7. C Erik Kratz R 7. C V Caratini B

8. SS O. Arcia R 8. P J Quintana L

9. P J. Chacin R 9. CF Ian Happ B[/pre]

Link: Brewers Game Notes

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of the two remaining, today is definitely the tougher matchup. If the Brewers think Braun can handle 1b, I like the idea of playing Broxton in RF today and Braun at 1B. I also think it's time to move Aguilar into the 5 or 6 spot. I doubt we do either of those things. I would anticipate roughly the same lineup as yesterday. Cain, Yelich, Aguilar, Braun, Schoop, Moose/Shaw, Kratz/Pina, Arcia, P. Probably go with Pina and Moose of those 2. Also outside chance Perez starts for Schoop at 2b.

I know he hasn't been lighting the world on fire and he looked pretty awful last night, but going into yesterday Aguilar had an 11 game on base streak and a .275/.333/.500/.833 hitting line with a couple homers in 40 atbats since August 28. People are acting like he's amidst a 2 for 50 stretch or something.

For comparison, Braun in the same time period hit .229/.357/.371/.729 with one homerun.

Definitely go with Moose given his history against Quintana. Aguilar is like burned toast right now so Braun at 1B is intriguing, but I think I'd go with Perez in RF over Broxton.

RF is kinda huge in Wrigley, the added speed could be very helpful...that's why I went Broxton. I'm not sure what metrics say, but Perez is not a good outfielder. He's ok. Better than Thames, maybe slightly better than Santana. Well behind Braun and Yelich...Cain and Broxton are obviously elite defenders out there. I can understand Perez for the added offense. He didn't look great against Quintana last time, a very silly strikeout and a bloop single. I can also understand saving Broxton and his speed for late game.

I know he hasn't been lighting the world on fire and he looked pretty awful last night, but going into yesterday Aguilar had an 11 game on base streak and a .275/.333/.500/.833 hitting line with a couple homers in 40 atbats since August 28. People are acting like he's amidst a 2 for 50 stretch or something.

For comparison, Braun in the same time period hit .229/.357/.371/.729 with one homerun.

The numbers may generally look OK, but on the eye test he does not look good at the plate right now. He's swinging at bad pitches(especially inside FB) and missing hittable pitches. The guy just looks tired. By no means do I want to replace him long term, but I think a couple days off in a row to recover a bit could be very helpful down the stretch. With the offday Thursday, I'd be very surprised if Aguilar plays Wednesday. I personally would lobby to give him Friday off as well, allowing 3 straight recovery days.

Thanks. Very surprising to me, I would've guess worse. Even if you just go back the four games previous to last night he was 5/15 with a walk. Eye test isn't always right, maybe he hasn't been driving or hitting hard though

The numbers may generally look OK, but on the eye test he does not look good at the plate right now. He's swinging at bad pitches(especially inside FB) and missing hittable pitches. The guy just looks tired. By no means do I want to replace him long term, but I think a couple days off in a row to recover a bit could be very helpful down the stretch. With the offday Thursday, I'd be very surprised if Aguilar plays Wednesday. I personally would lobby to give him Friday off as well, allowing 3 straight recovery days.

And he is halfway to the visitors dugout when he is at the plate... I haven't noticed this until recently, but anything on the outside corner and he has to physically lunge at it to reach it. I'm talking about strikes on the outside corner, not outside pitches.

Coles has to notice this, right?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He's always stood further from the plate than anyone else on the team that I can recall, but not sure if he's been standing further away lately.

It would be pretty tough to stand for their away from the plate than Braun. Well I'm pretty much stands with his heels outside of the back of the batter's box.

And he is halfway to the visitors dugout when he is at the plate... I haven't noticed this until recently, but anything on the outside corner and he has to physically lunge at it to reach it. I'm talking about strikes on the outside corner, not outside pitches.

Coles has to notice this, right?

You'd think so. I think he really likes the inside pitch, and pitchers start throwing 4 inches off the plate inside...so he moves back in the box hoping for the same pitch and the go outside. What he needs to do is not swing at the pitch inside of the plate. Not rocket science.

He's always stood further from the plate than anyone else on the team that I can recall, but not sure if he's been standing further away lately.

It would be pretty tough to stand for their away from the plate than Braun. Well I'm pretty much stands with his heels outside of the back of the batter's box.

Roco is right. Braun swings a bigger bat than most(35 inch I believe) and has always stood way off the plate. I'm not sure what Aguilar is thinking by shifting around in the box(clearly it isn't working)...Braun is different, he knows exactly what he's doing and is well aware of what he can and can't cover.

You'd think so. I think he really likes the inside pitch, and pitchers start throwing 4 inches off the plate inside...so he moves back in the box hoping for the same pitch and the go outside. What he needs to do is not swing at the pitch inside of the plate. Not rocket science.

You're right! When Jesus hits rockets, it's an art. :)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think that's the same as yesterday except Shaw for Moose.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think that's the same as yesterday except Shaw for Moose.

It is, I'm a bit surprised they went Shaw over Moose.

I posted their splits vs the two pitchers in yesterdays thread which had it make sense to have Shaw yesterday and Moose today. What I thought of for the reason they didn't is with Miley pitching you know you'd get tons of grounders to 3B and Moose is better on D. they weren't wrong, he had a lot to him and he made the plays other than bad hop double in the first.

Very good point. Eye test seems to indicate Braun has been killing it lately while Aguilar has been struggling but as your data indicates sometimes the eye test deceives us.

I've been all for getting him a day off and still am but against a LHP is not the day.

Archived