Brewer Fanatic

Postseason 25-Man Roster Prediction

obobo55new

My 25 man would be:

Pitchers (11): Chacin, Miley, Gio, Davies, JJ, Hader, Knebel, Soria, Burnes, Woodruff, Cedeno

Position Players (14): Pina, Kratz, Aguilar, Shaw, Schoop, Perez, Arica, Moose, Braun, Yelich, Cain, Granderson, Santana, Broxton

Feel bad for Chase and Thames, but it's a tough biz. Thames just brings nothing at this point. He's at best the 3rd PH option after Santana and Granderson. Woodruff and Santana both played themselves onto the roster in September.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 25 man would be:

Pitchers (11): Chacin, Miley, Gio, Davies, JJ, Hader, Knebel, Soria, Burnes, Woodruff, Cedeno

Position Players (14): Pina, Kratz, Aguilar, Shaw, Schoop, Perez, Arica, Moose, Braun, Yelich, Cain, Granderson, Santana, Broxton

Feel bad for Chase and Thames, but it's a tough biz. Thames just brings nothing at this point. He's at best the 3rd PH option after Santana and Granderson. Woodruff and Santana both played themselves onto the roster in September.

Agree with this. I think I trust Anderson more than Davies, but it is pretty clear the brass doesn't. They know more than me.

Guerra is tempting too, but I think you need Keon on the roster for defense and speed.

Could schoop miss the roster?

Can’t imagine a guy they started in game #163 would miss the postseason roster but I guess ya never know.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Could schoop miss the roster?

Can’t imagine a guy they started in game #163 would miss the postseason roster but I guess ya never know.

Personally I'd leave Perez off in favor of Thames. If they believe Arcia can produce like he has the last couple months then I think it does make one of Schoop or Perez expendable. I like the threat of Schoop better. The same with Thames; none of them is particularly good at working a count so I'll take the guys that offer the biggest threat to run one out of the park.

I think with how much they use bullpen, even going 4 man rotation, they go 12 man bullpen. But then again, those bats are hard to cut out.... there will be some really solid players who miss out.

Anderson just gives up too many homeruns to trust out there. He led MLB... not what you want in October.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I can't think of any reason Thames makes it, other than that I mostly agree with what others have posted. Broxton is a more useful version of Thames given how left handed this team is and the fact he can pinch run and be a defensive replacement.

My 25 man would be:

I'd replace Davies or Broxton with Guerra. Guerra should be in the 25 man list as a reliever.

I like Guerra too. It really depends on if they feel they can get by with only 3 "true" starters. Maybe you start Junior for 2 IP in a game you want to bullpen the crap out of (probably a game 2 or 4 in the NLDS). Then you could take him instead of Davies.

I would just hate to see Keon left off. And not just because I like him. I think he provides a lot of value off the bench. It is a tough call. I agree with what seems to be the consensus that there isn't going to be room for Thames.

It's sure nice having such good depth to choose from for the playoff roster -- thank you, Mr. Stearns. Of course, the roster can change from one series to the next. My head's going this way right now re: the 25-man bubble bats:

Keon's bat has been especially worthless for most of September. His speed has been virtually inconsequential in September. His defense can be downright stellar but on the whole likely wouldn't come into play significantly very often if at all if he's only playing minimally in the first place, which would be the case.

I think keeping Arcia is a no-brainer and he's already a mostly-glove guy, although his BA has risen nearly 40 points since he was last recalled from AAA.

Santana can hit off the bench and his September is pleasant testimony to that.

If anyone might be a surprise omission... Granderson's patience at the plate is admirable but if he's not walking, he's not doing much -- although thankfully he's been walking a lot.

Perez has been adequate defensively but mostly "meh" at best at the plate lately, esp. when PH-ing or with runners on base. I can't see putting him on the roster over Schoop or Arcia.

Thames has been nothing but a team-first guy even as his offense has eroded horribly post-Aug. 1st. Good dude. But he's mostly a sure out the past two months, esp. PH-ing and w/ RISP.

