Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers Season Thread: 6-9-1: Mike McCarthy Fired, Philbin Interim HC

pacopete4
I can't get behind the idea that Packers fans in general are smarter about football. I don't know how anyone could possibly prove something like that, and I've heard countless moronic armchair QBs in bars, at Lambeau, and at the office to believe it. Let's take a moment to remember there are a larger-than-tiny faction of fans calling for Matt Hasselbeck to supplant Brett Favre at one point. They may know more about the game than a Rams fan who just started watching football last month, but that's about all I can give them.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't get behind the idea that Packers fans in general are smarter about football. I don't know how anyone could possibly prove something like that, and I've heard countless moronic armchair QBs in bars, at Lambeau, and at the office to believe it. Let's take a moment to remember there are a larger-than-tiny faction of fans calling for Matt Hasselbeck to supplant Brett Favre at one point. They may know more about the game than a Rams fan who just started watching football last month, but that's about all I can give them.

Right, but that's the bias of hearing 99% of fan talk coming from Packers fans. If you listened to Vikings or Bears fans that often, you would come away with a much different opinion, believe me.

Like you said, impossible to prove one way or another. No doubt the Packers fan base is full of really bad hot takes. That comes with the territory with any fan base. But Packers fans in general at least know more 3 players, they know some history of the team, general concepts of offense/defense, etc. So you may not think Packer fans are smart, until you compare them to the fans for every other NFL team. I'm grading on a curve ; )

Right, but that's the bias of hearing 99% of fan talk coming from Packers fans. If you listened to Vikings or Bears fans that often, you would come away with a much different opinion, believe me.

Like you said, impossible to prove one way or another. No doubt the Packers fan base is full of really bad hot takes. That comes with the territory with any fan base. But Packers fans in general at least know more 3 players, they know some history of the team, general concepts of offense/defense, etc. So you may not think Packer fans are smart, until you compare them to the fans for every other NFL team. I'm grading on a curve ; )

I agree, we are bias as we hear all the hot takes on sports radio, in bars, or the office. I think generally, Packer fans are pretty smart. Although then there is this.

The article in JSOnline about HaHa's fall from grace is worth reading.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/11/01/dougherty-unraveling-mystery-ha-ha-clinton-dixs-decline/1848782002/

The big point that maybe some assumed, is that he thinks he is a star and deserves to be paid like one. Apparently his 2016 season really got to his head and according to coaches and teammates, hurt his work ethic. Really makes it sound like the Packers genuinely don't want him around versus a situation where they were being cheap.

Why would a coach leak that information? Seems so petty and does really nothing for the situation.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I agree, we are bias as we hear all the hot takes on sports radio, in bars, or the office. I think generally, Packer fans are pretty smart. Although then there is this.

To be fair, those ladies are clearly tanked. But that's pretty funny.

Two words. Brett & Favre.

The guy made players. Partly due to the fact that he would find 2-3 targets and just continue to feed them.

He didn't make Terry Mickens or Jay Kearney, both of whom were drafted ahead of Schroeder that year. He didn't make Derrick Mayes, who was a 2nd round pick two years later. He didn't make Robert Ferguson either.

There is an opinion that the Packers didn't give Favre weapons, but that simply is not true. From 1994 through 2003 the Packers drafted 17 WRs; four were top-3 round picks (five if you include investing in Bubba Franks as a weapon). Yes, a few late round picks did well (Driver, Schroeder, to an extent Corey Bradford) but plenty did nothing. Ferguson and Mayes were 2nd round picks and did nothing. Anthony Lucas (4th round pick), Joey Jamison (5th round pick) never made the team, nor did DeAndrew Rubin, Carl Ford, Dee Miller, Chris Miller, or Charlie Simmons, and Charles Lee only had a cup of coffee. Schroeder beat most of those guys out for roster spots, and beat out Driver, Mayes, Ferguson, Bradford, and others for a starting spot.

Driver didn't start until after Schroeder left.

2 Punters?

I guess Scott has a baby due?

Ah, OK. Would have been nice if the Packers announced the move with proper context. I’m glad they have the extra roster spot so they don’t have to release someone to make room for the extra punter. Hope it doesn’t mess with the kicking game.

I’m not sure why we wouldn’t kick the tires on him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At the very least he would provide some depth given Wilkerson's injury
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I can’t find anything suggesting Scott is an expecting father.

A pair of articles suggested the Packers were playing tricks with the roster (something Belichick would do). Patterson is a pretty good return man and maybe their ST units have prepped for Scott punts and Crosby kick-offs all week. A interesting use of their last roster spot if that proves true. Of course, another article suggested it may be to light a fire under Scott.

I can’t find anything suggesting Scott is an expecting father.

A pair of articles suggested the Packers were playing tricks with the roster (some Belichick would do). Patterson is a pretty good return man and maybe their ST units have prepped for Scott punts and Crosby kick-offs all week. A interesting use of their last roster spot if that proves true. Of course, another article suggested it may be to light a fire under Scott.

Per @RobDemovsky

With JK Scott's wife due to have a baby, that's why the Packers signed P Drew Kaser on Saturday. Still not clear who will punt tonight as both made the trip.

I saw it scrolling across twitter last night. I don’t remember where I first originally saw it but someone was on it.

Does Rodgers travel separately from the team to away games?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

At least he never used to because that whole thing with that lady with cancer a few years back. I don't see why he wouldn't unless there was a specific reason he needed to go elsewhere or stay later or something.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

What was the situation a few years back?

Woman approached him at the airport and he just kept walking...then Matthews signed for her. Turns out he had signed for her previously

Archived