Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Season Thread: 6-9-1: Mike McCarthy Fired, Philbin Interim HC

pacopete4
It's not a matter of whether we think it "should" be a penalty. I'm not sure myself if that type of play should be a penalty or not. But that's not the point. According to the rules, and how they're calling it this year, that WAS a penalty.

I'll say again, please take the too early/too late out of it. That's also not the point. He led with his helmet, drove into Rodgers with it. That is a penalty. In fact, a just such a penalty was called against Atlanta later in the game.

It's just ironic that QBs are the primary reason all these rules exist, and Rodgers got hit illegally twice without any calls. Both in the open field where it was easy to see.

Hard to argue with any of that. Great points. A number of friends that are fans of the queens or bears blame Rodgers broken collarbone for the crackdown on roughing the passer calls and the mild rule changes...yet it seems we have been generally screwed over on the majority of these types of calls this year.

I personally am a bit more annoyed at what kind of (expletive) would cheap shot a sliding qb like that...regardless of whether it is technically legal or not. The ESPN segment "Jacked up" was pulled off the air for a reason, that isn't how football is played anymore. If I had my way, I'd try filtering thugs like that Falcons player(and the guy who celebrated his dirty hit) out of the game before I'd worry about incidents like the Kareem Hunt.

Wait....what??? I would worry about Kareem Hunt before anything that happens on the field. Players choose to get paid to play a violent sport. Women don't choose to get smashed in the face.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to argue with any of that. Great points. A number of friends that are fans of the queens or bears blame Rodgers broken collarbone for the crackdown on roughing the passer calls and the mild rule changes...yet it seems we have been generally screwed over on the majority of these types of calls this year.

I personally am a bit more annoyed at what kind of (expletive) would cheap shot a sliding qb like that...regardless of whether it is technically legal or not. The ESPN segment "Jacked up" was pulled off the air for a reason, that isn't how football is played anymore. If I had my way, I'd try filtering thugs like that Falcons player(and the guy who celebrated his dirty hit) out of the game before I'd worry about incidents like the Kareem Hunt.

Wait....what??? I would worry about Kareem Hunt before anything that happens on the field. Players choose to get paid to play a violent sport. Women don't choose to get smashed in the face.

You're confusing Hunt and Ray Rice I think. I see your point, I may have exaggerated a bit because your point is good. It's amazing how dismissive people tend to be of dirty hits in the NFL...as if a simple fine is acceptable for Barr intentionally injuring Rodgers...or Trevethan destroying a wrapped up Davante Adams, giving him a concussion. There are enough good athletes that we don't need guys like that in this game. A $10k fine is meaningless and isn't going to change their behavior.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I thought he was leading with his shoulder. He turns his head right at contact to avoid using the crown.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The fact he just launched into Rodgers without any intention of using his arms should be enough. Forget the timing and where his helmet was. In college football that would have been a pretty malicious targeting play. It was quite a bit worse than many penalties this year and even before this year.

If he came at him with the front of his body and looked like he was trying to make a tackle it would have been acceptable. That wasn't even an attempt to tackle him. It was just taking a free shot on a QB.

First off holy crud the NFC sucks. Second the Packers chances at the playoffs aren't as depressing and dismal as one thinks. If the Packers win out (which I don't think is that crazy) they wouldn't need a ton of help to get there. I think the key is next week. There are four teams in front of us. Vikings by two games and three teams .5 a game in front of us.

If we win out that means we just need those three teams to lose one game. Which I would say is likely to happen.

Redskins - They suck after losing Smith, they will lose at least one more game.

Eagles - On the road against the Rams and then a home date with the surging Texans.

Panthers - Have to play the Saints twice in three weeks, pretty easy to assume a loss.

The real question past us winning out is if the Vikings can lose two more games. The Vikings haven't looked great, but their toughest games Miami/Chicago are both at home (Detroit away). With that I think this week is key. If we win against Chicago and the Vikings lose to Miami I think one could start thinking about they playoffs again.