So..... beyond the obvious (2 catchers, 5 rotating/starting IFs, & 3 starting OFs), I'd think Santana & Granderson get the next 2 spots (righty & lefty), then maybe Perez over Thames (coin flip & defensive versatility) if they only keep 12 pitchers instead of 13.

Game 1 is Thursday. Whomever starts that game will likely be the game 5 starter if needed.

Can't be Chacin and likely not Gio either. Does it change depending on Cubs/Rockies? Right now it would appear:

Miley

Gio

offday

Chacin

???

offday

Miley

Then theoretically you could start Chacin on normal rest in game 1 of NLCS. (Normal rest would also be game 5 and game 1 of WS).

The more I think about it, the biggest decision is who or how they approach the 4 SP spot. Is that Davies? Guerra? Or do they go with Peralta/Woodruff and rely on the pen? I might go with Guerra, but Peralta might be the surprise choice.

A lot of good, useful players will be left off the roster. That's what happens when you use ~35 guys in September and just about all of them have done something good to help you win games.

Here's my updated prediction on the NLDS roster:

SP (3)

Miley, Gio, Chacin

RP (8)

JJ, Hader, Knebel, Soria, Burnes, Woodruff, Cedeno, Guerra

C (2)

Kratz, Pina

INF (6)

Aguilar, Shaw, Schoop, Perez, Arcia, Moustakas

OF (6)

Braun, Yelich, Cain, Granderson, Santana, Broxton

3 of 4 teams went with 11 pitchers on their DS rosters last season. The other went with 12. This is the trickiest part. There isn't another pitcher I'm dying to get on the roster while all of the position players seemingly have an important role. I don't see either Davies or Anderson making the roster regardless of opponent. I think game 4 sets up nicely to be a bullpen game if 2 of Guerra/Woodruff/Burnes didn't have to pitch in game 3. If game 5 is needed there would be a day off to get some rest for the pen after a bullpen game.

Guerra looked good against the Tigers, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that one game gets him on the playoff roster. The guy barely pitched when they moved to him the pen, and he really only pitched when they were desperate or in blowouts. He pitched 6 innings as a reliever in the last month, there's not a ton to draw there and deem him a dominant bullpen arm.

Personally, I would go with Davies or Anderson over Guerra. I think you're going to want an extra rotation arm in case one of the guys has an awful start where you need to bring someone in right away in the 1st or 2nd inning (remember Marcum) and not kill your bullpen for the rest of the series.

I think certain decisions will come down to whether the Brewers are facing the Cubs or Rockies. With the Rockies big RH bats, I'm not sure you want 2 of your starters to be lefties (Miley and Gio). It might also make you want to find a spot for guys like Peralta and Williams. On the other hand, if you play the Cubs you probably want more lefties for Murphy, Rizzo, Schwarber and to turn around Zobrist & Happ.

With Granderson platooning with Braun and providing OF late inning defense, Thames probably gets Broxton's spot in your proposal as a bench bat. Davies probably makes it as a piggy backer, unless he's bad in his comeback in September, and then Dan Jennings probably gets the final BP spot. Whoever does better in Sept between Barnes and Knebel gets that spot, otherwise I'd say you've called it pretty well.

They might want Broxton's defensive abilities over Thames'. The way Knebel is throwing there is no way he isn't on the post season roster.

Curious why you would have Thames in the upper bubble but Broxton in the lower.

Because in close playoff games, Broxton won't play. He can't hit. If there's an injury to an OF, Broxton can be an injury-replacement. I'd probably keep Santana before Broxton or Thames. I had 1 spot left. I just hope it isn't Barnes or Williams

I don't think it's fair to say Broxton can't hit when he went 20/20 last season, and is one of the only guy on the bench who hits LHP well. He's a borderline major league starter because of his AVG/OBP issues, but perfectly fine off the bench in my opinion. And his defense saves games.

Plus it appears Broxton is the first guy off the bench for defensive purposes.

Just don't see a spot for Thames.

Not sure if they go with 8 pen arms either........last 2 spots might come down to Granderson/ Guerra/Jennings/Broxton.

