Brewer Fanatic

Unofficial 2018 NFL season thread

PinaMadness
  • 1 month later...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jaguars are now 3-5. Was anyone buying that they were the second best team in the AFC last year?

Sure. There record said so. This lousy season for them (so far) doesn’t take that away.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Jaguars are now 3-5. Was anyone buying that they were the second best team in the AFC last year?

Yah, the defense was that good. They nearly beat the Patriots on the road in the championship game. They were good. They didn’t have a sustainable group of players though.

Jaguars are in a rough position that they really need a QB but they're too good to get a high draft pick. What's worse is there are no big QB prospects in the draft this year. Maybe there's a promising backup somewhere they can trade for to compete with Bortles.

Jaguars problem is not a talent void, it is an inability to handle a modicum of success. The defense is full of very arrogant players, but that works when you are winning games, like they were last year. They ruffled a lot of feathers, but you can do that when you're winning.

Guessing a few of those guys took it easy last offseason and expected to beat people up again. They were a legitimate team last year. They have no history of success and are a textbook hangover story.

Damarious Randall was a healthy scratch today.

I was glad they recouped some value for him, but part of me thought he’d find succes at safety and in a new system. That seems to be the way of former Packer DBs recently - but nope, this guy’s just a bust.

The Rams couldn’t do the Packers any favors today. Looks like that pick will be 25+. I had (somewhat optimistically) hoped it would be 15-20 due to the strength of the NFC South.

You can say this about just about any team, but they have a 39-year-old QB at the controls, and they are one injury to him away from being a .500 or below team. Bridgewater is junk, and Taysom Hill has a ton of talent, but you wouldn't be able to count on him as your starter just yet. With Brees, they are a Top 5 team. Without him, they are mediocre ... but they do have more talent than the Packers.

A first rounder is a first rounder. It can easily be Jordy Nelson (actually a 2nd I think) or Justin Harrell. I think people worry about the order a bit too much. That is a slot for an immediate contributor no matter who it is, if you hit on the pick, which is the real obstacle. AJ Hawk was our highest pick of the last god knows how many years and he was not all that great.

I feel like I'm probably the only person who thinks Le'Veon Bell and Dez Bryant aren't being greedy, stupid people with their holdouts. I think football players are becoming a lot more aware of what playing the game is doing to their body based on the number of players who are choosing to retiring after only a few seasons. Provided, they haven't been totally stupid with their money, they're both set for life and never have to work a day. Why put your body through an NFL season if you're not being paid what you want and if you don't have to? And in Bryant's case, why do it somewhere you might not want to be? I understand why fans feel the way they do about these guy's situations but I think it's something that's going to become more common in the coming years. Even in baseball there are guys who are at the end of their careers and they choose to sit out half a season because they would prefer to spend more time with their families and then sign with a contending team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
A first rounder is a first rounder. It can easily be Jordy Nelson (actually a 2nd I think) or Justin Harrell. I think people worry about the order a bit too much. That is a slot for an immediate contributor no matter who it is, if you hit on the pick, which is the real obstacle. AJ Hawk was our highest pick of the last god knows how many years and he was not all that great.

Tied with T-Buck in 1992 as the highest since Tony Mandarich in 1987. But both of those guys continue to support your point... :)

Can't get a pass rusher that far back (usually), but certainly can find quality immediate impact guys.

TJ Watt says "hi". ;)

Obviously the higher you are the better shot you have at drafting an impact player, but there are no guarantees. Personally, I'm leaning towards not moving up but drafting two 1st round picks instead. Needs at OL, TE, S, OLB, MLB, and DL make me feel like we aren't one guy away. Even CB could use more guys, especially if Jackson, Breeland, and/or Williams continue to play safety.

Sad ending to a great Packers career. Cobb should've been moved as well.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
That wasn’t a good look for Washington, but I believe Dan Snyder even said Foster wouldn’t play until his legal issues were resolved. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe there’s a tape in Foster’s case. That’s the smoking gun, in my opinion.

Archived