Brewer Fanatic

Postseason 25-Man Roster Prediction

obobo55new

C - pina/kratz

IF - aguilar, schoop, perez, arcia, shaw, moose

OF - cain, yelich, braun, granderson, thames

SP - chacin, miley, anderson, gio, davies??

BP - hader, knebel, jeffress, jennings, burnes, soria, last spot (Cedeno, Peralta, Taylor W, Woodruff)

That would be my guess. Don't see much wiggle room outside of what's here, unless you drop 1 BP option for another stick

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C - pina/kratz

IF - aguilar, schoop, perez, arcia, shaw, moose

OF - cain, yelich, braun, granderson, thames

SP - chacin, miley, anderson, gio, davies??

BP - hader, knebel, jeffress, jennings, burnes, soria, last spot (Cedeno, Peralta, Taylor W, Woodruff)

That would be my guess. Don't see much wiggle room outside of what's here, unless you drop 1 BP option for another stick

Thames is bating one eighteen snice July 31st horrid defense (seeing most time in the outfield) maybe he’s out ?

I feel a little bad for Thames since his playing time has been cut significantly over the past month here (and I'm sure that hasn't helped him get out of this major slump), but I just get the sense that he's the one guy on this team that has maybe "checked out" a bit. Maybe I'm way off base, but his body language hasn't looked the greatest when he has gotten playing time recently, and I do have to wonder if he might be the odd man out in a playoff roster crunch.

C: Kratz, Pina

1B: Aguilar

2B: Schoop

SS: Perez, Arcia

3B: Shaw, Moose

OF: Granderson, Yelich, Cain, Broxton (Def), Santana (as a PH), Braun

SP: Gio, Anderson, Chacin, Miley

Bullpen: Hader, JJ, Cedeno, Soria, Burnes, Kniebel, Woodruff

This is the roster I would like to see. Santana has looked great. He would be the first one out for me. First 3 out are: Jennings, Davies, Thames

I feel a little bad for Thames since his playing time has been cut significantly over the past month here (and I'm sure that hasn't helped him get out of this major slump), but I just get the sense that he's the one guy on this team that has maybe "checked out" a bit. Maybe I'm way off base, but his body language hasn't looked the greatest when he has gotten playing time recently, and I do have to wonder if he might be the odd man out in a playoff roster crunch.

Thames is going to start playing a lot again. We faced an insane run of left-handed pitchers the last few weeks. With Aguilar slumping a bit, Thames is going to get a lot of starts against righty starters.

At this point I know I'd rather have Cedeno than Jennings. I doubt CC agrees though. Then the last spot Williams IMO of those listed. You already have one of the 5 SP listed as a long man type instead of Woodruff.

Also if Thames scuffles to finish the year and Santana keeps doing well it wouldn't surprise me if Santana got his spot. That's probably assuming they still view Braun as a possibility at 1B if needed during late game subs.

Thames is going to start playing a lot again. We faced an insane run of left-handed pitchers the last few weeks. With Aguilar slumping a bit, Thames is going to get a lot of starts against righty starters.

Yes this is absolutely true. Thames hasn't looked terrible at the plate lately, but I think he's going to have to show a lot to make a postseason roster at this point. With how Granderson and Santana have looked so far. Couple that with the fact that Shaw can play some 1b.

But with that said if we are discussing a post season 25 ... the Cubs and Dodgers are both left handed heavy starting rotations. Thames wouldn't be starting in those games either. The only series he would have a chance of getting consecutive stars is Atlanta and at this point you would start Granderson in the OF over him.

Wild card game:

1b: Aguilar, Thames

2b: Schoop, Shaw

SS: Perez, Saladino, Arcia

3b: Moustakas

OF: Braun, Yelich, Cain, Granderson, Broxton, Santana

SP: Chacin

RP: Jeffress, Knebel, Soria, Hader, Cedeno, Burnes, Jennings, (either one of the SP just in case of long extra inning game or one of Williams/Barnes/Woodruff)

If they get to the NLDS:

1b: Aguilar

2b: Schoop, Shaw

ss: Perez, Arcia

3b: Moustakas

OF: Braun, Yelich, Cain, Granderson, Broxton, Santana

SP: Chacin, Miley, Anderson, TBD between Davies and Gonzalez

RP: Jeffress, Knebel, Soria, Hader, Cedeno, Burnes, Jennings

For the NLDS should they make it, I'm thinking I would want them to go with an 11 man pitching staff. 7 relievers and 4 starters.

Sucks that Thames probably doesn't make the NLDS roster since he's been a big part of this team the past two years, but Granderson is just better right now. Thames could turn it on down the stretch though and change my mind.

My NLDS squad:

C: Pina, Kratz

IF: Aguilar, Schoop, Shaw, Moose, Perez, Arcia

OF: Cain, Yelich, Braun, Granderson, Broxton

SP: Chacin, Miley, Anderson, Davies

Pen: Gio, Hader, JJ, Knebel, Soria, Burnes, Cedeno, Woodruff

Thames or Broxton is tough, but Granderson is better than Thames and it would be really nice to have Broxton's D and speed available. Also, if they're playing the Cubs you don't need the extra lefty bat. I did strongly consider leaving off another pitcher (Woodruff) to have both Broxton and Thames.

Need to see more of Gio to see what we have in him...

Exactly. I too hope he's the 2018 version of Don Sutton, but I think there needs to be a little brake tapping on the ace savior talk.

[sarcasm]Don Sutton has been pitching still? Maybe the Brewers should have just picked him up![/sarcasm] :)

Need to see more of Gio to see what we have in him...

Exactly. I too hope he's the 2018 version of Don Sutton, but I think there needs to be a little brake tapping on the ace savior talk.

[sarcasm]Don Sutton has been pitching still? Maybe the Brewers should have just picked him up![/sarcasm] :)

LOL, the 2018 version of the 1982 Don Sutton acquisition. Although Don did have a rubber arm ...

Interesting roster rule quirk for the postseason -- if an injured player needs to be replaced, the replacement does NOT need to be on the 40 man roster. So if, hypothetically, something happened to an infielder, or outfielder, or reliever, they could theoretically be replaced with someone like Hiura, Ray, or QTC.

If Broxton for example got injured in the postseason, assuming he made the roster, I'd almost expect him to be replaced by Ray.

I go

IF (6) - Aguilar, Moose, Shaw, Schoop, Perez, Arcia

OF (5) - Cain, Yelich, Braun, Granderson, Santana

C (2) - Pina/Kratz

SP (4) - Chacin, Miley, Anderson, Gio

BP (8) - Hader, Knebel, Jeffress, Burnes, Soria, Cedeno, Jennings, Woodruff

The reason I go Santana is we will need offense. Broxton is a great OF but can't hit and it isn't like Cain, Yelich, Braun and Granderson are bad OF's. Now if we are arguing for adding Broxton to pinch run, then maybe.

Interesting roster rule quirk for the postseason -- if an injured player needs to be replaced, the replacement does NOT need to be on the 40 man roster. So if, hypothetically, something happened to an infielder, or outfielder, or reliever, they could theoretically be replaced with someone like Hiura, Ray, or QTC.

If Broxton for example got injured in the postseason, assuming he made the roster, I'd almost expect him to be replaced by Ray.

Ray specifically might be a reach, but I see your point and generally understand the logic.

Archived