Brewer Fanatic

2019 rotation

jjfanec
He had a great start and they went with it, but I wouldn't read too much into the fact that he got more opportunities than Woodruff or Burnes. Right place, right time.

I'm going to kindly disagree with you there. Peralta had jumped both of those guys in the team's pecking order well before that first start against Colorado. As nothing more than a regular fan who's lucky enough to get some occasional insight from a longtime baseball scout and exec, I'm downright giddy at the fun ride ahead. I had no idea how mildly regarded Peralta was to people here. Thinking ahead to how fans will be potentially be talking about him this time next year, and the path getting there, has me bursting with excitement.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They know we can't buy elite pitching

You can develop it though. And right now Peralta is the one who has shown the glimpses of it. You can have depth and still make sure a guy like that is in your rotation making those steps to stardom. I think you guys are all making great points and I think your viewpoints and expectations are very sound-minded. I really hope Freddy continues to step up and meet the challenge the team is going to put in front of him. It's going to be a blast watching people come to the realization of what the Brewers have here. And not just with him, the current core and a few overlooked, underappreciated youngsters in the minors as well.

Peralta has options, that's why most of us don't have him in the top 5.

Fully aware, and I understand the convenience of seeing who has options when trying to solve a perceived logjam. That's a fair point for sure. What I can't fathom is how it would be a good idea to stunt Peralta's development by sending him back to AAA where he has has nothing to prove. If he hadn't shown anything in the majors, then sure, give him more time to season in the minors. But he's been ace-level unhittable. He needs to work on location and control against major league hitters to cut down on free passes. Part of that is simply confidence. Confidence not gained pitching to free-swinging minor league batters who will do nothing to help Freddy make that final step. We'll know at the end of March or early April at the latest when a 5th starter is needed, but conversations I've had with someone who would know, tell me Peralta is here to stay barring injury or a disastrous spring training. Anderson and/or Davies don't even have to go anywhere for there to be a spot for Freddy. But those 2 sure aren't going to stand in the way of giving him the chance to be special.

Even if Peralta doesn't improve his command one iota, he's already an average major league pitcher who has shown elite level ability to miss the sweet spot of MLB bats. That's not something a major league team fails to explore fully. The only way to do that is in Milwaukee.

You don't need to convince me on Peralta. I'm sort of the unofficial president of the Peralta fan club around here. Had him listed as the #1 prospect for quite a while- higher than Burnes, Woodruff, Ortiz, etc.

That said, I disagree he can't benefit from pitching in AAA. Every pitcher can benefit from this, even veterans. He could work on his FB command, and more importantly work on his curve and change. Could he do that at the MLB level? Sure. But it doesn't hurt him to start in AAA for a month or two. Like it or not Chacin, Anderson, Davies, Nelson (if healthy), Miley ( if he's back) all DO stand in the way temporarily as they have no options remaining.

Hey, they may very well start him in the rotation from day one. I guess I'll leave it to the team to decide how best to handle him, as they have far more to go on than what we know about. But there's no rush.

They know we can't buy elite pitching

You can develop it though. And right now Peralta is the one who has shown the glimpses of it. You can have depth and still make sure a guy like that is in your rotation making those steps to stardom. I think you guys are all making great points and I think your viewpoints and expectations are very sound-minded. I really hope Freddy continues to step up and meet the challenge the team is going to put in front of him. It's going to be a blast watching people come to the realization of what the Brewers have here. And not just with him, the current core and a few overlooked, underappreciated youngsters in the minors as well.

Sure, that's the plan with him and Burnes. He's 21 though, you also don't have to rush him. Let him take the time to develop the 3rd pitch without the pressure of MLB games for a winning team could be critical to making him a legit top level pitcher. Might be better for his long term health to be in AAA on a pitch count for a month or two to work his arm a bit less. And also good for him and the team for him to be fresher later in the year.

As much as you're somewhat saying we're all underrating him, which of course could be true, there also seems like you could have a bit of overrating going on due to this personal connection you have to him. Regardless, good discussion and hopefully he just keeps on improving and is great for us for years. I really think with his odd delivery the key to him taking a big step (besides obvious BB reduction) is developing the change up. That pitch should be nasty with his delivery, think of how KRod made a career of that pitch due to his funky delivery.

He had a great start and they went with it, but I wouldn't read too much into the fact that he got more opportunities than Woodruff or Burnes. Right place, right time.

I'm going to kindly disagree with you there. Peralta had jumped both of those guys in the team's pecking order well before that first start against Colorado.

And Woodruff or Burnes could both jump ahead of him just as fast, and I would say you shouldn't read too much into that either.

You cite Peralta getting the call this year as evidence of what they think of him. By the same token, shouldn't everything that had to happen to the several of the team's vets before Peralta got the call be evidence of what they think of those vets? I think their moves this year made it very clear what they think of veterans with a decent track record of recent success, and even a few veterans without one (Guerra, Miley). They're not in a hurry to burn service time and live through the growing pains of young players while being a playoff contender, especially when they need to save roster spots for guys without options to preserve their depth.

Peralta will not be a great pitcher with the arsenal he has right now, something needs to change with him. He needs to have one of his secondary pitches develop or he needs to learn how to pitch effectively out of the stretch where he loses some of his length and deception. Both of those things can happen as easily in the minors as the majors.

• 3 weeks later...

Craig Counsell following tonight's big win against St. Louis and the plan going in...

Counsell also confirmed plan was for Jennings to take one Carpenter at-bat away from Peralta, then see how long the kid could pitch. Knew he'd have to face Carpenter at least once, and sure enough it was an RBI double. But CC loved what Peralta contributed.

I'll say it again. This organization has Peralta pegged higher than almost everyone here. I'm sticking to my opinion that he's one of the safest bets to be in the rotation next year.

There are few pitchers in the Brewers system that have the upside of Peralta. But his inconsistency hurts him. I agree he has a good shot at the rotation next year, but having remaining options hurts him. Depends on what the Brewers do in the offseason. If they have 5 other SP without options remaining, Freddy may get sent down just for depth reasons.

Stearns is going to make a big splash with a TOR for next season, I can feel it!

I'm admittedly higher on the young pitchers than most here, especially Peralta. I no longer see a need to package a ton of young assets for a TOR starter. I think Peralta, Burnes, and Woodruff are all ready. And in that order. Add Chacin, Nelson, Anderson, and Davies to those 3 young arms in addition to Zach Brown in the pipeline and that's an exciting rotation mix I don't want to part with. That's not even mentioning the potential to bring back Miley or Gio. And its leaving off Guerra and the notion of converting Hader back into a starter.

Of course, the argument can be made to package a couple of these guys for one elite guy. That's putting a lot of eggs in one basket. I think we have some top of rotation guys in Peralta and Burnes. And if Nelson comes back next year, look out.

And I want Hiura's bat in this lineup.

Archived