Postseason 25-Man Roster Prediction

obobo55new
  • Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C Pina/Kratz

IF: Moose, Arcia, Shaw, Aguilar, Schoop

OF: Braun, Cain, Yelich, Granderson, IF/OF: Perez

TBD: Thames or Santana. Can't see carrying Thames in a series vs. LH dominant staff like Cubs so Santana is my choice.

Just 12 pitchers:

Burnes, Hader, Jeffress, Soria, Miley, Chacin, Cedeno, Anderson, Davies, Gonzalez, Knebel, Jennings. Davies or Gonzalez choice as 4th starter depending on match ups. Davies has good track record vs. Cubs. So does Anderson and Miley has pitched well vs. them this season. Other guy is long man.

Hiura to pinch hit seems like a good idea....might be a possibility with an injury.

Has anyone in MLB history made their debut in the playoffs?

Yes, that little guy with the Royals. Mondesi...even crazier it was the World Series. 2015 if you want to look it up. K vs. Syndergaard

... the Cubs and Dodgers are both left handed heavy starting rotations....

With the days off every two games, I am only keeping 11 guys in the pen.

Being able to go with less pitchers, allows to keep bats on bench just to pinch hit. So you are not necessarily picking the full roster based on how heavy they are for starters. You want to be able to pinch hit against their tough guys in the pen. (Jansen and Strop actually neutral/reverse splits)

4SP: Chacin, Miley, Anderson, Gio

7Pen: Jeffress, Hader, Burnes, Soria, Cendeno, Knebel, Woodruff/Davies

2: Kratz, Pina

5: Moose, Arcia, Schoop, Shaw, Aguilar

4OF: Yelich, Cain, Braun, Granderson

3Bench: Thames, Broxton, Santana

Being able to go with less pitchers, allows to keep bats on bench just to pinch hit. So you are not necessarily picking the full roster based on how heavy they are for starters. You want to be able to pinch hit against their tough guys in the pen. (Jansen and Strop actually neutral/reverse splits)

I could get on board with this, if you take Perez over Thames. I know people don't like Perez but he's been pretty good against lefties and they need his versatility on defense. Being able to plug him in as a defensive replacement pretty much anywhere late in the game really gives CC some flexibility as far as pinch hitting, pinch running, etc.

I could get on board with this, if you take Perez over Thames. I know people don't like Perez but he's been pretty good against lefties and they need his versatility on defense. Being able to plug him in as a defensive replacement pretty much anywhere late in the game really gives CC some flexibility as far as pinch hitting, pinch running, etc.

No disagreement on Perez and his versatility, but CC can't seem to stop himself from starting him more often than he should.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Seems like Schoop has replaced Perez as the utility infielder, he can't play OF but if we keep Grandy and Santana we don't need Perez as a 6th OF and a 3rd 3B/SS/2B. I might consider Broxton over Perez for his pinch running/elite OF defense

I don't think there's any way Perez doesn't make the postseason roster. Counsell loves him some Hernan. Plus he's good defensively at 2B, 3B and the corner OF, and also adequate at SS and CF. That has a lot of value when you lose all the expanded roster depth.

Who stays? Who goes?

3. SP Chacin, Gio, Miley,

8. RP Peralta, Williams, Cedeno, Burnes, Knebel, Hader, Soria, Jeffress,

8. Lineup

Cain. Yelich, Aguilar, Shaw, Braun, Moose, Pina, Arcia

1. C. Kratz

3 IF. Perez. Schoop

2 OF. Granderson, Santana, Thame

I think that’s pretty close, rick. I can’t see them not including Anderson, though.

It’s getting harder by the day to want Thames on the roster. I wouldn’t be stunned to see them choose Broxton instead to have a PR on the bench.

I think Woodruff grabs a relief spot over Peralta.

I think Woodruff grabs a relief spot over Peralta.

Oooh, I want some friendly action on that one!

Which means that we'll both be wrong and Jordan Lyles will grab that final pen spot. ;)

Lol, you never know. They might have some analytics that say Lyles is the way to go. Personally, going off rickh150's 25 man, I'd swap out Williams for Woodruff and have both he and Peralta on there.

Lol, you never know. They might have some analytics that say Lyles is the way to go. Personally, going off rickh150's 25 man, I'd swap out Williams for Woodruff and have both he and Peralta on there.

I just don't know where Peralta would fit on the playoff roster. You likely aren't going to start him. He hasn't really pitched much out of the pen. They do seems to really like him though.

I just don't know where Peralta would fit on the playoff roster. You likely aren't going to start him. He hasn't really pitched much out of the pen. They do seems to really like him though.

I look at him as a weapon. He's dominant vs RHB. 144 Abs, .111 BA, .209 OBP, .188 SLG, .396 OPS against. That's extremely useful.

VS RHB he's Haderesque

The 25 man roster can be changed after the Wild Card Game and before the NLDS begins. With that in mind, this is what I would anticipate the roster looking like for the Wild Card Game if we don’t win the division:

OF: Yelich, Cain, Braun, Granderson, Santana, and Broxton

IF: Aguilar, Shaw, Arcia, Moustakas, Schoop, and Perez

C: Pina, Kratz, and Nottingham

SP: Chacín and Gonzalez

BP: Hader, Jeffress, Knebel, Soria, Cedeno, Burnes, Woodruff, and Guerra

I don’t see any possible way of Thames making the roster. Broxton will be there as a pinch runner for late in the game and/or a defensive replacement. I also think that they will carry 3 catchers because of the possibility of injury occurring to both Pina and Kratz or the game going to extra innings with one of the two being lifted for a pinch runner earlier in the game. The last thing you want is to run out of catchers in the playoffs.

The one player that could be left off the roster would be Guerra in place of Williams or Peralta. I see Peralta having a bright future for Milwaukee, but it is a big risk carrying him on the roster right now since you never know what his command will look like that day. Woodruff and Guerra make the roster incase of a long extra inning game taking place. I do feel like they will carry a lot of extra bats and pinch hit for the pitcher nearly every time through the lineup.

I don't think they will keep Nottingham for 1 game. Also no way Jennings is left off, I mean we just started him in our biggest series of the year.

I still think Schoop and Perez are totally redundant but looks like they are both here to stay. I think for a 1 game roster they would also keep Thames over Woodruff, we don't need a long man and if somehow we did Burnes would be up first.

I don't really mind Schoop. He hasn't worked as we'd hoped but I still feel like he could turn it at any moment and that's worth keeping around. He can put together a quality AB better than a lot of guys. And when we make it to the World Series he is familiar with Red Sox and Yankees pitching.

The homer off MadBum was worth the trade in and of itself, imho. As stated before, he is taking longer to adjust but I think he has some special moments in him .... much more so than Thames would at this point.

In the one game scenario, I dont see Thames not making it with the need for less pitchers.

For a one game playoff "series", you could basically whittle your rotation down to 1 guy and carry at least 3 extras, could you not?

So if you're starting Chacin you could leave off Gio, Miley, and Anderson, and carry extras in the pen and bench. Wild card roster shouldn't be a ton different than what we got now minus guys like Nottingham and Saladino who serve no real purpose anyway.

Archived