Brewer Fanatic

Postseason 25-Man Roster Prediction

obobo55new
Chase Anderson was the opening day starter, hasn't been pitching poorly yet not only is he not on the 25, literally nobody is suggesting he should be. I've seen several other name come up, but not his. So we have a pretty good starting pitcher who's around #30 on the roster, really crazy to think about.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope Schoop is the NLCS MVP.

Hard to be an MVP of anything when you never play.

Not saying he should be playing, but it sure seems like the trade we made for him was not a good idea.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Not saying he should be playing, but it sure seems like the trade we made for him was not a good idea.

I don't see the package we gave up even amounting to much of anything, so I think the deal will end of being a wash at worst. Schoop pretty much beat the Giants and Bumgarner with one swing a few weeks back, and considering where we finished in the standings after #162, that game was pretty huge in hindsight.

I personally don't think the full story on Schoop's Brewer career has been written yet, though.

I'm going to be all controversial now. Add a pitcher (Cedeno or Davies - this isn't the controversial part) and remove...Santana.

Santana has one use: pinch hitter. That's it. He'll never start over Yelich/Cain/Braun and he won't be a defensive replacement over Broxton. It's between him and Granderson and you probably need to keep Granderson because he's a lefty.

I like having Woodruff, Guerra, Peralta, and Burnes all there in the bullpen. Adds a lot of flexibility. Plus, you might be able to do a bullpen day with just three of them and none of the Frosty Boys, depending on how the game goes. Adding Cedeno would give you that lefty-out getter while reducing flexiblity, while Davies would give you a possible starter and long reliever. I could see going with either one.

Dude had a obp of .246 with and a .577 ops as a Brewer. Awful.

And for you Short Sample Sizers...

.266 obp and .682 ops in over 500 abs on the season.

Now look at what his numbers were last year, and the two before that.

Saladino has been what he was this year forever. Schoop seems to be having a very bad year, but has at least shown that he could potentially be a different hitter than that.

However, no one can argue that he's been anything short of terrible as a Milwaukee Brewer thus far.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schoojo01.shtml

Dude had a obp of .246 with and a .577 ops as a Brewer. Awful.

And for you Short Sample Sizers...

.266 obp and .682 ops in over 500 abs on the season.

Schoop, as a hitter, is the reincarnation of...

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/6218.png&w=350&h=254

I'm going to be all controversial now. Add a pitcher (Cedeno or Davies - this isn't the controversial part) and remove...Santana.

Santana has one use: pinch hitter. That's it. He'll never start over Yelich/Cain/Braun and he won't be a defensive replacement over Broxton. It's between him and Granderson and you probably need to keep Granderson because he's a lefty.

I like having Woodruff, Guerra, Peralta, and Burnes all there in the bullpen. Adds a lot of flexibility. Plus, you might be able to do a bullpen day with just three of them and none of the Frosty Boys, depending on how the game goes. Adding Cedeno would give you that lefty-out getter while reducing flexiblity, while Davies would give you a possible starter and long reliever. I could see going with either one.

Davis stats in Sept is not good, IMO he should not be the NLCS roster. Santana is our best pinch hitter and he should be in the roster.

For me, the only roster spot in contest is between Granderson vs Cendeno depending on whether Counsell wants 11 or 12 pitchers. I'd keep Ganderson and keep the roster the same as the NLDS.

Chacin, Miley, Gio, Anderson

Hader, Jeffress, Knebel, Burnes Soria, Cedeno, Woodruff, Guerra

Cain Yelich Braun Granderson , Broxton, Santana

Pina Kratz

Shaw, Aguliar, Moose, Perez, Schoop

Did our shortstop miss the bus?

I don't see the package we gave up even amounting to much of anything, so I think the deal will end of being a wash at worst. Schoop pretty much beat the Giants and Bumgarner with one swing a few weeks back, and considering where we finished in the standings after #162, that game was pretty huge in hindsight.

I personally don't think the full story on Schoop's Brewer career has been written yet, though.

Jonathan Villar would easily have eclipsed Schoop's meager contributions to the Brewers.

That said, I hope 2019 Schoop plays like the second coming of Ryne Sandberg.

Jonathan Villar would easily have eclipsed Schoop's meager contributions to the Brewers.

That is very flawed logic. Villar wasn't playing, and it was obvious he wasn't going to play. This has been pointed out countless times in countless threads. Villar was ready to come off the DL for at least a week when he was dealt, yet the Brewers kept him there. For whatever reason, Counsell was done with him. Looking at his stats with Baltimore, and saying he would have done that in Milwaukee, is comparing apples and oranges. Villar was the definition of a "throw-in" in that deal.

I hope Villar plays well for the Orioles and becomes a good Major League regular. I loved the energy and enthusiasm he brought. He was never going to achieve that with the Brewers, though.

If Villar was on this team still, I have very little doubt in my mind that we would have someone like Sogard or Saladino on the 25 man roster instead of him. So... long live Schoop!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I probably drop Santana and add Cedeno. Also swap either Chase/Davies for Peralta, or possibly even both of them for Peralta and Guerra. I think either of Chase/Davies can have success pitching in LA, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them there.

