Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Season Thread: 6-9-1: Mike McCarthy Fired, Philbin Interim HC

pacopete4
  • Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ted Thompson immediately going into the Packer HOF is a great story. He built a Super Bowl champion from scratch and deserves this honor. I’m glad they had the good sense to recognize him right away while he’s still lucid and can appreciate it.

Is there all collaboration to TT's diminished mental facilities or just rumor and speculation?

It is 100% rumor and speculation. There has been nothing confirmed, and there likely never will be.

Correct but I'll eat my shorts if it isn't true. Every sign is out there that points to it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The passing game is still out of whack. Rodgers almost refuses to hit check-down passes until the very last second and usually by then it is covered. Plenty of guys on twitter tweet plays where Rodgers has people open, especially underneath, and he doesn't throw the ball to those receivers. I am amazed at a QB that is so good that almost refuses to do the easy.

We designed plays to get the ball into the hands of Jones in the first series or two and then it seemed to fall off script. Graham isn't a difference maker. They refuse to use Mercedes Lewis in the passing game. So much so that when they did throw it to him, the Dolphins didn't even cover him because they know it is like seeing Big Foot.

Just a little stunned at how hard the Packers (Rodgers & McCarthy) are making this game when it could be fairly simple for them.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If this team has a run in them it needs to start now. Currently sitting in WC3 behind MIN at 5-3-1 & CAR at 6-3.

If they can pull off 2-1 between @SEA on short rest this week, @MIN & @CHI, plus win all their home games, I think this team has a good shot at the postseason. Two more losses is probably curtains.

Gonna be tough, but as long as AR12 is back there we have a shot.

I doubt two loses is "curtains." There are a ton of common games on the schedule between contending teams. The Bears and Vikings haven't even played each other once yet. The Panthers and Saints play each other Weeks 15 and 17. Many other scenarios like that.

Some of those teams that appear locks right now will fall apart. I can't see the Packers sitting at home at 9-6-1. That would probably mean both Minnesota and Chicago finish better than that, which I don't envision.

These things are so hard to project, 8-7-1 cutting it wouldn't be a big shock either.

Either way the Packers are totally in the thick of it. If they play very well down the stretch they will get in.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The passing game is still out of whack. Rodgers almost refuses to hit check-down passes until the very last second and usually by then it is covered. Plenty of guys on twitter tweet plays where Rodgers has people open, especially underneath, and he doesn't throw the ball to those receivers. I am amazed at a QB that is so good that almost refuses to do the easy.

And that's exactly what he did against the Bears when he knew his feet couldn't save him.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And that's exactly what he did against the Bears when he knew his feet couldn't save him.

My opinion: Rodgers is playing like a frustrated QB who wants to see more innovation with the offense. Lately he has been prone to taking lower percentage shots than taking what is available. Part of me thinks that, deep down, Rodgers wants to see McCarthy coach the Browns next year.

The Packers have done this for so many years now. Sputtering offense until midway through November/start of December. There is no reason for it. I don't have a clue for the reason. I've just come to expect them to fart around and then start scoring 35 a game the 2nd half of the season. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that starts to happen. There is plenty of skill position talent on the offense.

With so many rookie WRs you knew there were going to be growing pains. They, particularly MVS, seem to be picking up the offense lately. Aaron Jones' suspension not only cost him the first two games of the season, it likely cost him some of McCarthy's trust and he had to earn it back. Rodgers got hurt, they had some cancers in the locker room... I'm not surprised at how the first half went.

We all need to remember, if not for a couple of bad calls they would have won at least one more game, possibly two. This is a team that essentially spotted the first place Bears 20 points and came back to win in 30 minutes. Rodgers is getting healthier, the young receivers are starting to learn the offense, they got rid of a couple of guys who weren't on board... they're ready to make a run, and it's not surprising.

That, and it's football - other teams have injuries piling up too.

