Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Season Thread: 6-9-1: Mike McCarthy Fired, Philbin Interim HC

pacopete4

Yea of course you'd have to work him out and make sure he's in shape, been practicing, etc but if he is then he'd likely have a better chance than Kiser. I understood giving Hundley a chance last year, he'd been in the system for years and always did well in preseason. But Kizer's only been here a bit, was bad last year and was bad in his quarter. IMO if Rodgers has a legit injury they should be privately working Kaepernick out to see what's up with him. He probably couldn't play for a couple weeks while he learned the system though, so if Rodger is only out a week or two then it's just not worth the media circus. But assuming he's in game shape and been practicing, he's clearly the best available option.

I don't follow the specifics, but at this point it also wouldn't really surprise me if he prefers not to play. First, it keeps his legal case going. Second, he can keep parlaying this into being a celebrity a bit and that can go for a long time. which keeps money coming in for him, but also keeps giving him a platform for the causes he cares about.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The lack of communication on Rodgers means nothing. They're not going to come out and say he's ok. No NFL team is going to do that. My total guess is that he sprained his MCL and if it were another player they would sit 2-4 weeks.

Agreed. They aren't going to divulge any more information than is absolutely necessary. No reason to give the Vikings any extra knowledge.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The lack of communication on Rodgers means nothing. They're not going to come out and say he's ok. No NFL team is going to do that. My total guess is that he sprained his MCL and if it were another player they would sit 2-4 weeks.

Agreed. They aren't going to divulge any more information than is absolutely necessary. No reason to give the Vikings any extra knowledge.

Yep. Sucks for us fans, but the Vikings also have to prepare for both QBs. If Kizer were forced to start, the gameplan would be a lot different.

I get that's what they're doing, but it just seems silly. If Rodgers plays at 60% or 90%, or even if Kizer starts how are the Vikings preparing any differently? They're still looking at stopping the run, still studying the Packers line to see how they can get to the QB, etc. I just think all that "how do you prepare" stuff is so overblown.

I get that's what they're doing, but it just seems silly. If Rodgers plays at 60% or 90%, or even if Kizer starts how are the Vikings preparing any differently? They're still looking at stopping the run, still studying the Packers line to see how they can get to the QB, etc. I just think all that "how do you prepare" stuff is so overblown.

It’s not overblown. Each QB is very different. Some are deep threats and some focus on shallow ball all game. There is a totally different book of plays the packers will call with Rodgers that they never would with Kizer. Some teams also have a lot more mobile back ups. Entirely different plan if the QB has legs.

Yes, I think not knowing who the qb is, makes the opposing team do that much more homework. They will have to discuss and plan out two potential game plans. I've always thought, even if you make the other team waste an hour or two on discussing or planning for something, that's a few hours less time they have to work on other things.

Kizer can't make the same throws that Rodgers can, therefor the Packers will have a completely different offensive game plan.

Don't sit him. Come in with a plan to run the ball and get the ball out of his hands for once. It will do Rodgers and the Packers good.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If he can't make his knee worse by playing then he should play unless it severely affects his performance.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Don't sit him. Come in with a plan to run the ball and get the ball out of his hands for once. It will do Rodgers and the Packers good.

Rodgers loves the slower-developing big play, but he has proven time and time again that he is at his best when they roll with the no-huddle quick-strike offense. It keeps the defense on its toes, makes substitutions difficult and tires them out quick. That's why you saw the Bears' pass rush rendered basically useless in the second half last Sunday, after dominating the first half. If Rodgers has one bad habit, it's using his mobility to run around in the pocket to try to create something out of nothing, rather than just throwing the ball away and living to see another day. It is both a blessing and a curse, as it has won games and caused both his collarbone injuries.

Rodgers loves the slower-developing big play, but he has proven time and time again that he is at his best when they roll with the no-huddle quick-strike offense. It keeps the defense on its toes, makes substitutions difficult and tires them out quick. That's why you saw the Bears' pass rush rendered basically useless in the second half last Sunday, after dominating the first half. If Rodgers has one bad habit, it's using his mobility to run around in the pocket to try to create something out of nothing, rather than just throwing the ball away and living to see another day. It is both a blessing and a curse, as it has won games and caused both his collarbone injuries.

And I think as he ages he will lose that mobility faster than his arm strength. Might be better off figuring out how to get rid of the ball quickly now rather than when he's 37, 38.

And I think as he ages he will lose that mobility faster than his arm strength. Might be better off figuring out how to get rid of the ball quickly now rather than when he's 37, 38.

It's not that he doesn't know how to get the ball out quickly, it's just that he'd rather hold it for a big play / scramble drill opportunity than take a short pickup.

Assuming Aaron plays this weekend, I would expect that we'll see a good deal more of the pistol formation, with the intent towards favoring the quick passing game. (Honestly, would be a good game plan against Minnesota and Chicago with a healthy #12. A pass rush that can't get to you, can't injure you.)

Have you seen his Interception rate? He throws the ball away numerous times in a game.

I've chimed in numerous games how McCarthy is terrible at playing quick ball pretty much until the final 2mins of the 1st half even though it clearly works far more than not. And a heckuva lot more than this 5-7step dropbacks early in the game.

I think a big part of it is the O-Line is below average(Bulaga is worse than Tauscher when he was past his time)

Defensive players wear out more and more vs O-Lineman as the game and plays on the field add up.

It'd be like a rating game where the Line was a 5 and finished at 4.5 vs defenses that are 7 or 8 that finish at 5, regressing to something the O-Line can handle.

And yet, McCarthy starts off with play calls that take time to develop and Rodgers is pressured and hit far more than he should be when you can call numerous 3 step quick throws that go for 3-7yards. And doesn't McCarthy script a number of the first plays the O runs? Should just run the 1st quarter with Rodgers calling the plays as if in a 2min drill.

I know WR wasn't a "need" for the Packers, but if this works out for the Pats, consider it another opportunity lost for the Brian Gutekunst era. Gordon has otherworldly talent, and if his head is on straight, would have made the Packers offense all that much more formidable. I know there is a big "if" there, but a 5th rounder isn't a huge price.

He will absolutely tear it up for New England.

It may work, or it may not. But this type of move is why the Pats are in the Super Bowl or contending for it almost every year. Disappointing that a team like the Packers hasn't figured out that in this league of parity, the teams that take chances are the teams that win.

I know WR wasn't a "need" for the Packers, but if this works out for the Pats, consider it another opportunity lost for the Brian Gutekunst era. Gordon has otherworldly talent, and if his head is on straight, would have made the Packers offense all that much more formidable. I know there is a big "if" there, but a 5th rounder isn't a huge price.

We prefer our undrafted free agents here in green bay. Priority to ones that can't get off the line of scrimmage due to press.

"The Patriots traded a fifth-round pick, but there’s a clause in the trade that if Gordon is not active for 10 games this year, the Patriots will get a pick back"

That's a no brainer

King's injury may have a big impact on this team. It also is getting annoying that he can't stay healthy. I know it's out of his control but it just sucks.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived