Brewer Fanatic

Postseason 25-Man Roster Prediction

obobo55new

Peralta hadn't started for quite awhile.....still could be him......doesn't really matter who starts....I'm sure they know the matchup advantages better then we do.

Now the righties just have to do the job.

Chacin in game 2 makes sense......short rest ....shorter start....then full rest if needed in game 5.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually reading into this a little further, Counsell said it would be guys that haven't been starters as of late. That seems to indicate that we'll see Junior Guerra for probably two-three innings tomorrow.

That sounds more like Peralta, Burnes, and Woodruff to me. Use one as the primary out-getter and you've still got the other two for key outs later. Guess it boils down to the way you interpret "as of late".

Charlie Blackmon (LH) is the Rockies leadoff batter so we'll probably see Jennings or Cedeno for 1 batter then give way to one of Peralta, Burnes, or Woodruff. Blackmon doesn't have dramatic splits but he does slug 61 points lower vs LHP.

Blackmon's splits are pretty similar. Not sure using up a lefty on him is worth it with the other lefties the have on the roster. We'll see I guess.

Charlie Blackmon (LH) is the Rockies leadoff batter so we'll probably see Jennings or Cedeno for 1 batter then give way to one of Peralta, Burnes, or Woodruff. Blackmon doesn't have dramatic splits but he does slug 61 points lower vs LHP.

Blackmon's splits are pretty similar. Not sure using up a lefty on him is worth it with the other lefties the have on the roster. We'll see I guess.

Yeah, I was spoiled by September roster rules. Burning a reliever for one batter in the first inning as a plan is likely out the window.

If it wasn't for Arenado and Story destroying lefties, I don't think starting Cedeno would be that bad of an option. There is a lot of value added when a pitcher you normally count on for getting 1 or 2 outs can give you 4 or 5 outs instead--especially in a playoff series when roster transactions are so limited.

In this case, Cedeno should likely be saved for his normal role as a situational lefty in the mid-late innings. Soria, on the other hand...

I had Peralta #1 on my prospect list for quite a while, and have said several times in IGTs he should be used in the post-season. One pat owed me.

Also said as frustrating as it can be, stick with Arcia, he will come around. Two pats owed me.

Finally, said Santana will be a factor down the stretch. That's one....two...threeeee pats for FV Brewerfan hahahahaha

I do remember your high praise of Freddy Peralta as a prospect, props are in order.

Interestingly though, here's what you posted on page 1 of this topic...

As the unofficial captain of the Freddy Peralta Fan Club, I have to admit there's no room for him. The four starts listed make sense, and no way do I want Peralta coming out of the pen.

I'll go ahead and take over that "captain's" chair, lol.

I had Peralta #1 on my prospect list for quite a while, and have said several times in IGTs he should be used in the post-season. One pat owed me.

Also said as frustrating as it can be, stick with Arcia, he will come around. Two pats owed me.

Finally, said Santana will be a factor down the stretch. That's one....two...threeeee pats for FV Brewerfan hahahahaha

I do remember your high praise of Freddy Peralta as a prospect, props are in order.

Interestingly though, here's what you posted on page 1 of this topic...

As the unofficial captain of the Freddy Peralta Fan Club, I have to admit there's no room for him. The four starts listed make sense, and no way do I want Peralta coming out of the pen.

I'll go ahead and take over that "captain's" chair, lol.

THere's no captain's chair. If Counsell and Stearns determine he deserves to be on the roster, he will be. If they don't, he won't. He's likely very borderline. Stop taking skepticism of Peralta as a personal insult. It most definitely is not that. Personally, I just want the best 12 or 13 pitchers on the roster. If they this he's one, great. If not, great.

THere's no captain's chair. If Counsell and Stearns determine he deserves to be on the roster, he will be. If they don't, he won't. He's likely very borderline. Stop taking skepticism of Peralta as a personal insult. It most definitely is not that. Personally, I just want the best 12 or 13 pitchers on the roster. If they this he's one, great. If not, great.

You need to relax guy.

You need to relax guy.

Does that comment add to the discussion in any way...........at all?

I'm to the point of trusting the judgement of those who make those judgements. It has gotten us this far, so why not?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

You need to relax guy.

Does that comment add to the discussion in any way...........at all?

I'm to the point of trusting the judgement of those who make those judgements. It has gotten us this far, so why not?