With so many rookie WRs you knew there were going to be growing pains. They, particularly MVS, seem to be picking up the offense lately. Aaron Jones' suspension not only cost him the first two games of the season, it likely cost him some of McCarthy's trust and he had to earn it back. Rodgers got hurt, they had some cancers in the locker room... I'm not surprised at how the first half went.

We all need to remember, if not for a couple of bad calls they would have won at least one more game, possibly two. This is a team that essentially spotted the first place Bears 20 points and came back to win in 30 minutes. Rodgers is getting healthier, the young receivers are starting to learn the offense, they got rid of a couple of guys who weren't on board... they're ready to make a run, and it's not surprising.

The NFC is a crapshoot for playoff seeding after the Rams and Saints...and if not for a boneheaded fumble on a kickoff return Green Bay probably beats the Rams a few weeks ago on the road. The Vikings and Bears still have to play each other twice, and the Bears also still have the Pack and Rams coming up. Green Bay actually still controls its own destiny for the division, a win Thursday night would give them wildcard separation between them and a pile of 4-5 squads, plus vault them towards being that team nobody wants to see in the playoffs if #12 is upright.

They do need to get their secondary depth chart sorted out between all the position switches and nagging injuries. The are 4-4-1 but are probably 3 plays away from being 7-2 with a legit shot at a 1st round bye. This is the m.o. of a young team with inexperienced guys having to play in tight games...hopefully the growing pains early lead to a run late - I have no gauge on where this team is headed though, they could just as easily finish 7-8-1 as they could go on a roll and and wind up 11-4-1 and go on a deep postseason run. What happens is probably somewhere in the middle, which could easily be good enough for another playoff berth and frustrating playoff exit.

That all balances out. They are a ticky tack call away from at least OT with the 49ers and could have just as easily lost the Vikings game as won it. Same with Bears. Their identity is a team that competes and pulls it out ~ half the time. It matches their record.

There is no way 2 more losses dooms us. That would make us 9-6-1 or somethings? That could easily make it in this year. We currently hold the #7 seed and we actually still control our own destiny to be technical (though I will pass jumping into those deep numbers).

The NFC is pretty darn weak. Panthers are likely a safe bet, but the rest of the NFC fighting for WCs suck. The four teams behind us have sub .500 records right now.

I honestly wonder if Rodgers just doesn't believe in this team and is waiting for McCarthy to get canned in the offseason. He is throwing it away at an alarming rate compared to his prior seasons. He probably doesn't feel like it is worth it to run around taking blows on a bad knee when they aren't a Super Bowl contender.

I think you're reading a bit too much into things and I highly doubt Rodgers is willingly saving his knees for a better team next year. You don't become the best QB in football by tossing away entire seasons because you're pouting.

I agree on the NFC though and 9-6-1. I think that's a playoff record. I wouldn't be surprised to see Washington to fall out completely, that is not a good team. I don't buy the Bears either. That team could have 7 losses in a month. It will be another interesting finish. Likely the Packers are pushing for a final spot into the last game, and they have already competed tightly with some of the best teams in football. If they get things gelling, who knows.

If anything taught these guys about their Super Bowl run is that any year, can be your year. The defense is playing well together. Is it great yet? No. But it is getting to the point where they are not a liability to this team. If we clean up special teams and find some consistency on offense, good things will happen for this team.

Sort of feel like tonight dictates how things play out. If they lose this one I think we're stuck with the reality this is a .500 team. You just can't go 0-5 on the road and feel much differently.

If they win, especially if it is convincing/encouraging performance on both sides, it's very plausible to see a run coming. Very winnable games upcoming if they are playing well.

Have to agree. I can't envision the season turning around without beating a team like Seattle tonight. This and the win over Miami are the type of wins they need. No more room to struggle with the mediocre teams, otherwise we'll prove that that is what we are too.

If they lose tonight, I think there’s still a path forward for this team (but it obviously narrows). They’d almost certainly have to beat the Vikings next week, but they’d have 10 days rest. I no longer have expectations for this team and just root for them to win week-to-week. It’s almost more fun that way.

Archived