Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Season Thread: 6-9-1: Mike McCarthy Fired, Philbin Interim HC

pacopete4

[sarcasm]Just as long as we use one of those Oakland firsts to draft hornibrook.[/sarcasm]

Would Oakland even consider it if offered though? I can't believe they would think they are a quarterback, even an elite one, away.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Rodgers trade is still fun to think about, even though we all know it would never happen. It's just the ideal of being able to trade a player at a good value instead of paying a 40-year-old $30M per season to be mediocre. Though I suppose a lot of the thought depends on if you think the Packers will get back to contending in the next couple years or not. But since mid-round draft picks and even free agency doesn't usually mean a 180, I have my doubts things will drastically change for the better. The team is just missing 3-4 star players as a whole.

Though I don't think it'd be the Raiders to make the trade. They're prepping for two years and their move to Vegas, so why spend now for a QB who would languish for two years? I see a team more like Jacksonville, who would give us young players in place of top picks; or the Redskins, who can't possibly think that Alex Smith is going to take them anywhere.

But with all that in mind, why don't the Lions trade Stafford? They've been a rebuilding team for forever yet with a very good QB. It seems mostly like hanging on to him and they're one of those barely-playoffs-never-great teams stuck in the middle.

I don't think the team is missing 3-4 stars. They have Rodgers, Adams and a RB that is getting over 6 yards a pop. That defense has a lot of talent, it's just green. Clark is a star, Martinez is right there, Alexander looks very, very good. There have been others looking like the real deal too.

They do need one impact edge rusher, and some veteran help in the secondary, but just that and some time I think this is a contending team.

Rodgers clearly isn't the dominating force that he used to be. He is still a very good quarterback but he misses throws now that he never used to. You can also see that he often times is not on the same page with the rookie wide receivers.

The Packers have about 6 good players on the team that should be kept. (Rodgers, Adams, Bahk, Jones, Alexander, Clark) I am sure there are arguments for Martinez, Linsley and Daniels but there aren't difference makers to me.The rest are interchangeable/could use an upgrade.

They have a lot of money tied up in overpaid players so it should be time to cut bait with them in the off season. They really need to nail this next draft to bring in more talent.

Rodgers is having a bad season, but I think it's a tad pre-emptive to say he's no longer what he was. This has happened before and Bob McGinn declared him no longer elite like 3-4 years ago only to see him go on a tear right after. Midseason 2014 there were whispers that Brady was coming undone.

His mechanics have been worse this season. There is a story out today actually dissecting his sloppy footwork this year. That is all stuff you can coach. His arm and legs look like the same old guy to me. Frustration is usually a driver when the basics start falling apart.

I also think keeping 6 players is just a bit extreme. Every roster is like 70% role players, it's not like they will go out and replace every guy and be better for it. Martinez etc. and the guys you mentioned aren't mega stars but they are components of successful teams.

They probably have the 6-8 bona fide really good players that you mentioned. A handful of players that are just guys will become really good players eventually.

I'll repeat that I don't think they're far off at all. This team is a LOT like the '08 version. They need a good draft again and a couple big adds, but I think they're a lot closer than the frustration of this season lets on.

[sarcasm]Just as long as we use one of those Oakland firsts to draft hornibrook.[/sarcasm]

Would Oakland even consider it if offered though? I can't believe they would think they are a quarterback, even an elite one, away.

Jon Gruden seems sort of insane at this time, so who knows.

One consolation price of the struggles is the fact A) Higher draft pick and B) Easier schedule

We won't have to play the Rams or Saints while, likely, the Bears play both. Instead we will play the Bucs or Cardinals for one of those games.

I wonder if his thinking was gain a bunch and it becomes 4 down territory? What was worse were the announcers complaining about the forward progress call.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I've just come to ask if we lose this game is McCarthy gone. I keep hearing on the radio that we are not that kind of franchise. If there is an in house candidate they want to try out I think he's gone, but if not then there's not much difference between now and black monday.
Remember what Yoda said:

1st possession 2nd half 2runs to end that drive by Jonea. Next 3 drives now He has 0 touches. Im not even sure he's been on the field 1play? Certainly not these last 2possessions.

Feels like the Cardinals are playing with 13on defense. Pass rush every pass play. Stuff the run. There's no WR open for Aaron yet?

What's the point of firing MM now if we're already basically out of the playoffs? Not like any new coach would suddenly change things for the better mid-season.

MM suddenly going for more 4th downs this game and last. Guess he's trying to prove something. But yikes, how do you not destroy Arizona at home in bad weather when you're against a bad rush defense?

On the bright side, we can get high draft picks and possibly draft a difference maker if we select in the top 10. Could always look to trade up from there to one of the top spots and draft a beast to help on defense.

I know the offense is the issue. I think a lot of that will be corrected with working with the young guys and giving them experience since they are rookies. The O-Line needs help and the defense needs a big difference maker. Too bad we didn’t get Mack. That type of talent covers up other issues on defense.

Hard to really pin what this offense needs. Sure the playcalling is annoying, but is that really a problem in the big picture? I recall changing that once to someone else and it found a way to get even worse.

Honestly I think the receivers are a huge problem. They don’t get open and can’t makes plays. The only one who does is Adams (two amazing grabs today). As I type this a perfect example. Rodgers gets half a decade to throw and mostly everyone is standing or running in circles. It’s pitiful...these guys fail to utilize one of Rodgers biggest strengths in scrambling. It is a main reason they found so much success with the likes of Adams, Nelson, and Jones all on one team. They made plays and got open.

Serious question, when was the last time the defense forced a turnover?

Looked it up, 1st play from scrimmage vs Seattle. Before that Id have to look.

Game before that was Miami and we had 2,

Remember what Yoda said:

Archived