Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-03: Cubs (Hamels) at Brewers (Davies) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3 -- Walk-Off Win on Yelich’s Bases Loaded Fielder’s Choice]

Eye Black
  • Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great win........didnt disagree with 1 decision CC made today. Bryant's Homer first ever given up to a leftie by Hader in his career.

2 days in a row we took advantage of wildness by other team to score big runs.

Davies looked like himself for first time all year.

Yeah I don't disagree with anything he did in the pen, Rizzo just beat Hader, it happens.

Or pretty much anything other than having Granderson bunt with 2 strikes which is statistically just a really awful decision even if Granderson was a terrible hitter and elite bunter. Fortunately it didn't come back to bite him so we aren't talking about it but if things went awry in the 9th it would be different.

Yeah the bunt was certainly questionable..... im sure he was worried about a dp.

Won the game without a hit.......got to love it!

Have to say though, Bryant really botched that. Obviously tough decision in the spur of the moment what to do.

It's a hard play to make when you're going to your right and have to throw cross-body to home. Would've had to stop, plant, and throw home and he knows full well that Broxton's at 3B with a lead. I think that if he goes home it's far from a sure thing, maybe 50/50 at best.

But getting up, running to 3rd and having to turn around and throw the other direction vs a fast runner is almost impossible. Pop up and go home you should still be alive another batter

Will have to agree to disagree - he has to weigh that Broxton has a lead (and is arguably faster) but Yelich is running the entire 90 feet. Also, watching the replay, Bryant's back was actually to home plate after he fielded it - turning his body to home would have been difficult and his momentum was going away from the plate versus using the bag to plant and anchor to throw to first.

I think it's the same success probability either way. Maybe quicker to home, but much greater chance of an errant throw due to how he would have had to turn his body to square up to the target and not throw cross-body.

I also called the VA and let them know there's a lot of cars parked there illegally with IL plates.

LMAO

I was 19 years old and it was 17 years ago, when I learned that lesson the hard way. Albeit, was visiting from Florida and didn't know any better. I want to say the parking fine was $100.

Unbelievable ending. I don't think I have ever seen a walkoff fielder's choice.

IIRC 2002-ish, late in September the Brewers are playing spoiler in Houston. Jeff Cirillo playing first base fields a sharp grounder next to the base, steps on it and throws home late. Cubs benefit.

Anybody verify if I'm spot on?

Gotta love winning the series game where your starter hasn't been in the bigs for months while facing the 2nd half Cy young winner with a horseshoe up his rear end.

The position player depth the brewers have after roster expansion was the difference today...hoping for a big offensive game tomorrow to get further into the cubs' pen. Lack of an off day might be starting to show a bit with them...

Fellas, fellas, fellas - if we'd known that all we needed to unite the IGTs was a mutual loathing of the Cubs and laughing at Maddon, we should have started sooner!

And it doesn't matter if Bryant went home with the throw, Jesus was gonna jack the next one into Tundra Territory anyway!

I just now read through the entire in game thread. I can understand being annoyed with certain decisions or certain things that happen, like the Cain bobble or Hader giving up the HR, but the sky isn't falling every time it happens. It truly gets annoying.

All that said, awesome win. I generally liked CC's decision making, no decision he made was glaringly terrible. I understand going 3 with hader considering Soria wasn't available. I also could have understand being more careful with Rizzo and pitching to Bryant, who hasn't been very good since his return. I also thought it was weird that he had Granderson bunt with 2 strikes. I suspect CC and Granderson talked and Granderson told him he felt confident he could get the bunt down. It was all made tougher in that CC knows very little about what Granderson is good or bad at. That last thing I thought was weird was not having Broxton run for Granderson in the 8th after he walked, but that one clearly worked out. I love that we fought back, well played on both sides until Bryant screwed it up in the 9th trying to be the hero

On a side note, I think the entire Cubs board needs the worlds largest delivery of tissues...

Let me guess, they think that high ball 4 to Braun was a strike.

Regardless, BB to load the bases, BB to tie the game in the 8th, then BB, HBP, HBP, FC FTL in the 9th is a baaad way to lose. If that is their bullpen plan for the stretch run, this is going to be a fun September.

On a side note, I think the entire Cubs board needs the worlds largest delivery of tissues...

Let me guess, they think that high ball 4 to Braun was a strike.

Regardless, BB to load the bases, BB to tie the game in the 8th, then BB, HBP, HBP, FC FTL in the 9th is a baaad way to lose. If that is their bullpen plan for the stretch run, this is going to be a fun September.

Cubs beat writer using data to make his whiny followers look dumb.

I thought Broxton would have been out by a lot and Bryant's first thought there has to be home since they were playing to cut off that runner. But it happens, maybe he lost track of where he was, I think he already knew he blew it when he got to third.

Huge win, hopefully they can carry some momentum into tomorrow. Too bad the Rockies came back but still a good day.

Congratulations, your new team has 20-25 thousand fans in a market more than 10x the size of milwaukee willing to help fund brewer season ticketholders' budgets by driving an hour north instead of south to watch a baseball game in a nicer park than your multi-billion dollar organization has.

Archived