One additional scenario besides the Vikings losing 2 is the Seahawks losing all 3. Far less likely than the Vikings losing 2...especially considering their schedule(49ers, KC, Cards), but worth noting considering you laid out everything else.

I was thinking the same though, I think winning all 3 gives us a decent shot at playoffs. And this Bears game will be by far the toughest of the 3. Hopefully Miami keeps riding that high from beating the Patriots.

We'll know a lot more after this weekend. Packers obviously need to beat the Bears, and hopefully Vikes lose to the Dolphins. Very tough to see that happening, but if it does now we're down to Packers beating Jets/Lions and the Vikes losing 1/2. Seems much more doable at that point. (I'm assuming Redskins, Panthers, Eagles all lose a game. That seems like almost a given.)

On the Rodgers hit. Look its a well known, experienced qb running the football. Defenders ought to know a QB slide is forthcoming as they near him to avoid a hit ARod ended up taking. Yet the guy made a tackling move not for a QB slide but any other offensive player running with the football and launched aggressively as a tackle. Flag should have been thrown.

This situation imo is different on a QB runner like Cam Newton, watson, orthe likes who run more RB style and less sliding style. If it were Tom Brady you bet a flag is thrown and I'd gguess Brady gets up jarring at that guy in his face pushing and shoving. How about the QB lined up across the field? I think flag is thrown if that were Ryan being tackled that way.

The win probably shifts GB out of a top 10 pick potential. 2 more wins and wont even be top 16. Just that kind of year

I think it's bad enough that QB's get special consideration in the open field just because they are QB's. Throwing a flag because they are a drop back passer and not a "running" QB just adds an additional layer of confusion.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

First off holy crud the NFC sucks. Second the Packers chances at the playoffs aren't as depressing and dismal as one thinks. If the Packers win out (which I don't think is that crazy) they wouldn't need a ton of help to get there. I think the key is next week. There are four teams in front of us. Vikings by two games and three teams .5 a game in front of us.

If we win out that means we just need those three teams to lose one game. Which I would say is likely to happen.

Eagles - On the road against the Rams and then a home date with the surging Texans.

Panthers - Have to play the Saints twice in three weeks, pretty easy to assume a loss.

The real question past us winning out is if the Vikings can lose two more games. The Vikings haven't looked great, but their toughest games Miami/Chicago are both at home (Detroit away). With that I think this week is key. If we win against Chicago and the Vikings lose to Miami I think one could start thinking about they playoffs again.

I don't get people's confidence in the Packers winning out. It's actually amazing to me. This is a team that lost to ARI at home and very nearly SF at home. Have they won 2 games in a row all year? I don't think they have.

Even if they pull that off, I agree most of the other criteria is likely to happen, except for Minny losing two. Don't think that will happen.

I don't get people's confidence in the Packers winning out. It's actually amazing to me. This is a team that lost to ARI at home and very nearly SF at home. Have they won 2 games in a row all year? I don't think they have.

Even if they pull that off, I agree most of the other criteria is likely to happen, except for Minny losing two. Don't think that will happen.

I agree the chance is extremely remote. But don't underestimate how bad the Vikings actually are. That team has been a bigger disappointment than the Packers this year, considering they were once again the preseason darlings. I could easily see the Vikings falling to Miami and Chicago, and going into Detroit isn't a cakewalk either.

It's just nice that the games are still somewhat meaningful in what's turned out to be a pretty lost season. But if something funny happens, and the Packers go into Chicago and upset the Bears this weekend, while the Vikings lose to Miami, people are going to be excited.

I just hope they win and there is a Vikings loss so I can at least pretend to care about this season for another week.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Never said I was confident, but I don't think it is crazy to ponder. Two of the teams they play are worse than them (Jets/Lions). Look at that you only need one game to fall your way, this week, against the Bears.

