Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Season Thread: 6-9-1: Mike McCarthy Fired, Philbin Interim HC

pacopete4
I am very unhappy that the Packers fired him midseason. Not a classy move by a (usually) class act organization.

Would not be surprised if there are other things going on behind closed doors. The tension with Rodgers was perhaps a sign of a greater tension that we weren't privy to. Maybe McCarthy has been complaining behind closed doors about not getting the players he wanted or maybe he strongly opposed trading HHCD, maybe McCarthy put up an ultimatum and asked to be fired.

Whatever it is, I don't think that losing this year is the only reason behind it.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not expect it to happen mid-season, but it was going to happen regardless. Not they can use these remaining four games to gauge what level of teardown they need to go through, and if a retool through the draft and free agency can make this team competitive again. I don't think Philbin or Pettine is a legit candidate for the job in 2019.

I think you'll see a level of player movement this offseason that is pretty unprecedented in Packers history. Gute is going to want to truly put his stamp on this team now.

Still, it is a sad day. McCarthy is a good coach, and didn't deserve to go out like this. They need to clean house of some of these players that gave up on him, and do something to get their superstar QB's attitude right.

I am very unhappy that the Packers fired him midseason. Not a classy move by a (usually) class act organization.

Would not be surprised if there are other things going on behind closed doors. The tension with Rodgers was perhaps a sign of a greater tension that we weren't privy to. Maybe McCarthy has been complaining behind closed doors about not getting the players he wanted or maybe he strongly opposed trading HHCD, maybe McCarthy put up an ultimatum and asked to be fired.

Whatever it is, I don't think that losing this year is the only reason behind it.

I’m with you. I’m often critical of Mark Murphy, but he’s an honorable man. I don’t think he makes this move if there aren’t some bad things going on under the surface.

I'll go ahead and just say hire Joe Lombardi because cool.

The pressure man, wow. But yes, would be pretty cool.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think firing him with a month to go thus saving him four weeks of rumor mongering could be considered doing him a favor.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Regardless of the name, he has legit chops and credentials to be mentioned as a HC candidate. But yeah, holy pressure trying to win the trophy named after his gramps while working on the street named after him. Would be one heck of a cool story, though.

This guy nailed it (as did Homer):

"Sparing Mike McCarthy a month’s worth of rumors, plus the indignity of playing out the string, strikes me as a respectful outcome. It’s OK to do things differently from the way they have always been done."

I think firing him with a month to go thus saving him four weeks of rumor mongering could be considered doing him a favor.

Also gives him an extra month to list his house. The housing market is a little soft this time of year.

Also gives him an extra month to list his house. The housing market is a little soft this time of year.

Plus now he can really spend the holidays with family, which he probably has been able to do much of in a long time.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

He put himself on the hot seat last year when Brett Hundley proved to be not ready to step up. This year his focus on making plays down the field came at the expense of converting 3rd downs and keeping his depleted defense off the field. It took him way too long to recognize the problem. By the time he did, it was too late. This is stuff a veteran coach doesn't do. Don't kid yourself. McCarthy has an ego and it finally cost him. He got a little too comfortable. Being coach of the Green Bay Packers doesn't come with lifetime tenure. Ask Bart Starr.

Since you guys are talking about the timing.
Firing Mike McCarthy, as Packers did, is almost unprecedented. Former Colts HC Don McCafferty was only HC prior to McCarthy with a SB win to his credit to not finish a season he started. Colts fired McCafferty five games into 1972 season after winning Super Bowl with him in 1970.

Tony Dungy: " I just don't think you fire a Super Bowl head coach in the middle of the season. Maybe they need to get some new players."

I would like to add in addition to what I and others have already posted, that these things are not always great comparables in a historical context. Decades ago, there was not this constant media frenzy around something like this like Mike would have to go through now. If he stays through the end of the season, it's going to be a constant focus in every interview and presser and a constant distraction in the locker room. Meanwhile, he's still putting in 80 hour work weeks for a job that he knows he isn't long for, all the while delaying his future plans and keeping him away from his family around the holidays. Mike is a smart guy. I'm sure he was well aware after today that this was going to happen, whether it be now or at season's end.

Regardless of historical comparison I fail to see how doing all that and forcing him to play out the fiddle is the more respectful course of action than letting him simply move on with his life and career now and give the guy a break.

I live about a half mile away from the McCarthys in Ledgeview. It's the fastest growing area of Brown County (less than 15 minute commute to downtown GB for me, De Pere School district, etc). The housing market here is pretty strong. Having said that, over the past 2 or 3 years, McCarthy has purchased at least one additional home that was adjacent to his, tore it down, and spent considerable money building a berm to shield the road noise, etc. The buyers who can put up that kind of coin to purchase his house are scarce.