Shut down the internet!

You need to relax guy.

LOL, you are ready to pick a fight because people aren't putting Peralta on their completely arbitrary 25-man roster guesses, and I need to relax? Sure.

Even with the bullpen game in game 1, I'd try to save Peralta for one of the road games, simply because fastballs play up much better than breaking balls at altitude.

Dang. Looked through several pages and was starting to think I'd get a chance to be the first one on this train, but you beat me to it. Fastballs do play better at Coors, especially fastballs with movement.

Honestly I don't see how you include both Gio and Miley, as much as I hate to say it. They aren't suited to Coors and the Rockies' LHB's are kind of trash. You need RHP starters and long relievers. You should keep LHP's who actually have experience playing consecutive games and facing just 2-3 batters at a time because CarGo and Blackmon are still somewhat dangerous.

Schoop is a reverse splits guy and he's not as good as Santana or Thames IMO. I'm sure he'll make the roster but it just seems like compounding your mistakes at this point.

Aguilar

Perez

Arcia

Shaw

Moustakas

Yelich

Cain

Braun

Santana

Pina

Kratz

---

Chacin

Peralta (perfect for Coors)

Guerra

Hader

Jeffress

Knebel

Soria

Burnes

Woodruff (another Coors pseudo-starter)

Miley

---

Cedeno or Jennings?

Barnes or Williams?

Schoop or another pitcher?

Thames or Broxton?

I'd lean towards the dangerous LHB bench bat for their good RHP relievers (Thames), another pitcher* (but I know they'll take Schoop), Barnes (coin flip with Williams), and Cedeno.

*For the extra pitcher, I guess I'd probably take Jennings over Gio or Chase because of short-term relief experience, but that's close to a coin flip too. Whatever they do, it will end up being 1000000x smarter than my ideas anyway, so I don't know why I even bother. :laughing

He probably wouldn't even have been on my roster but I have a sneaking suspicion, Jordan lyles.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I don't think Lyles would make it if we were allowed a 30 man roster let alone a 25. Not so much a knock on Lyles as a statement of the competition above him. Plus he has extreme Oliver Drake reverse splits, not ideal for a Rockies lineup.

Vs Colorado this year, 1.32 era in 13.2 innings with 15ks to 3 walk, a .585 whip and only 1 homer given up.

In Sept, over 6 games has given up 0 runs in 7.1 innings with 12ks to 1 walk, only 3 hits for a .545 whip. Some more derek Johnson magic maybe?

Small samples both, but it is what it is. Just saying I would not be shocked.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Vs Colorado this year, 1.32 era in 13.2 innings with 15ks to 3 walk, a .585 whip and only 1 homer given up.

In Sept, over 6 games has given up 0 runs in 7.1 innings with 12ks to 1 walk, only 3 hits for a .545 whip. Some more derek Johnson magic maybe?

Small samples both, but it is what it is. Just saying I would not be shocked.

Lyles took a perfect game into the 8th inning against these same Rockies on May 15 while pitching for the Padres at Petco Park. I remember some talk about that at the time, as it pretty much came out of nowhere.

The guy has been good out of the pen, albeit in low-leverage situations. I don't know if I'd chance putting him on the 25-man, where he'd likely have to pitch big innings. I very much want to bring him back next year, though.

I'd go:

Pitchers:

- Jeremy Jeffress

- Josh Hader

- Corey Knebel

- Joakim Soria

- Corbin Burnes

- Brandon Woodruff

- Freddy Peralta

- Xavier Cedeno

- Zach Davies

- Jhoulys Chacin

- Wade Miley

- Junior Guerra

Hitters:

- Christian Yelich

- Lorenzo Cain

- Ryan Braun

- Jesus Aguilar

- Travis Shaw

- Orlando Arcia

- Mike Moustakas

- Jonathan Schoop

- Manny Pina

- Erik Kratz

- Domingo Santana

- Curtis Granderson

I think the 25th man comes down to Hernan Perez or Keon Broxton. Perez would be better at the plate, Broxton a little faster as a pinch runner and better defensively in the outfield (although he'd likely only be playing in the corners and Perez is pretty decent there). My guess is they'd rather have the better pinch hitter than the better pinch runner and stick with Perez.

Tough luck for Chase Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, Taylor Williams, Dan Jennings, Jordan Lyles, Jacob Barnes, and Matt Albers.

Archived