Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-10: Brewers (Miley) at Cubs (Lester) 7:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-2; Hader dominates over 2 IP, & JJ slams the door]

Eye Black
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Who had Eastern Mennonnite University as even having a baseball team, much less producing a major leaguer?

Edit - they have two! Larry Sheets is the other!

And who had Larry Sheets putting up a .921 OPS in 1987? And hitting .316 with 31 HRs and 94 RBI? And not getting one MVP vote for doing that?

To be fair, a .921 ops in 1987 is like a .650 ops in any other season. :laughing

I hope I'm wrong, but this feels too tenuous - the Brewers should actually be up by 3-4 right now. Hoping the fact the Cubs are already into their bullpen is a good sign for the Brewers scoring more, because I don't think 3 will be enough.

Well, you're not wrong about a 1-run lead against a good-hitting team being tenuous. Hopefully it at least stays tenuous.

Burnes comes in pumping 97. Coming up through system, I honestly did not know he could crank it up as much as he can. Out of pen he 95-98. Can’t wait until he is in rotation next season!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Burnes comes in pumping 97. Coming up through system, I honestly did not know he could crank it up as much as he can. Out of pen he 95-98. Can’t wait until he is in rotation next season!

I love the young power arms in Burnes, Woodruff and Houser. Zach Brown and Trey Supak are no slouches in the power arm department, either.

To be fair, a .921 ops in 1987 is like a .650 ops in any other season. :laughing

24 players got an AL MVP vote that year, including Kirby Puckett (3rd, .900 OPS), Tony Fernandez (8th, .805 OPS), Gary Gaetti (10th, .788 OPS), Jeff Reardon (11th), Darrell Evans (12th, .880 OPS), Doyle Alexander (13th), Wally Joyner (.894 OPS, 13th), Robin Yount (18th, .862 OPS), Kevin Seitzer (20th, .869 OPS), Ruben Sierra (20th, .771 OPS), Jose Canseco (23rd, .780 OPS), and Matt Nokes (24th, .880 OPS).

Quite a few guys with a lower OPS got votes that year.

Trivia - who had the highest OPS that year among vote-getters?

I love the young power arms in Burnes, Woodruff and Houser. Zach Brown and Trey Supak are no slouches in the power arm department, either.

Peralta says hello.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I thought peeking at the catcher violated the “spirit of the game”

yeah that's weak sauce

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Peralta says hello.

Not quite a power arm, but yes, arm of the future.

Peralta says hello.

When Freddy hits 97, he will get included in the power arm discussion. That's not who he is, though. And that isn't a bad thing. His arsenal is more based on movement and deception. I think I saw him consistently at 93-94, with a few 95s maybe mixed in. Not bad at all, but Burnes is hitting 97, and Houser and Woody get close to triple digits. It doesn't seem like it would be much of a difference, but it is.

24 players got an AL MVP vote that year, including Kirby Puckett (3rd, .900 OPS), Tony Fernandez (8th, .805 OPS), Gary Gaetti (10th, .788 OPS), Jeff Reardon (11th), Darrell Evans (12th, .880 OPS), Doyle Alexander (13th), Wally Joyner (.894 OPS, 13th), Robin Yount (18th, .862 OPS), Kevin Seitzer (20th, .869 OPS), Ruben Sierra (20th, .771 OPS), Jose Canseco (23rd, .780 OPS), and Matt Nokes (24th, .880 OPS).

Quite a few guys with a lower OPS got votes that year.

Trivia - who had the highest OPS that year among vote-getters?

My comment was mostly hyperbole...

I would suspect Sheets got ignored because he was on a 6th place team and appears to have been a really bad defender.

Peralta I’m guessing was left off because he’s not a power arm. 90-92 but with mechanics and life it just seems like 96-97

He releases the ball I believe closer to the plate than any other pitcher, and with the shorter distance it's the equivalent of throwing 96-97.

Archived