Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Season Thread: 6-9-1: Mike McCarthy Fired, Philbin Interim HC

pacopete4
  • Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chicken poop front office. Bunch of cowards that will never take the blame they fully deserve.

But you didn't like when Stearns admitted he made a mistake with Schoop. Which way do you want it?

Edit: To be clear my intention isn't to be disrespectful, you're allowed your opinion, I just found the contrast curious.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Murphy made the decision. I hope he puts the power for football decisions back in the GM's control.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I defended him longer than I should have. I like the way he carried himself as a professional, the way he commanded things and his organization of the minutia. I think he was too slow to adjust to the deficiencies of his assistants. Why Rodgers is not calling his own plays at this stage of his career is mind-boggling.

Rodgers calls plenty of his own plays. His arrogance shares a part of the blame in their recent struggles.

This move had to happen, but I'm still sad about. From a nostalgic point of view if nothing else. It stinks for someone to reach the mountain and get fired midyear from that franchise. I feel for the guy, and I hope he succeeds elsewhere.

I think he’s a good coach, but his time here had run it’s course. Won’t be surprised if he finds success elsewhere, it was just time for a fresh face imo. Hope the new coach is a younger, more innovative offensive mind. I like Pettine, and think the defense will improve going forward.

A lot of people wil lspin this to be a “Rodgers” decision or blame him for the firing and I don’t think that’s really accurate. Packers have failed for the most part since their Super Bowl (considering what they have). The offense has been suspect often which is McCarthys ship. I’m not saying all that is McCarthys fault, but the last two years have been bad. They have lost in a lot of bad ways this year. McCarthys team isn’t getting it done, McCarthy doesn’t seem to offer anything special, and changes had to be made.

The feud with Rodgers certainly didn’t help, but that wasn’t going to get him fired midseason.

Chicken poop front office. Bunch of cowards that will never take the blame they fully deserve.

But you didn't like when Stearns admitted he made a mistake with Schoop. Which way do you want it?

Edit: To be clear my intention isn't to be disrespectful, you're allowed your opinion, I just found the contrast curious.

Calling out one single player is petty as a GM of a ball team. It was unnecessary as I’ve stated in the other thread. The front office has never admitted their mistakes, especially with Thompson. Instead they’re pushing him to the GB HOF as the team he put together absolutely stinks. Been three SB winning coaches in Packers history and only one of them gets treated like trash.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Packers’ recent decline was more due to 3 consecutive bad drafts than any other factor (including coaching). By virtue of being a Super Bowl winning coach, I thought McCarthy had earned the right to finish out the season. I’m guessing that was Murphy’s plan, but the bad loss coupled with the mood in the locker room probably forced his hand. I’m ready for a change, but I’ll be forever grateful for McCarthy’s tenure. Thanks for XLV, Coach. Good luck at your next stop. Hope to see you back here for your Packer HOF induction.

So you can call out one person in the front office??? But just not one player?

No. But if you’re going to fire a HC midseason then why is Thompson still working in your player personnel and being tossed in the HOF as a rush job?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Calling out one single player is petty as a GM of a ball team. It was unnecessary as I’ve stated in the other thread. The front office has never admitted their mistakes, especially with Thompson. Instead they’re pushing him to the GB HOF as the team he put together absolutely stinks. Been three SB winning coaches in Packers history and only one of them gets treated like trash.

I'm not sure that last part is fair, I remember a lot of people weren't happy with the way Holmgren left Green Bay. I think McCarthy is worthy of reaspect and I don't see this as the FO treating him like trash but I agree with firing him. This is the life of a football coach, getting fired is a near certainty.

I defended him longer than I should have. I like the way he carried himself as a professional, the way he commanded things and his organization of the minutia. I think he was too slow to adjust to the deficiencies of his assistants.

I think this is all very fair and accurate. As I said last week, I have no doubt he'll end up in a place like Cleveland and will have success next year. But it is time for a change in Green Bay.

There will be lots of debate about whether he should have coached out the year, but I guess I have no strong opinion on that.

This move had to happen, but I'm still sad about. From a nostalgic point of view if nothing else. It stinks for someone to reach the mountain and get fired midyear from that franchise. I feel for the guy, and I hope he succeeds elsewhere.

I agree with this as well.

Been three SB winning coaches in Packers history and only one of them gets treated like trash.

Let’s not forget the other two left by choice.

McCarthy wanted to be here. He put down roots here. He was an everyman who just wanted to coach the Green Bay Packers. I think it was time to move on, but I respect the heck out of him. I’m a little sad tonight.

No. But if you’re going to fire a HC midseason then why is Thompson still working in your player personnel and being tossed in the HOF as a rush job?

Because he likely has early stage dimentia and they're doing it while he can appreciate it.

When the news came down I actually felt MM getting let go mid season was a good thing for him as well. He can step back and recharge a bit and I think he'll have a few suitors for his services very soon. I think Cleveland was one of the rumored teams interested in him.

I'm also sad about it too. I think it's weird if you're not at least a little. Guy had a big part in getting the title back home and it ends for him so unceremoniously. So, so many exciting games and teams under him. Can't imagine how he feels knowing he isn't the coach of the Green Bay Packers anymore after so many years.

Because he likely has early stage dimentia and they're doing it while he can appreciate it.

Bingo. He built a Super Bowl champion from scratch. Respect.

When the news came down I actually felt MM getting let go mid season was a good thing for him as well. He can step back and recharge a bit and I think he'll have a few suitors for his services very soon. I think Cleveland was one of the rumored teams interested in him.

Hopefully, that’s a blessing in disguise for the coach. Take a month off. Spend the holidays with his wife and daughters. Then turn the page in the new year.

Since you guys are talking about the timing.

Firing Mike McCarthy, as Packers did, is almost unprecedented. Former Colts HC Don McCafferty was only HC prior to McCarthy with a SB win to his credit to not finish a season he started. Colts fired McCafferty five games into 1972 season after winning Super Bowl with him in 1970.

Tony Dungy: " I just don't think you fire a Super Bowl head coach in the middle of the season. Maybe they need to get some new players."

Archived