I think it is pretty funny you were judging people for not thinking the Packers were that bad because they just barely lost a ton of games...but here you are now point to the SF that they barely won. Can't have it both ways man. Also they barely lost to arguably the Super Bowl favorite by 2 points on the road. A game they might have won had someone not taken a kick out of the end zone.

While the Bears may be notably better on paper I can't recall many times talent level ever mattered in this matchup. They always seem to have a deathmatch to the end.

Barely beating SF in a vacuum isn't evidence of a bad team. When you are sitting 5-7-1 and have lost a bunch of games that way, that isn't "having it both ways," that's the team you've been all year - one that can't close.

I don't buy the Bears though. I've thought all year they're a one and done. I think the NFC overall is putrid this season. The Packers winning this weekend wouldn't be a big shock, I'm just not sure this team is capable of rattling off 4 straight wins.

I like Dallas to come out of the NFC. They're one of the more battle-tested teams that's endured a real rollercoaster this year. Roster is loaded with talent, have the big midseason addition of Cooper and really seem to be firing at the right time. For once, they're not really the favorite or top seed heading into the playoffs. They're just giving me that under-the-radar vibe and I think they're good enough to beat anyone in the NFC.

Packers could easily beat the Bears. They did it week 1 and Rodgers was on one leg. At the end of the day, they still have Trubisky and we still have Aaron. If Aaron outplays Mitch I think GB wins.

Just to illustrate fan bias, the 3-10 49ers have 5 losses by a touchdown or less. There is no team losing 35-3 every week. Like I have said, the line between winning and losing teams is thin, it's winning close games. Without verifying, I'm sure their message board thinks they are right about to turn the corner and are a handful of plays from 8-5. If the Packers do beat the Bears I believe that will be their first "winning streak" of the season. I just can't assume Lions and Jets wins, not with this team, but if they do beat the Bears and the Dolphins win it moves from "stop dreaming" to "wouldn't that be funny" territory.

Barely beating SF in a vacuum isn't evidence of a bad team. When you are sitting 5-7-1 and have lost a bunch of games that way, that isn't "having it both ways," that's the team you've been all year - one that can't close.

I don't buy the Bears though. I've thought all year they're a one and done. I think the NFC overall is putrid this season. The Packers winning this weekend wouldn't be a big shock, I'm just not sure this team is capable of rattling off 4 straight wins.

I like Dallas to come out of the NFC. They're one of the more battle-tested teams that's endured a real rollercoaster this year. Roster is loaded with talent, have the big midseason addition of Cooper and really seem to be firing at the right time. For once, they're not really the favorite or top seed heading into the playoffs. They're just giving me that under-the-radar vibe and I think they're good enough to beat anyone in the NFC.

If you gave me $10 and said I'd get $20 if I was right I would say the Packers won't win their next three games. However, it would not shock me. Oddly I could see them going 2-1 with the one loss being the Lions.

I think the Cowboys are a real force. They definitely have the talent to beat anyone and have a lot of experience on the team. I like the Saints coming out of the NFC though. HOF QB running an elite offense. As boring as it is that is pretty hard to pick against. When it comes to the Rams I just don't see them showing up when it matters oddly enough. The one thing going for them though is they like won't have to play in the bitter cold at any point. Their defense is pitiful though...really bad.

Just to illustrate fan bias, the 3-10 49ers have 5 losses by a touchdown or less. There is no team losing 35-3 every week. Like I have said, the line between winning and losing teams is thin, it's winning close games. Without verifying, I'm sure their message board thinks they are right about to turn the corner and are a handful of plays from 8-5. If the Packers do beat the Bears I believe that will be their first "winning streak" of the season. I just can't assume Lions and Jets wins, not with this team, but if they do beat the Bears and the Dolphins win it moves from "stop dreaming" to "wouldn't that be funny" territory.

And they might be 8 -5 with Garrapolo and McKinnon.

Cutting lead weights loose can do that. My optimism has been increased for sure, but I am not delusional.

So rodgers has them right where he wants them?

Could’ve swore Kiser started this game. Sure has that feeling.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived