Brewer Fanatic

Postseason 25-Man Roster Prediction

obobo55new
We can't get rid of Schoop. Doing so leaves Perez as the only reserve IF option and makes it very difficult to use him early. That's basically a hard no, I'm not sure why this idea is gaining so much traction as it makes zero sense.

Because Schoop sucks and his roster spot could be used by someone more useful.

Is it someone who can play IF? Because that is the point right now. I guess Salidino could be the guy. But right now our IF has one guy playing out of position and then one backup if drop Schoop. That is very thin.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can't get rid of Schoop. Doing so leaves Perez as the only reserve IF option and makes it very difficult to use him early. That's basically a hard no, I'm not sure why this idea is gaining so much traction as it makes zero sense.

Because Schoop sucks and his roster spot could be used by someone more useful.

Gonna put Saladino on instead? If you take of Schoop all you have is Perez to back up 3 spots while keeping 3 OFs to back up at spots where they'll never start a game. It's Saladino or Schoop, so I don't think it's close. IDK, maybe we can get Sogard back up.

Right that's the argument. If you keep 5, you really can't use Perez until very late in game. Same principle as not using your backup catcher until you have to. If we use Perez in the 4th or 5th inning and Shaw or Arcia or Perez gets hurt in the 7th...what do we do? You may not notice it, but CC generally will keep one infielder on the bench until at least the 8th or 9th inning. So much of the strength of this team is flexibility, no way to do we limit that by only keeping 5 infielders.

So if not Schoop, then yes you're looking at Saladino or Sogard or Orf or someone that can play middle infield. It isn't going to be a bench of C, Santana, Granderson, Broxton, Perez. You need that 6th infielder.

Schoop is in. Not sure why that is being debated really. If they didn't have him, it could end up being a disaster with later game substitutions.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes, I'd rather have Saladino. He puts together better at bats.

Just to be clear though, in your original post you said Thames. Would you still try to get Thames on the roster?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes, I'd rather have Saladino. He puts together better at bats.

Just to be clear though, in your original post you said Thames. Would you still try to get Thames on the roster?

Saladino should be no where near the playoff roster. He’s horrible. Thames either.

Jeez, I hope Schoop starts a game and goes 3/4. Saladino better than Schoop is a comical overreaction to small sample and circumstances.

Everyone should prepare for Schoop to start games due to the lefty pitchers. Shaw had good stats vs the lefty of Colorado so he got that game, but if he has bad numbers vs a LAD lefty we'll see what they do. They might go Perez though

To win it all, more players are going to have big moments. I believe Schoop is one of those guys.

I don't have an issue Schoop being on the roster, but when I think of what he brings to the roster in a playoff series I just think he brings less than Broxton, Santana, Granderson, and Perez.

I definitely will concede the point that Counsell will need to be more selective with when he uses the infielder coming off the bench. We've seen he's been selective with where he's used Perez and Broxton off the bench already since he likely wants those guys to come in as defensive subs if they have a lead or pinch running in a critical late game situation. That's why we've seen Santana be the first guy off the bench in a PH role even if it isn't a particularly high leverage PA. Counsell has already shown that he's got what it takes to work with a short bench and utilize his players to the most favorable opportunities.

I think it's highly likely they move to a 12 man pitching staff for the NLCS so that means reducing the position player group by one.

Broxton is on the roster for me. Pinch runner in a key spot and defensive sub.

For me, the decision is between Schoop and Granderson. Neither adds a ton of positional flexibility or important defensive ability (Schoop is fine at 2b and Granderson is poor in the OF). Both have some pop. Most of the Dodgers good relievers are right handed and I also trust Granderson to be more selective at the plate and draw a walk if it's being given to him.

Give me Broxton, Granderson, Perez, Santana, and Pina off the bench.

I won't be surprised either way on the Schoop though. That's just my thought process on it.

Why do people want Guerra off? He's been lights out since moving to the pen. Can eat up multiple innings to help with the bullpenning strategy. I think he stays.

I agree completely. He is probably more valuable than Cedeno or Jennings as is, handedness withstanding. That's why I think Cedeno perhaps replaces Peralta, but that is probably about it for swap-outs.

Why do people want Guerra off? He's been lights out since moving to the pen. Can eat up multiple innings to help with the bullpenning strategy. I think he stays.

Totally this.

Makes no sense to take out a guy who can give you short or long innings, who has been nothing but effective.

Guerra stays imo.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Agree on Guerra. He's shown he can do well in this role. Whereas guys like Anderson and Davies haven't, not saying they can't it's just they haven't yet.

I guess I'll be the 4th or 5th guy to agree on keeping Guerra. I'd like to get Anderson or Davies onto the roster, but definitely not at the expense or Guerra.

