Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-17: Reds (DeSclafani) at Brewers (Miley) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-0 -- Christian Yelich Hits for the Cycle, Again!]

Eye Black
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a Braun fan, but what purpose does he serve for this current team and in the future.

Hate saying it, but man is he going to be a waste of roster space in the coming years.

That's pretty much what happens when you sign an MVP type to a long-term deal. Father Time is undefeated. I keep hoping/waited for one of his patented hot streaks. Who knows, maybe it'll be in the NLDS?

I'm a Braun fan, but what purpose does he serve for this current team and in the future.

Hate saying it, but man is he going to be a waste of roster space in the coming years.

I agree. I think we all knew it would come to this at the end of this deal but it does hurt. Problem only if he and Brewers don't face the reality that he is not who he was. Should not be an every day player at this point although his glove has been a revelation.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
To keep the narrative going, Braun hasn't been "bad" this year, his batted ball data says he's hitting the ball as hard as he ever has. This year is the epitome of "bad luck" for Brauny. That being said, I do agree that there just isn't a place for him on this team going forward. He's an outfielder only (he isn't a first baseman.... OR a 3rd baseman, sorry Clancy), he is going to miss 30 - 40 games, and he's probably still a slightly above average offensive weapon.

I agree. I think we all knew it would come to this at the end of this deal but it does hurt. Problem only if he and Brewers don't face the reality that he is not who he was. Should not be an every day player at this point although his glove has been a revelation.

Sad day when it’s a revelation for him to be an average at best fielder. Oh the fall was mighty.

Domingo Santana is a MLB bat. I’d like to see him get a chance again next year.

Same, but then we have the logjam again... Braun will be hurt, that is a given, so there is nothing wrong with a Braun, Santana, Cain, Yelich OF I suppose. I do think that Santana will need regular at bats though, not 3 starts per week.

I think we need to part ways with Thames once and for all. Just doesn't fit anywhere on this roster.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

You’d think we would learn to not overreact by now but here we are. Different players at different times (other than Cain and Yelich who have been great all year) have come through and had hot stretches. It doesn’t mean there isn’t room for them. They’ll just keep the musical chairs going and keep winning ball games.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You’d think we would learn to not overreact by now but here we are. Different players at different times (other than Cain and Yelich who have been great all year) have come through and had hot stretches. It doesn’t mean there isn’t room for them. They’ll just keep the musical chairs going and keep winning ball games.

Was just gonna say the same thing. Wow people take a breath. Braun has had a 900 OPS the second half, not sure if it has dipped below though as recently it seems hits aren't falling. And as noted his bad luck stuff has been there all year. He's basically been fine/adequate. Santana was bad, went to AAA and only did ok there. But he hits two HRs back to back to days and now he's got BRaun's spot for good. Don't get me wrong, Braun isn't what he was and will spend time on the DL, so we do need another OF. But if this year taught us anything depth is important. I hope Santana is back and does well next year, but there is a need and role for both. The odd man out in this situation will be Thames now that Jesus is a near every day guy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Arcia almost made another dumb mistake at 2B. The guy just can't think when it matters. Seeing the replay, he was totally dead meat, he got lucky.

That's an ok send, I think. If Hamilton fields that ball, dude has a noodle arm. I'd rather see a guy get thrown out trying to get into scoring position than trying to steal with two outs and the pitcher up. :)

Thing about Santana is he is up there swinging the bat as a pinch hitter. He was taking a ton of pitches before. Seems like he is just thinking this is it might as well hack.

I'm definitely good with Santana getting some starts again. The talent is definitely there.

Was just gonna say the same thing. Wow people take a breath. Braun has had a 900 OPS the second half, not sure if it has dipped below though as recently it seems hits aren't falling. And as noted his bad luck stuff has been there all year. He's basically been fine/adequate. Santana was bad, went to AAA and only did ok there. But he hits two HRs back to back to days and now he's got BRaun's spot for good. Don't get me wrong, Braun isn't what he was and will spend time on the DL, so we do need another OF. But if this year taught us anything depth is important. I hope Santana is back and does well next year, but there is a need and role for both. The odd man out in this situation will be Thames now that Jesus is a near every day guy.

Not sure how long ago that .900 second half OPS was for Braun because he was at .789 heading into this game.

I don't think that anyone is saying Braun sucks, just that his role is pretty easily replaceable at this point in his career by whoever and it's definitely not a great allocation of our resources for that much of our limited budget at this time in his career. But, it's a sunk cost, so we have to deal, and that's why he hasn't been the odd man out.

Archived