Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Season Thread: 6-9-1: Mike McCarthy Fired, Philbin Interim HC

pacopete4
Kind of hoping we cut bait with Nick Perry after the season as he went on IR yesterday and was nom existent all season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s refreshing to see many posters say he’s a good coach because elsewhere on the internet, it is completely brutal seeing the stuff posted about the man.

In perspective, I probably haven't given him the benefit of the doubt as much as I should, but he's not necessarily a good coach for here anymore. As others have said, sometimes it just gets stale.

I'd also strongly agree with homer on MM's big weakness being thinking on his feet and making spur of the moment decisions. The Seahawks' game was one of the worst coached games I've ever seen for any coach. He constantly made head scratching decisions, and it really came to a head late in the 4th on the missed challenge and punt.

Sometimes, he really struggles to apply logic in the moment. The non-challenge, for instance. Ok, you don't know for sure, that's fair. So you need to consider the importance of the play. Is it a 4 yard completion? No, it's a 50 yard completion. Probably, definitely worth the challenge. And the timeout? Well you only lose it IF you lose, and considering you routinely burn timeouts to avoid 5 yard losses, I'd say it's worth rolling the dice on a 50 yard loss.

I get that thinking logically in the moment is harder than we make it sound sometimes when you're on the sidelines, but considering it is his professional career, I would expect him to be better at it than most.

I’m a long time MM apologist and I’m willing to cut him some slack for the past few years as the roster has eroded. However, that doesn’t excuse him for coming up short from 2011-2014. There should have been one more SB there. With all things considered, I think it’s just time to be new.

Kind of hoping we cut bait with Nick Perry after the season as he went on IR yesterday and was nom existent all season.

Probably not going to happen til at least after 2019 as he would carry a pretty massive cap hit.

I'll take the blame for incorrectly making this claim in another thread- as others noted, his deal was structured so that the team has an out after this season, as his cap number will decrease for 2019 if he's cut this spring.

I'm 99.9% sure he's played his last snap as a Packer. The only thing that keeps me from saying 100% is the possibility of a significant restructure, which is very unlikely.

According to SportTrac:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/nick-perry-9838/

If cut after 2018 the Packers will only save $3.6M in 2019 - his cap hit for 2019 is $14.7M and the dead cap space they will incur is $11.1M.

SportTrac says the out is in 2020. They also say there are implications for a pre/post 6/1 release - pre-6/1 they will incur $11.1M in dead cap in 2019, post-6/1 they will shift $7.4M of that to 2020 with $3.7M in dead cap for 2019. It appears the question is if they want the dead cap space in 2019 or 2020.

The question then becomes, can they get a better player for $3.6M? That I don't know.

Probably not going to happen til at least after 2019 as he would carry a pretty massive cap hit.

I'll take the blame for incorrectly making this claim in another thread- as others noted, his deal was structured so that the team has an out after this season, as his cap number will decrease for 2019 if he's cut this spring.

I'm 99.9% sure he's played his last snap as a Packer. The only thing that keeps me from saying 100% is the possibility of a significant restructure, which is very unlikely.

Do you have a reference for this? Everything I can find on Spotrac and Overthecap jives with what Louis is saying, and an $11M+ dead cap hit is no small matter.

Do you have a reference for this? Everything I can find on Spotrac and Overthecap jives with what Louis is saying, and an $11M+ dead cap hit is no small matter.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/37824/nick-perrys-contract-with-packers-not-as-monstrous-as-it-seems

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25367030/nick-perry-green-bay-packers-placed-injured-reserve

His cap number goes down either way, and with the June 1 deadline the cap savings is $11 million.

Basically, the choice is that they can play another year of the 'will he be healthy this year' game and have him count $14.7 million against the cap, cut him in March and count $11.1 against the cap, or cut him post June 1 and have him count $3.7 million against it. So, it's really up to the Packers to decide if he's worth trying for one more year and hoping for something better, or moving on and using whatever the savings is to gain additional space to improve the roster.

It's certainly a cleaner out after 2019, but with Gute's willingness to move on from 'mistakes,' I'll stick to my prediction that he's done this spring.

I guess I don’t understand why on 3 & 9 Rodgers has to go for a homerun shot when someone jumps offsides. In that situation you’d think you would just go for the first down. If the pass is incomplete you get a 3 & 4...not exactly a high success rate opportunity there.

Does Rodgers know how to run a QB sneak? Ridiculous that he can't go forward for 2 inches.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pettine is doing a nice job with what he has to work with.

No kidding. I see guys back there and am thinking "I literally have never heard of that dude"

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How Spriggs is on our roster still, amazes me. Ted Thompson should get his Packers HOF taken back for how terrible of a job he did late. What an absolute joke some of these players are.

Gosh, I don’t know how people watch these hits and still let their kids play football.

I'm very interested to see what the game looks like when I'm an old man. Numbers declining everywhere basically and more and more research being done that will get released eventually.

How Spriggs is on our roster still, amazes me. Ted Thompson should get his Packers HOF taken back for how terrible of a job he did late. What an absolute joke some of these players are.

With the pick the Packers traded to move up 8 spots to get Spriggs, the Bears took OG Cody Whitehair who has started every game of his 3-year NFL career. Nothing like doing your biggest rivals a solid.

Gosh, I don’t know how people watch these hits and still let their kids play football.

I'm very interested to see what the game looks like when I'm an old man. Numbers declining everywhere basically and more and more research being done that will get released eventually.

It will be a gladiator sport. The money is too good to pass up for people with fewer career options.

Archived