Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-04: Cubs (Montgomery) at Brewers (Miley) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 11-1]

Eye Black
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All of you arguing for electronic strike zone...

Are we talking about a full 3D zone? So often it seems to me that the point shown on TV or Gameday is where the ball hits the C mitt. Of it was in the zone at the front of the plate or just nipped the corner of a true 3D box, that is a strike.

If they could use a chip inside the balls that worked in conjunction with a computer that adjusted the zone for tall and short hitters, I could go along. Been saying that for 1st downs in football for years. Just don't like the way people judge an ump based on where the pitch ends up.

Every player gets “measured” during spring training and their strike zone is stored. If a player is not in ML spring training, they can be measured when they get called up. This also accounts for exaggerated crouches etc.

And if you watch on TV, the dot is where it crosses the plate, not where the catcher catches it. Oftentimes, the ball will almost hit the ground on a curve ball but will touch the bottom of the zone.

Interested to see whether Montgomery gets pulled for a pH this 1/2 inning. I think the Cubs just brought up Jaime Garcia, so he'd be a logical choice to continue the LH pitching through middle innings of this game. Probably too early for Maddon to start burning through his regular pile of relievers...

Community Moderator
The technology isn't holding back the electronic strike zone, the interesting thing will be the impact on the game. Nobody knows exactly how that will play out but it will certainly affect types/locations of pitches and the pitches that batters swing at. One has to imagine that the better hitters who have a good 'feel' for the strike zone might have an advantage. But pitchers also might hammer the edges of the strike zone (especially the top corners) which are often called balls or throw more breaking balls that brush the lower edge of the zone.

All of you arguing for electronic strike zone...

Are we talking about a full 3D zone? So often it seems to me that the point shown on TV or Gameday is where the ball hits the C mitt. Of it was in the zone at the front of the plate or just nipped the corner of a true 3D box, that is a strike.

If they could use a chip inside the balls that worked in conjunction with a computer that adjusted the zone for tall and short hitters, I could go along. Been saying that for 1st downs in football for years. Just don't like the way people judge an ump based on where the pitch ends up.

Every player gets “measured” during spring training and their strike zone is stored. If a player is not in ML spring training, they can be measured when they get called up. This also accounts for exaggerated crouches etc.

And if you watch on TV, the dot is where it crosses the plate, not where the catcher catches it. Oftentimes, the ball will almost hit the ground on a curve ball but will touch the bottom of the zone.

The strike zone is based on where the player is when they are prepared to swing. You can effect your strike zone by how you crouch etc...it is not consistent from pitch to pitch, by batter, and not directly based on your height.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Miley with 76 pitches through 5 innings. Does he have two more in him?

I'm thinking get him through 6 worry-free, and see where he's at. He's got to be at less than 90 pitches I think to see him go out for the 7th.

EDIT: Miley threw 105 pitches last time out, so they might limit him this time out.

Archived