I think they go to 12 pitchers for the series, so you need to drop a bench player and Santana is probably the easiest one to drop IMO. He brings nothing other than a PH bat. There will usually be at least 3 RH bats on the bench in addition to him in Schoop, Broxton, and Perez. Is Santana a better hitter than those guys? Probably, but he doesn't bring anything else to the table and those guys do. I would consider dropping Schoop instead, but I just don't think there's any chance the Brewers do that. I expect he'll actually get a couple starts in the series.

SP - Chacin, Miley, Gio

RP - Hader, Jeffress, Knebel, Burnes Soria, Cedeno, Woodruff, Guerra, Peralta

OF - Cain, Yelich, Braun

IF - Moose, Arcia, Shaw, Aguliar

C - Pina

Bench - Granderson, Broxton, Perez, Schoop, Kratz

Game 4 could be a bullpen day or just start Woodruff and then go to Guerra

Came down to Santana vs Granderson and needed a LH hitter off the bench

SP - Chacin, Miley, Gio

OF - Cain, Yelich, Braun

C - Pina

I think you are pretty close. Freddy and Davies threw bullpens yesterday, so that makes me wonder if Davies will be on the roster and be making a start. Not sure who he would be replacing, though. The only answer I can come up with is Woodruff, and that would be surprising and unfortunate, as he's been lights out lately.

SP - Chacin, Miley, Gio

OF - Cain, Yelich, Braun

C - Pina

I think you are pretty close. Freddy and Davies threw bullpens yesterday, so that makes me wonder if Davies will be on the roster and be making a start. Not sure who he would be replacing, though. The only answer I can come up with is Woodruff, and that would be surprising and unfortunate, as he's been lights out lately.

Could that have been an audition to determine the final spot? See what kinda stuff they each have after an extended time without game speed/condition pitching.

Freddy and Davies threw bullpens yesterday, so that makes me wonder if Davies will be on the roster and be making a start.

Possibly, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Neither has pitched in a while, so they need to keep everyone sharp in case they're needed at some point. I'm sure they've done the same with Anderson, Williams, Barnes, etc.

SP - Chacin, Miley, Gio

OF - Cain, Yelich, Braun

C - Pina

No need for me to type it out since I think this nails it. It's as simple as needing 1 more pitcher for the potential 7 games in 9 days, and swapping out the one dimensional Santana for an added lefty in the pen (Cedeno).

Freddy and Davies threw bullpens yesterday, so that makes me wonder if Davies will be on the roster and be making a start.

Possibly, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Neither has pitched in a while, so they need to keep everyone sharp in case they're needed at some point. I'm sure they've done the same with Anderson, Williams, Barnes, etc.

I was going to say, there are probably 7 or 8 guys throwing bullpen sessions and staying ready. Guys like Thames, Saladino, Nottingham, etc are probably taking regular BP and/or playing in simulated games every other day to stay sharp and continue to see live pitching....juuuuuuust in case.

That is very flawed logic. Villar wasn't playing, and it was obvious he wasn't going to play. This has been pointed out countless times in countless threads. Villar was ready to come off the DL for at least a week when he was dealt, yet the Brewers kept him there. For whatever reason, Counsell was done with him. Looking at his stats with Baltimore, and saying he would have done that in Milwaukee, is comparing apples and oranges. Villar was the definition of a "throw-in" in that deal.

I hope Villar plays well for the Orioles and becomes a good Major League regular. I loved the energy and enthusiasm he brought. He was never going to achieve that with the Brewers, though.

Counsell is as much to blame as Stearns. To say that Counsell wasn't playing Villar so he needed to be traded takes two wrongs and tries to call it right.

Counsell is as much to blame as Stearns. To say that Counsell wasn't playing Villar so he needed to be traded takes two wrongs and tries to call it right.

Fair enough, but we aren't playing in a vacuum, either. Personally I would have loved for them to give Villar the job and stick with him, but Counsell wasn't going to do that, and Counsell isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It was probably a win that Stearns was able to flip him for any value at all, considering he was probably an eyelash close to being DFA'd.

I, too, hope that Schoop can put up great numbers next year. I think that best case, though, he's going to put up numbers similar to what Rickie Weeks did in an average year - .260 average, 15-20 HRs, and a bunch of Ks. I'd love for them to go grab someone like Daniel Murphy on a 1-2 year deal, as they don't need another total free swinger in the lineup every day. I guess it is what it is, though.

I don't want to dig too deep into this, but I recall seeing that Villar got off to a roaring start against the Rangers.

Here's an oversimplified, yet telling stat:

Villar (with Baltimore)

vs. better than .500 teams: .232/.312/.352/.664 (142 PA)

vs. worse than .500 teams: .298/.372/.452/.825 (94 PA)

Schoop (with Milwaukee)

vs. better than .500 teams: .188/.230/.250/.480 (87 PA)

vs. worse than .500 teams: .227/.277/.477/.754 (47 PA)

Point being, Villar basically cleaned up against a few AA pitching staffs. The Brewers had a pretty tough schedule, Schoop struggled against some good teams, and they had to bench him. Villar got to keep racking it up against bad pitching staffs.

Another interesting split, with Baltimore, Villar racked up essentially all of his good numbers with Baltimore against "finesse pitchers" (bottom 3rd of the league in Ks + BBs)...I don't think he'd see many of those in the playoffs.

Archived