Agree on Guerra. He's shown he can do well in this role. Whereas guys like Anderson and Davies haven't, not saying they can't it's just they haven't yet.

I guess I'll be the 4th or 5th guy to agree on keeping Guerra. I'd like to get Anderson or Davies onto the roster, but definitely not at the expense or Guerra.

You know what's awesome? We have too many quality pitchers to choose from! Several good pitchers are going to get the shaft, and while that sucks for them, it is great for the Brewers. This team is nobody's underdog.

I'd probably change the NLDS roster as minimally as possible. Just focus on the needs against the Dodgers that aren't currently being fulfilled.

Situational lefty: Add Cedeno

Initial Out Getter with great numbers against the Dodgers: Add Davies

Counsell said pre-NLDS that he really wished he could've had Cedeno on the roster. He also said Peralta was on there because of previous success against the Rockies and even then he didn't pitch in the series (I know he was being held back if possible for game 4, but still).

For a 7-game series, I don't think they'll want to go with less than 12 pitchers, particularly if some of the IOG's don't go very deep, so in order to add Davies they'll need to remove a position player. Infield seems pretty thin without Schoop, so you're probably looking at one of Santana/Broxton/Granderson. They all have a niche:

Santana: Best righty power bat off the bench. Won't play defense unless absolutely necessary.

Broxton: Great defensive replacement, fastest player on team, good power bat, hit a homer in NLDS.

Granderson: Decent defense in outfield, only lefty non-starter off bench.

Given the Dodgers' lefty-heavy rotation (Kershaw/Hill/Ryu), I'm not sure how valuable Granderson is off the bench, as most games we will probably have either Shaw our Moustakas out of the starting lineup. I'm not saying Granderson wouldn't have value but for this particular series, I think he might just be the 26th guy I'd want on the 25-man roster.

So to sum it up:

+ Davies, Cedeno

- Peralta, Granderson

I don't see using historical numbers with Davies, when he hasn't even pitched against the Dodgers this year. At this point, it would be how well has Davies pitched the last month.

To me he has pitched average in September. I don't think that is enough to get him on the roster over Anderson (and not sure Anderson makes it).

My vote would be to drop one of Broxton, Granderson, Schoop and add Cendeno. If they want to replace Peralta with Anderson, I would have no problem with that. But make sure pitch Anderson pitches at LA and Miley pitches in Milwaukee. LA is still harder to hit a HR at, right?

Chacin games 1, 4, 7

Miley games 2, 6 (want to get Miley games at Miller Park - as ground ball pitcher)

Gonzalez (with quick backup) 3

Bullpenner 5 (day off after this game)

You have Guerra, Peralta, and Woodruff to eat innings if there is a bad start.

I don't see using historical numbers with Davies, when he hasn't even pitched against the Dodgers this year. At this point, it would be how well has Davies pitched the last month.

My vote would be to drop one of Broxton, Granderson, Schoop and add Cendeno. If they want to replace Peralta with Anderson, I would have no problem with that. But make sure pitch Anderson pitches at LA and Miley pitches in Milwaukee. LA is still harder to hit a HR at, right?

Chacin games 1, 4, 7

Miley games 2, 6 (want to get Miley games at Miller Park - as ground ball pitcher)

Gonzalez (with quick backup) 3

Bullpenner 5 (day off after this game)

You have Guerra, Peralta, and Woodruff to eat innings if there is a bad start.

I agree with many points. One tidbit on Davies, if he's had success against them historically and they haven't seen him this year...could that be considered an advantage? Maybe, hard to say.

It's well documented that Schoop needs to be on the roster.

I like the thought of Miley pitching at Miller Park. I'm anticipating Miley and Chacin as the 2 primary starters with 3 johnny wholestaff type games. I don't think we have Chacin go on short rest. I'm anticipating Miley in 1 and 5, Chacin in 3 and 7, bullpen games 2, 4, and 6. That splits up the bullpen games a bit so we don't have 2 of them in LA. If they do the roster how I'm hoping, you'd be looking at GG/Woodruff/Guerra/(Davies or Anderson) and going with 2 or 3 of those guys each game to try and bridge to the 5th or 6th. If it's going well in any game and we have say a 2-0 lead, you can leave the starter in longer and/or go straight to burnes in the 4th or 5th inning.

I hope Schoop is the NLCS MVP.

However, no one can argue that he's been anything short of terrible as a Milwaukee Brewer thus far.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schoojo01.shtml

Dude had a obp of .246 with and a .577 ops as a Brewer. Awful.

And for you Short Sample Sizers...

.266 obp and .682 ops in over 500 abs on the season.

Archived