they were pumping that 900+ OPS so that checks out. and like i said you can tell hits aren't falling. Generally though he hasn't looked bad lately though, lots of hard hit balls. Unlike say the first 2-3 weeks this year when he was a trainwreck.

Of course he's not worth the money he's being paid anymore but as said it's sunk cost and he's still a functioning mlb player. I hope Santana rebounds and does so well that he does take the majority of ABs, that's a good thing for MKE. My point was the overreaction to a basically a 10 AB sample for Santana combined with pointing out that you want 4 good OFs due to the nature of Braun's injuries and just how now everyone pops on the DL for 10 days here and there. I think both Yelich and Cain did these year too. Also, you need a good 4th OF or bench player come the World Series to DH

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yelich winning a batting title would help his cause for mvp. I know people don't care much about average anymore but it still hardware to add to the case.

This is probably what he needs to do. When people pull out the stats, there's his name on top. That will grab the attention of people who haven't noticed him.

Baez plays a premium defensive position, which is good for him. But how much people pay attention to that is debatable. However, I think Baez has a flair that has drawn a lot of attention to him - and that (along with playing in a major market) will help. His lack of walks will hurt him.

I honestly don't see an issue with any of those guys being MVP if the race was held today. Yelich, Baez, Goldy - all really good players. Of course, I want our guy.

Again, if someone puts Baez's numbers against Yelich, the BA and OBP will really stand out in Yelich's favor. Of course, the RBIs for Baez will help him - so I don't know if it really matters.

Shrug. All good players. Hope our guy can keep hitting and lead us to the playoffs to make it a no brainer.

This is a save situation......proof again that the save stat is a joke.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Anyone know what Diaz or Harrison has done?? I know Brinson has been terrible.

Harrison hit .240 and 19 HRs at AA. Struck out 215 times, however. Still a ton of talent, but lots of swing and miss.

Diaz was pretty much the same as 2017. .230ish batting average, around 15 HR, but 140K. Again, he has talent, shows some power and patience - but big swing and miss tendencies. Was at AA.

Jordan Yamamoto did quite well when he wasn't injured. He had a sub 2.00 ERA in around 70 innings between A and AA. But again, he had some injury issues.

Interesting. Thanks!!

On the whole, you have to think it's a disappointment for Miami. Harrison and Diaz regressed a bit at AA - and the swing and miss tendencies of both is concerning.

Yamamoto is encouraging. Great numbers were great this year. A lot of his progress will be determined as to how well his stuff plays against more advanced bats. It's been fine so far - but that exposure has been limited.

Brinson has had a bad year - but his defense is a plus, and he's still very young. Some guys just take a little more time. Miami is a good spot for that to happen. They can afford him a long, long leash.

Pretty cool that they are leaving Woodruff out there for the save. Hope he can pitch a clean inning. Also nice that Hader could possibly come back on Wednesday if needed.

No reason Hader can't go tomorrow if the situation called for it to win a ballgame.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I found it crazy that the most cycles in a career is 3. Yelich is almost there in a season. There have only been three this season. Betts has the other. Hey how about both league MVPs having the cycles. Also the Marlin's have never had a cycle

I haven’t seen one person call Yelich the MVP...not a single one. In fact many lean toward Yelich not even being the best player on our team. I really doubt he can win the MVP. Baez gets all the talk among a few other players. Yelich is always on the fringes of MVP chatter.

I’d put his odds at less than 10%. Though maybe tonight gives him some more credit.

Here's One

Buster Olney:

NL MVP: Christian Yelich, Milwaukee Brewers. Milwaukee benefitting from one of the best trades in recent memory, as Yelich continues to grow as a hitter.

Archived