Brewer Fanatic

2018-09-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Nationals (Strasburg) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-4 -- Lead Blown in 8th Inning After Two Hour Rain Delay]

Eye Black
Anyone think that CC/Johnson/Stearns have sat down with some guidelines as to how Hader will be used? It sure feels that way. Just feels like they won’t deviate from it either. Playing the long game.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was a tough one for sure.

Don't worry though, there are lots of games left, it wasn't a must win, and the manager should hold zero responsibility for end results because the players have to do what they are paid to do.

Is this what the sarcasm font was intended for? Jerky, off the cuff frustration? Putting this silliness in blue doesn’t hide the snark.

He has a point. There are lots of games left, it really wasn't a "must win" in the whole scheme of things, and Soria crapped the bed. That shouldn't have been in blue. It is all correct.

Don't worry though, there are lots of games left, it wasn't a must win, and the manager should hold zero responsibility for end results because the players have to do what they are paid to do.

Is this what the sarcasm font was intended for? Jerky, off the cuff frustration? Putting this silliness in blue doesn’t hide the snark.

I apologize if you are offended.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Anyone think that CC/Johnson/Stearns have sat down with some guidelines as to how Hader will be used? It sure feels that way. Just feels like they won’t deviate from it either. Playing the long game.

It had nothing to do with the typical 2+ innings for Hader so at least two days off. He only pitched an inning Thursday and the blow up on Wednesday.

Counsell talks so much of doing everything he can when they have the chance to win (leading). Hader should be available and he didn’t use him. We needed one batter out of him...that was it. If he wasn’t available they need to reassess their plan.

It's September. Every win (or loss) is becoming more magnified in importance.

At some point, they had better forget about the long game and do what they must to win the game in front of them today.

Personally, I think Hader probably takes a little longer to get warmed up than most other relievers, which could explain him not coming in a bit. You put Soria in with the confidence he can get out of the 8th with a lead.

But ... I would have gotten Hader warming as soon as Soria slipped off that mound and started getting wild.

It had nothing to do with the typical 2+ innings for Hader so at least two days off. He only pitched an inning Thursday and the blow up on Wednesday.

Counsell talks so much of doing everything he can when they have the chance to win (leading). Hader should be available and he didn’t use him. We needed one batter out of him...that was it. If he wasn’t available they need to reassess their plan.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t know the plan or if one exists even. It just feels like it. And whether he pitches to one batter or three, he’s gotta warm up and all that too. It sure feels like they’re trying to eliminate the number of appearances he has this season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The question has to be asked if Counsell is in full control of when Hader pitches. I don't know if it's ever been asked. The only way it makes sense that he is being used this way is if he is following instructions from higher up. Most managers if anything have to be pulled back from using a young stud. The Burnes decision obviously is above his pay grade. Just saying.

I apologize if you are offended.

Offended? No. Confused by your post? A little. Think it sounds like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum? Most definitely.

CC had two occasions in the 8th where Hader could have come in to face one lh hitter to get out of the inning with the lead. If the guidelines are that restrictive on a key reliever who had a day of rest with games on the line in september, time to send him back to the rotation.

I refuse to believe that CC wouldn't have used Hader if he was available. It would defy all logic. If this is proven otherwise, then by all means, crucify CC.

So, Hader wasn't available after a day of rest following 2 days of work, but Jennings was available for the 3rd straight day and 4th in the last 5 days?

CC had two occasions in the 8th where Hader could have come in to face one lh hitter to get out of the inning with the lead. If the guidelines are that restrictive on a key reliever who had a day of rest with games on the line in september, time to send him back to the rotation.

Spot on. If Hader can't be used in situations like this, I want him in the rotation. He'd provide much more value that way.

I refuse to believe that CC wouldn't have used Hader if he was available. It would defy all logic. If this is proven otherwise, then by all means, crucify CC.

So, Hader wasn't available after a day of rest following 2 days of work, but Jennings was available for the 3rd straight day and 4th in the last 5 days?

You don’t believe that they’d limit a prized arm over a journeyman reliever? It is very plausible that Hader is being limited as an organizational plan.

Offended? No. Confused by your post? A little. Think it sounds like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum? Most definitely.

I want you answer this question honestly while a decision is pending on whether you will continue to post on this site...

What would your reaction be if another poster told you, “Think it sounds like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum? Most definitely.”

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Per TomH
As expected, Craig Counsell said Josh Hader was not available tonight because of heavy use and need for rest.

I'm not pretending to know why he wouldn't be available. Just saying it makes zero sense not to use him, so he must not have been available.

So now we are on to tomorrow (or today depending on where you live), and Junior Guerra. I am going to be rooting for Junior like crazy tomorrow as this team needs a bounce back win before the Cubs come to town, however, if he has another implosion, Counsell needs to be held accountable for the decision to start Guerra again. He now has other options.

You don’t believe that they’d limit a prized arm over a journeyman reliever? It is very plausible that Hader is being limited as an organizational plan.

Ask the nats how that worked out with strasburg. Prized arms are valued because they get good hitters out in those spots. Tough to consider the brewers a legit contender if they are intent in giving journeyman relievers spots like tonight routinely down the stretch over their best available relievers.

From some of these posts, you'd think it was a 5+ run lead that was squandered with major gaffes from the manager. A 2 run lead is tenuous. It's on the road. Against a good offense. It's the 8th inning with 6 outs still to get. One of our best relievers didn't get the job done. It happens. Sometimes we're the ones doing it to other teams.

Keep the faith. Whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Archived