Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-02: Brewers (Guerra) at Nationals (Rodriguez) 12:35 PM CDT [Brewers win, 9-4; huge 5th inning! -- 3-run Broxton monster bomb, & Yelich's first career GS]

Eye Black
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Counsel is a great manager and criticizing bullpen moves when they don’t work is silly. Stuff happens. We have two good relief pitchers and a bunch of junk on a team that relies as heavily on their pen as any contender.

But.....I would never start Junior again after we picked up Gio.

Counsel is a great manager and criticizing bullpen moves when they don’t work is silly. Stuff happens. We have two good relief pitchers and a bunch of junk on a team that relies as heavily on their pen as any contender.

Gio isn't any better. He may even be worse.

I would be pretty confident betting that Gonzales would be better than this.

In his last 4 starts, Guerra has pitched 14.1 innings and given up 23 runs and 38 baserunners. If the Brewers miss the playoffs by one game, the decision to start Guerra today will go down as one of the most baffling in franchise history.

Probably. I’m certainly not a fan of that trade. But we should at least see what we have in him. He must have really stunk up a bullpen session for us to start Junior in a critical game.

It shouldn't be this hard to score more runs off this Nats SP when he keeps gifting us baserunners.

I get that we're not going to score every time someone gets on base, but the RISP thing on this team is baffling, as is the knack they sometimes have of disappearing offensively after a decent 1st inning & promising-yet-no-runs 2nd inning.

Maybe it's just a matter of time and they'll starting hitting better. But it's so hard not to get anxious quickly when they don't consistently take advantage of good opportunities, whether in the standings or in game situations.

Probably. I’m certainly not a fan of that trade. But we should at least see what we have in him. He must have really stunk up a bullpen session for us to start Junior in a critical game.

Gio pitched on Wednesday. He wouldn't have been an option to start today. Maybe Davies. I don't know when he last pitched though.

Based on what? He’s been terrible from start to finish all season.

In his last 4 starts, Guerra has pitched 14.1 innings and given up 23 runs and 38 baserunners. If the Brewers miss the playoffs by one game, the decision to start Guerra today will go down as one of the most baffling in franchise history.

In Gios last 15 starts he is 1-9 6.78 with a 1.82 Whip.

So.....yeah.

Or, you know, he started a game 4 days ago

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm generally more patient about things regarding baseball, but at some point you have to show a sense of urgency. We have 20-some games left, you only have so many opportunities remaining. Guys who are struggling need to be minimized. Guys who are good need to be playing. Frankly, you can't be afraid of running out of bullets. I'm not saying pitch Hader every day or something silly, but there's a point where you need to ask guys to step up when needed.

I imagine Guerra is done for the season as a starter. He's just been bad for a couple of months now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Based on what? He’s been terrible from start to finish all season.

Gonzalez has a sub. 3.00 ERA at the end of May. He was actually quite good before the wheels fell of the bus.

Not saying that means he's better or anything - just that he has not be terrible all season.

Archived