Brewer Fanatic

Squirrels in the attic?

TURBO

So about a week ago, we started hearing noises, scratching, chewing/gnawing on metal and or wood, and little pitter pattering feet running in the attic and possibly soffits.

It has now turned into a full fledged party every day around 4:00 - 5:30 pm, and anywhere from 2:00 am - 5:00 am.

It is amazing the amount of noise they are making. We have lost a lot of sleep, physically and mentally, as I find this stuff stressful.

We have wildlife control coming over tomorrow morning to do a full house inspection, and begin the removal process. It's $150 for the inspection alone, which they say will take 1.5 - 2 hours. All fees after that will be based on what they find.

My fear is that the little creeps will chew through wires, continue to make other entry sites, and just cause a lot of damage that of course, we will have to pay to have fixed.

I have looked high and low for entry points into the house and have found nothing. That is part of what the professionals will find, and plug.

I think they are red squirrels, as that is the kind of squirrel we typically have in our neighborhood. Little guys, and very fast.

Tonight I had to disassemble the entire shelving unit in my sons closet, as it is the only entryway into the attic. What a pain in the butt.

Anyone ever have experience with using a wildlife control company to remove rodents from the attic, walls, etc?

I will reply tomorrow evening after I know for sure what we are dealing with, but my money is on red squirrels.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Could be raccoons as well. They are clever things.

I've not personally dealt with animal control, but I have had friends who have had to. And it's best to do it now. Raccoons, for instance, can really rip up stuff. And the longer you wait, the more damage they can do. It sucks, but best get it taken care of.

We had an issue last fall with flying squirrels. They got into an attic space and we knew about it from the sound and the urine smell.

They're tiny, and found a very small gap for entry. They didn't do any real damage, but it took several visits to get 3 of them and seal their point of entry. I think the price was about the same for the initial service call.

It's squirrels...………….and mice.

Bait is being set for the mice, and traps for the squirrels as I am typing.

There is one major entry point, and a few others that might be active, all tiny, and all being sealed up.

No sleep last night, the mice are the ones making noise at night, and squirrels during the day. Here I thought we had squirrels that just plain never slept.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If you plan on releasing the squirrels just don't take them across state lines as that is against the law. Trust me on this one :)

Also, I think they can make it back to their nest if they are dropped inside something like a 20 mile radius so you have to go quite a ways.

If you aren't releasing them then enjoy your stew :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

We had a raccoon in the basement once. Somehow it entered from under the house on the outside (we think) and then fell through the ceiling panels in the basement. My dad and I heard a noise and went to investigate. We saw missing ceiling panels and a raccoon staring at us. It ended up hiding behind the entertainment center and somehow we got it out.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

A squirrel got into our basement once (the family home, when I was a young teenager), through an old oil tank - from when that house was oil heated. I don't remember how it got caught. Props to my mom, though, since by then she was the only grownup in the house and I don't know how she managed without freaking out.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If you plan on releasing the squirrels just don't take them across state lines as that is against the law. Trust me on this one :)

Also, I think they can make it back to their nest if they are dropped inside something like a 20 mile radius so you have to go quite a ways.

If you aren't releasing them then enjoy your stew :)

I hired a professional. He'll be taking care of all disposal and relocation.

He said we caught them early, and didn't find any permanent damage, or anything that needs repair. That was good news.

He set bait for the mice issue, which should be cleared up in 10 days to 2 weeks. They are the ones causing all the noise at night as they are nocturnal, and waking us every 20 minutes to half hour. It's been absolutely horrible. Squirrels are causing the day noise.

Squirrels have traps set, on the outside part of their entry/exit. They can still get in that entry, but once they leave, they are forced into a trap. That will be the end of that. Only one entry/exit was found for the squirrels, which was there because when our new roof was put on 5-7 years ago, there were some areas that were not properly sealed. He was surprised it took the squirrels this long to find it. lol I watch the traps from the ground, and when a squirrel shows up, I text him, and he comes and gets it.

Nothing gets sealed until all animals have been removed, then everything gets sealed to the max! This guy was great, and made me feel pretty confident that the issue will be 100% resolved in 2 weeks time. He found several other entry/exit points that the mice could use, and will seal them all up when the little bastards are all dead. They take the bait, then leave the house to get food and water, where they die....in theory. He said there is a chance that one could die in the attic, but I don't care, kill 'em all!

I had a choice to either have him release the squirrels far far away (I think he said it would have to be 10 miles away or more or they come back) or have them "taken care of" in another way. I told the guy to do what he wants, as long as I never see them again.

Also, the real kicker is that the shrubs that reach the roof line are the reason we have the issue with both species to begin with. Squirrels, mice, other critters climb them for access to soffits and roof. Looking around the neighborhood, there will be other people with issues, it's just a matter of time. He recommends that shrubbery is 10 feet below soffits to stop them from being able to get in. I have 4 pretty big trees/shrubs that will have to be butchered to avoid the same problem in the future.

After a few nights in a row of 4 hours of sleep because of the mice, I am looking forward to a solid 7 tonight as the wife and I will be moving to a lower floor until the mice are DEAD!

Cost to hire an actual company that specializes in removal, $600 total. I expected worse, and if there had been insulation, wire, etc damage, that could have been a lot worse.

We had a raccoon in the basement once. Somehow it entered from under the house on the outside (we think) and then fell through the ceiling panels in the basement. My dad and I heard a noise and went to investigate. We saw missing ceiling panels and a raccoon staring at us. It ended up hiding behind the entertainment center and somehow we got it out.

Sounds like a nightmare!

Haven't heard from the mice in a few days now. They were so noisy at night, but all night time noise has ceased. The bait he used for the mice is a sure thing, so I think that issue is done.

We have removed 4 squirrels so far, and there is at least one more who refuses to come out into the trap. Eventually, he'll starve and die. We have seen him stick his head out into the trap several times, but retreat back. He looks very nervous. Hunger should eventually draw him out depending how much food his Mom had stored up. Only one adult so far, she was the first one out a couple hours after the traps were installed. Just the young so far after her.

Our guy said there would b 3 - 6 young ones, 3 caught, and for sure one more, so he was right on target.

• 2 weeks later...

Total of 5 squirrels caught. The last one finally came out into the trap. was probably lonely and hungry.

All mice gone/dead, who cares, they no longer make noise and keep us up at night.

All trees and shrubs have been trimmed so that the little bastards can't climb onto the roof any longer.

All entry holes, no matter how small are closed up.

Process is complete.

If anyone finds themselves in a situation like mine in the Fox Valley, I would recommend using my guy without hesitation.

His business is called Nuisance Pro, main office is in Neenah.

Squirrels will also eat bait chuncks designed for rats/mice. Yeah it'll smell, but it's the smell of victory!

I had raccoons in the sub-floor of my house and I'm pretty sure it was those things that brought the fleas in.

A copperhead came (which I very nearly stepped on) this summer to help take care of the mouse problem, but I decided his services weren't needed.

Archived