Guerra has performed great out of the bullpen for multiple innings this past month so I'd take him over Jennings.

A lot of good, useful players will be left off the roster. That's what happens when you use ~35 guys in September and just about all of them have done something good to help you win games.

SP (3)

Miley, Gio, Chacin

RP (8)

C (2)

Kratz, Pina

INF (6)

OF (6)

3 of 4 teams went with 11 pitchers on their DS rosters last season. The other went with 12. This is the trickiest part. There isn't another pitcher I'm dying to get on the roster while all of the position players seemingly have an important role. I don't see either Davies or Anderson making the roster regardless of opponent. I think game 4 sets up nicely to be a bullpen game if 2 of Guerra/Woodruff/Burnes didn't have to pitch in game 3. If game 5 is needed there would be a day off to get some rest for the pen after a bullpen game.

This is my roster as well. Last spot would be down to Davies & Broxton, but I would go with Broxton.

I don't think Thames should make it as well. I do like Thames' personality and agree that he is a total team player, but I don't think he should make the cut. I'm concerned that he will get the nod though, because there were several times in the last few weeks where, for some reason, he was chosen to pinch-hit ahead of Granderson. I'm mean I guess it all worked out even though, with one notable exception, Thames failed to produce in those pinch hit opportunities.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

What's the rule on being in the dugout? Do you have to be on the DL (Vogt, Suter) or active roster to be in the dugout? I would hope that guys that don't fit in one of those two categories and that may not make the post season roster could still be in the dugout, especially if they have been with the team the majority of the year.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Expecting the Cubs, no way Schoop wouldn't make it due to lefty starters. I think keeping Broxton, Grandy, Santana is too many OFs and would give that spot to Guerra. I think you have to plan on 4 starters the way the schedule works out. I don't know which OF they would take out for the extra P but I'd guess Broxton. His D is great but not someone you'd really want to use as a PH. We'll see.

SP (3)

Miley, Gio, Chacin

RP (8)

C (2)

Kratz, Pina

INF (6)

OF (6)

I understand the thought, but I don't think you want to go bullpen game as noted. I think you need a 12th pitcher and Broxton goes. I'm also a bit surprised by Guerra. I guess I would go same as you except Davies and Anderson over Broxton and Guerra.

I also generally disagree with those wanting to keep schoop off the roster. We don't want to go into the DS with only 5 IF, that would significantly hinder double switch situations as we'd want an extra early in case of injury.

SP (3)

Miley, Gio, Chacin

RP (8)

C (2)

Kratz, Pina

INF (6)

OF (6)

I understand the thought, but I don't think you want to go bullpen game as noted. I think you need a 12th pitcher and Broxton goes. I'm also a bit surprised by Guerra. I guess I would go same as you except Davies and Anderson over Broxton and Guerra.

I also generally disagree with those wanting to keep schoop off the roster. We don't want to go into the DS with only 5 IF, that would significantly hinder double switch situations as we'd want an extra early in case of injury.

To me, you need someone like Guerra (or Davies or Anderson if you think they can throw out of the pen).

If it's 3-3 in the 9th and we've matched up/pinch hit the majority of our bullpen, you need Guerra waiting back there ready to pitch 4 extra innings a la Lyles in the marathon Pirates game. If not, you're almost forfeiting an extra innings game or you'll have to have tomorrow's starter go and fake an injury the next day to get an injury replacement on the roster.

To me, you need someone like Guerra (or Davies or Anderson if you think they can throw out of the pen).

If it's 3-3 in the 9th and we've matched up/pinch hit the majority of our bullpen, you need Guerra waiting back there ready to pitch 4 extra innings a la Lyles in the marathon Pirates game. If not, you're almost forfeiting an extra innings game or you'll have to have tomorrow's starter go and fake an injury the next day to get an injury replacement on the roster.

I completely agree. Woodruff and Burnes are definitely multi-inning guys too, but right you want a guy like that as strictly LR for an extra inning game...a guy you hope to never use but he's there and ready when needed. I'd prefer Anderson in that role over Guerra...with Davies as the 4th starter in my scenario. We'll see though.

Archived