Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-17: Reds (DeSclafani) at Brewers (Miley) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-0 -- Christian Yelich Hits for the Cycle, Again!]

Eye Black

HEi69cP.jpg

HEi6mUb.jpg

[pre]Reds Lineup Brewers Lineup

1. RF S. Schebler L 1. RF C. Granderson L

2. SS Jose Peraza R 2. LF C. Yelich L

3. 1B Joey Votto L 3. CF Lorenzo Cain R

4. 3B E. Suarez R 4. 2B Travis Shaw L

5. 2B S. Gennett L 5. J. Aguilar R

6. LF P. Ervin R 6. 3B M. Moustakas L

7. C Curt Casali R 7. C Erik Kratz R

8. P A. DeSclafani R 8. SS O. Arcia R

9. CF B. Hamilton B 9. P Wade Miley R[/pre]

Link: Brewers Game Notes

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can the Crew beat the Reds and at least win the series. Scooter hopefully won't be the Brewer killer. Hughes is doing well there too. Beat these Reds!

If the Brewers want any shot at the division, we've pretty much reached "must-win" territory, especially with this Reds series and the Tigers to finish things off. The Cardinals and Pirates series worry me. A Brewers sweep against the Reds would all but cement a Wild Card spot, as the math starts to work against the Cardinals and Dodgers/Rockies to overtake them.

They have to do well against the Reds and Tigers and not depend on other teams falling away. The playoffs are within reach. It's up to them with timely hitting lacking in the last two games and needs to stop.

It's a huge deal that we are missing Castillo in the rotation. He's always been tough on us. It is somewhat helpful that Iglesias pitched yesterday. If they were in a tie game in the 9th, might shy away from using him again today. Also they definitely seem to have a short start lined up Tuesday when Lorenzen pitches. I know he could pitch maybe 5 innings max if he's rolling, but I doubt that happens. We almost certainly need 2 or 3 this series and to close the gap by 1 game. Pitching matchups are lined up as well as they can be to make that happen.

I'm expecting a lineup today of Granderson, Yelich, Cain, Aguilar, Moustakas, Schoop, Kratz, Arcia, P. Obviously Braun may play, but Granderson has good numbers career against descalfini while braun hasn't been great. It is also possible Shaw fills in at 2b for Schoop, but with Miley out there I think we stick with primo defense. I would be extremely surprised if Shaw played 3rd today.

It's a huge deal that we are missing Castillo in the rotation. He's always been tough on us. It is somewhat helpful that Iglesias pitched yesterday. If they were in a tie game in the 9th, might shy away from using him again today. Also they definitely seem to have a short start lined up Tuesday when Lorenzen pitches. I know he could pitch maybe 5 innings max if he's rolling, but I doubt that happens. We almost certainly need 2 or 3 this series and to close the gap by 1 game. Pitching matchups are lined up as well as they can be to make that happen.

Unfortunately he'll get 2-3 ABs though. I hope the bases aren't loaded

If we win each of the remaining series (go 8-4), that would be 93-69.

for the Cubs to finish at 92-70 they would need to go 5-8. The worst 13 game stretch the Cubs have had the entire season is 4-9 (June 12-25)

So basically, we probably need to sweep someone to catch them. This is our best shot. I feel like we almost need to bank on losing 2 of 3 to the pirates too, that team just has our number.

The only fault I can see is not batting Cain leadoff. This team has been at its best with Cain in the leadoff spot, yet they keep pulling him out of it. I don't get it. Just lead the man and his high OBP well enough alone.

Cain is a great fit everywhere 1-9 in the lineup. Granderson has had great AB's and success with us thusfar, I don't hate the idea of Cain coming up with guys on. He's arguably moving Cain to a more important spot in the lineup, where his production will be more useful.

Plus, going this route made it a more natural way to move Aguilar back in the lineup. I really think that's going to be a good thing. I think he's pressing, and dude just needs to relax up there...let his talent take over and not try to hit a HR every time.

The Brewers have a real opportunity here to get a sweep while the other teams in the NL chase beat up on each other. Colo has to go to LA, Cubs head to Ariz, and the Cards play in Atlanta. Brewers really need to take advantage.

Depending on how those other series go, a sweep could really put the Brewers in a commanding position for home field in the WC game, or make up some ground on the division race.

That’s enough if Kratz. Start playing the best players. That should matter. Is Pina suddenly bad at calling a game now ?

The stats say yes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

17-8 in the last 25 is the best in NL per BA & Rock.

How much credit does CC deserve for that stretch?

Should get quite a bit. He’s been a very good manager all year even if it doesn’t read that way around here.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

17-8 in the last 25 is the best in NL per BA & Rock.

How much credit does CC deserve for that stretch?

Should get quite a bit. He’s been a very good manager all year even if it doesn’t read that way around here.

+1

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived