Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Season Thread: 6-9-1: Mike McCarthy Fired, Philbin Interim HC

pacopete4
Silver lining IMO this stinker seals McCarthy's fate. Not just a loss, but one very characteristic of all the reasons people have grown tired of him. An opening lead wasted away, a bunch of idiotic decisions and some horrible moves at the end that every arm chair coach could have predicted. He is done.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Packers punted their season when they trade HaHa. Whatever you think of him losing him has made the secondary pretty embarrassing just when it looked like it actually knew what it was doing.

Yeah I'm not seeing this. Ha-Ha wasn't good. He was pretty big disappointment and had become a malcontent. Somehow, the real problem on this team is the offense. It has talent and looks good but just has no rhythm to it at all. That last-ditch drive was very telling. Not even a pulse there. Pathetic.

Packers punted their season when they trade HaHa. Whatever you think of him losing him has made the secondary pretty embarrassing just when it looked like it actually knew what it was doing.

Yeah I'm not seeing this. Ha-Ha wasn't good. He was pretty big disappointment and had become a malcontent. Somehow, the real problem on this team is the offense. It has talent and looks good but just has no rhythm to it at all. That last-ditch drive was very telling. Not even a pulse there. Pathetic.

Yeah, Ha-Ha sucked. He was downright embarrassing. He played hard when he wanted to, which was roughly 15% of the time. Wasted 1st round pick.

Like I said...even if you thought HaHa was average the replacement plan is a garbage can low on batteries barely moving. If you think trading him made the secondary better...well sorry to hear that.

Obviously they didn’t care about their season when they decided to make a patchwork secondary for a marginal draft pick.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Punting on 4th and 2 was so dumb. McCarthy needs to go. Kinda glad they lost....tank the season and get rid of him and bring in a guy that can at least manage timeouts.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I’m almost to the point where I never want to see Rodgers win anything ever again. He’s just really rubbed me the wrong way over his career and especially now. Just as done with him as I am with anyone else on this team.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They were the same team with Ha-Ha dude. Nothing has changed. It's not like they were locking down QBs with Ha-Ha back there. They gave him up because they didn't like him and they got a 4th for a guy that was gone. It was actually sort of a remarkable move. They weren't going anywhere with or without him.

The problem is the offensive scheme. It has run dry.

You never want to see Rodgers win again? Yeesh.

This season is turning out remarkably similar to his first year as a starter. Just a total inability to close games. 7 losses that year by 4 points or less. Loads of young, but not quite ready talent. It feels like watching the same team.

Think the team is in good hands going forward, but this year was just not in the cards. Soft rebuild.

They were the same team with Ha-Ha dude. Nothing has changed. It's not like they were locking down QBs with Ha-Ha back there. They gave him up because they didn't like him and they got a 4th for a guy that was gone. It was actually sort of a remarkable move. They weren't going anywhere with or without him.

Hey thanks dude. Don’t think I ever said HaHa was some difference maker or having him would make a difference. Just that it was an obvious sign/move that they weren’t serious about the season. It made them worse.

Don’t write Rodgers off. When was the last time he got a shiny new toy on offense? They’ve spent their high-end draft capital on defense at a 2:1 clip since 2012. Be optimistic about 2019. New coach. 10 picks (2 firsts). $30 million in cap space. Otherwise, why tune in?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the D is about the same since they traded HaHa. Maybe even a little better.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That’s so stupid I’d fire him tonight and leave him in Seattle.

I've been fairly on the fence about the whole fire McCarthy, though I've been starting to lean towards at least it would get a new voice in the locker room, but this exact thought went through my head.

How can you think you are going to get the ball back there? The defense was carved up the last 2 drives and we only had 1 timeout. We will probably get some b.s. about showing trust or confidence in the defense, but how about trust in the offense with some backup trust in the defense holding them to 3 and getting the ball back.

This team is so frustrating right now, but at least there are signs of life for next year, if we can McCarthy.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Hey thanks dude. Don’t think I ever said HaHa was some difference maker or having him would make a difference. Just that it was an obvious sign/move that they weren’t serious about the season. It made them worse.

I don't think there's a shred of evidence to support that. He's a mediocre player with a blue chip pedigree that never lived up to it. He made no big impact and they were burned all the time with him on the field.

2nd half-4 rush attempts. 18yard gain (the first rush attempt) brought back. Best RB since Green, and you continue to avoid using him. McCarthy doesnt coach a team game, he only knows that Aaron Rodgers has saved his Ijob/butt that pass calling has to be only way to go.

Edit add, maybe that's why youre 0-5 on the road. Ground and pound keep the crowd noise down,run clock.

I don't think there's a shred of evidence to support that. He's a mediocre player with a blue chip pedigree that never lived up to it. He made no big impact and they were burned all the time with him on the field.

Trading him was a business move. They are going to be players in free agency, so they likely wouldn't have garnered a comp pick for him. Yes, things look optimistic for next year. Bring in a young, innovative coach, drop some of the high-priced dead weight (Matthews, Perry, Cobb), and hopefully you have a rejuvenated QB.

Don’t write Rodgers off. When was the last time he got a shiny new toy on offense? They’ve spent their high-end draft capital on defense at a 2:1 clip since 2012. Be optimistic about 2019. New coach. 10 picks (2 firsts). $30 million in cap space. Otherwise, why tune in?

But I thought signing Jimmy "over the hill" Graham about 4 years too late was a brilliant move and adding a toy? At least that's what I was told.

This team is annoying. Why bother watching this garbage when you can watch talent like Mahomes, Goff/Gurley, etc perform at a high level? Don't give me the "i'm not a true Packer fan if I feel this way" stuff either...i'm 30 years into my life and have watched more than my share of Packer games. This particular team is among the most obnoxious I have seen in some time. THEY BARELY BEAT THE 49ERS !

Thank God McCarthy is toast...I don't think a deep playoff run even saves him at this point. Nice man with i'm sure a nice family, but it's time to move on. I'll never forgive him and to a slightly lesser extent Ted Thompson for wasting a decade of Aaron Rodgers in the fashion they have.

Jones and mvs are pretty shiny and new. Bennett and Graham shave turned out to be turds but were sold as shiny and new. Adams turned out pretty well. I get your saying there hasn't been a Calvin Ridley type pick, but I'd say he gets his fair share of toys. I just think he prefers his worn in toys. And a first round stud would be fun, but there's no guarantee Rodgers would play nicely with him anyway.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

drop some of the high-priced dead weight (Matthews, Perry, Cobb), and hopefully you have a rejuvenated QB.

They’re stuck with Perry for one more year, I think. His deal had a potential out after 2019 when they’re able to cut him and save cap. Before then, I think they get hammered.

I have a lingering concern that the Packers rip off 5 in a row in December against that easy schedule and sneak into the playoffs at 9-6-1, saving Mac’s job.

I don't think the playoffs save his job. If they don't make at least the NFC Championship game, he's toast.

I agree, though. Seeing this team win out wouldn't surprise me at all. The talent is there. The coaching sucks, and there is no consistency. If Rodgers gets hot, the defense is playing well enough to beat teams.

Now the real question is would that actually be a good thing?

Don't think 9-6-1 and an early exit saves his job. Don't think this team is good enough to do it either. My guess is the opposite at 6-9-1. But I legitimately feel better about the direction of the team than I have for some time. I feel like they're finally blowing things up to a degree and cutting ties with underperformers. There's going to be a curve when you do that, but they're drafting well and doing the the right things. If they follow through on firing McCarthy I'll really be excited about the next few years.

Rodgers makes a rebuild much faster. I just feel like they finally burned the house down instead of calling the cheapest contractor over for a lazy repair, which is what the last 7 years mostly felt like.

drop some of the high-priced dead weight (Matthews, Perry, Cobb), and hopefully you have a rejuvenated QB.

They’re stuck with Perry for one more year, I think. His deal had a potential out after 2019 when they’re able to cut him and save cap. Before then, I think they get hammered.

This is the worst year of his deal. Number goes drastically down next season.

Archived