His wife is also from De Pere so its entirely possible that they keep that house, rent it out, and return to living there when he's retired. The amount of investment he's put into it seems like they were intending that to be a pretty long-term residence, even with the lack of job security an NFL coach carries.

Gruber Lawffices

I get that they make the big bucks and it's part of the territory and all that, but it is pretty gross to me that people can be so ecstatic about a guy getting fired in such a bold way. Just caught some radio on my way in and my FB feed, just settle down people. Have a little dignity.

I have to admit, a small part of me is already thinking about McCarthy coaching somewhere else putting up 45 on the Packers next year. A piece of me would enjoy some part of that.

I get that they make the big bucks and it's part of the territory and all that, but it is pretty gross to me that people can be so ecstatic about a guy getting fired in such a bold way. Just caught some radio on my way in and my FB feed, just settle down people. Have a little dignity.

I have to admit, a small part of me is already thinking about McCarthy coaching somewhere else putting up 45 on the Packers next year. A piece of me would enjoy some part of that.

Totally agree. McCarthy has been a good coach, and better yet, a good man to represent the team for 12 years. While I agree that letting him go was the right move, I am in no way taking any joy in it. Sometimes change just needs to happen.

While its obviously still very early in the process, here are some names I'm hearing through the limited contacts I have:

1. Pete Charmichael Jr. - OC - Saints

2. Joe Lombardi - QB Coach - Saints

3. Mike Kafka - QB Coach - Chiefs

4. Josh McDaniels - OC - Patriots

5. Pat Fitzgerald - Head Coach - Northwestern University

6. Zac Taylor - QB Coach - Rams

7. Lincoln Riley - Head Coach - Oklahoma

My main contact is very high on Mike Kafka, and considers him the early leader, if not a major darkhorse, for the job. Kafka is a former Northwestern QB, is extremely intelligent, and has gotten major accolades for his work with Patrick Mahomes. He is 31 years old, four years younger than his QB would be.

Calling the firing of someone midseason not classy is a little much for me. It's a multibillion dollar industry. If you don't think you have the right guy, you can fire him, regardless of what he's done in the past.

Not only that, we don't know what happened in the locker room after the game, Or especially what the conversation was like between MM and Murphy. For all we know, MM made it an easy decision by his reaction to the loss.

I mean, even in his presser after the game he just sounded defeated. He has the last couple weeks as well, but even moreso yesterday. So it wouldn't surprise me if Murphy talked to him and came away with the impression that MM was simply "done" emotionally. That, along with the fact we really haven't heard players strongly supporting him through all this. It was long past due, and I agree with you that's the way this business works. He will be fine, he'll coach again, and it's probably best for him in the long run.

I wanted this since the playoff loss to Seattle, but I'm not enjoying this either. Just necessary.

Regardless of the name, he has legit chops and credentials to be mentioned as a HC candidate. But yeah, holy pressure trying to win the trophy named after his gramps while working on the street named after him. Would be one heck of a cool story, though.

It wouldn't surprise me if we interviewed him...he has some legit experience and obviously is revered by Brees because he went right back there after the Lions cleaned house in the middle of the year a few years back.

This post is perfect. It fits all of what I felt last night and today.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
McCarthy and Hoiberg can hang out now.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This post is perfect. It fits all of what I felt last night and today.

If he couldn't hang 45 on anyone with Rodgers, why would he hang 45 on us with Baker Mayfield?

I don't think folks truly wish ill will on Mike McCarthy, in fact I would guess they all think he is a very nice man with a nice family and that he has represented the franchise admirably for the past decade +. (At least I am that way). It is merely pent up frustration by fans with rightfully high standards that they have seen the train wreck coming for several years now and voiced quite publicly to no avail. If it weren't for Caleb Hanie we wouldn't even have the 2011 Super Bowl. The signs have been there for many years.

You can blame Ted Thompson/Management for passing on elite level talents falling right into our lap than McCarthy. (Khalil Mack, Randy Moss at least once, should have went after Jimmy Graham in 2014/2015 instead of this over the hill 2018 version, etc etc etc).There was ALWAYS the solid leads of us taking a look, but then as ALWAYS, Ted Thompson and friends were irritated that they couldn't go to the dime store and purchase a HOF talent for about $2.99 and pass. I always wonder what got into them the day they went totally out of character and signed Julius Peppers. At least we have all of those Pac-10 DL/LB and all those busted OL to show for not giving Rodgers weapons for years and conserving draft picks right?

Archived