Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-02: Brewers (Guerra) at Nationals (Rodriguez) 12:35 PM CDT [Brewers win, 9-4; huge 5th inning! -- 3-run Broxton monster bomb, & Yelich's first career GS]

Eye Black
I'm generally more patient about things regarding baseball, but at some point you have to show a sense of urgency. We have 20-some games left, you only have so many opportunities remaining. Guys who are struggling need to be minimized. Guys who are good need to be playing. Frankly, you can't be afraid of running out of bullets. I'm not saying pitch Hader every day or something silly, but there's a point where you need to ask guys to step up when needed.

I imagine Guerra is done for the season as a starter. He's just been bad for a couple of months now.

As has Gio. Really bad. I feel like when it comes to pitchers , we are asking CC to play Russian roulette with 6 bullets in the revolver.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've been a fan of Woodruff, but it seems the team doesn't trust him much. He's had his ups and downs, no doubt. But I would like to have given him a chance like they did with Peralta - a run of a dozen starts or something - instead of just a few here and there. I feel like with rookies, if they struggle quickly, they get pushed back in the cupboard and forgotten.

If they don't believe in the guy, that's okay. Move him to the bullpen or try and use him as a trade chip. I just don't like him being jerked around.

His numbers in the majors weren't bad. 30 IP, 31K, 11BB, 4.80 ERA. Certainly not that good either, but the peripherals are solid.

Gonzalez has a sub. 3.00 ERA at the end of May. He was actually quite good before the wheels fell of the bus.

Not saying that means he's better or anything - just that he has not be terrible all season.

That's the problem in a nutshell though. We have all these interchangeable pitchers who are just as likely to have a good start as a bad one every single time out. These guys are all interchangeable bits and pieces. They have no stopper, no one the opposition fears when they are on the mound every time they are on the mound.

Offensive upgrades aren't that hard to find for relatively cheap during the season. The thing they need (and have trying to get since the 2017 deadline) is high end starting pitching.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I'm generally more patient about things regarding baseball, but at some point you have to show a sense of urgency. We have 20-some games left, you only have so many opportunities remaining. Guys who are struggling need to be minimized. Guys who are good need to be playing. Frankly, you can't be afraid of running out of bullets. I'm not saying pitch Hader every day or something silly, but there's a point where you need to ask guys to step up when needed.

I imagine Guerra is done for the season as a starter. He's just been bad for a couple of months now.

As has Gio. Really bad. I feel like when it comes to pitchers , we are asking CC to play Russian roulette with 6 bullets in the revolver.

The thing with Gio is that the guy produced a 6.0+ WAR last year. A 2.96 ERA, 200 IP. That's really good. You usually don't see guys with his track record just implode like that. That often means he's injured, or he's needs to get his mechanicals in order. If it's the latter, hopefully we can do that.

With Junior, he's never been that good. He's had stretches here and there - but not like Gio. So I don't expect him to suddenly 'get better' - while I could see Gonzalez turn things around. He doesn't need to be an all star - just be average - and he's a huge plus.

I'm honestly not optimistic - but I'll give it a chance. Especially over Guerra.

Remember when Guerra was the opening day starter in 2017?

Remember when he was starting September pennant race games?

I’m going to be sick.

But according to CC, he didn't pitch as bad as the numbers indicate. That's some great managerial reasoning from the best manager in the NL.

With the pitching change there's some time to warm up Hader or Cedeno. Does Woodruff still go vs the top of the order? I assume yes.

He batted, so yes.

He batted before the pitching change, though. I was thinking the home run and Arcia single happened so fast that there was no time to warm up. After he walked, CC could have had time to warm someone up.

I'm sure you're right.

Yelich is good
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived