Brewer Fanatic

Postseason 25-Man Roster Prediction

obobo55new
  • Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep in mind that with bullpen game(s) I doubt a pitcher hits for themselves at all during those games so they will need extra bats.

My little knowledge believes this is the answer. If every arm in the bullpen will be expected to throw more than an inning... Cedeno and Jennings become not as valuable AND like mentioned above, we will need the bats.

With no Cedneno or Jennings is it safe to assume Miley and/or Gio have better chance of loogy duty than starting a game?

Yes, I think that is safe to say. As others have said, not a lot of fire power from the Rockies from the left side of the plate. Looks like Woodruff/Guerra, Chacin, Peralta for the starters in this series. Would be very different if they faced the Cubs of course. It is interesting though they're going bullpen instead of starting either Anderson or Davies. Finally, I would point out Cedeno could have been used as a LOOGY, but he really isn't one. His splits are almost identical.

That's really just because he's been effective against RHP this particular season. For his career lefties OPS more than 200 points less against him than righties (.583 vs .796), which I would say definitely qualifies him as a LOOGY.

Is there still a 10 day DL during the postseason? I know you can switch between rounds, but can you swap a person to the DL after say game 2?

If so, you could have a extra innings game in game 2, have Miley or Gio or whatever pitcher ate up a bunch of innings get some "shoulder tightness" and just swap them out for another long guy in Anderson or Davies.

Is there still a 10 day DL during the postseason? I know you can switch between rounds, but can you swap a person to the DL after say game 2?

If so, you could have a extra innings game in game 2, have Miley or Gio or whatever pitcher ate up a bunch of innings get some "shoulder tightness" and just swap them out for another long guy in Anderson or Davies.

If you replace a guy on the roster, the guy you replaced is out for that series and the next series. So if the Brewers swapped out a guy against the Rockies, he wouldn't be able to return to the roster until the World Series.

Who can be in the dugout during these games?

The DL guys like Suter have been in the dugout throughout the regular season. Do they still stay for the postseason?

Can the guys that didn't make the 25 man travel with the team, or be in the dugout? Would be kind of weird for some of these guys to not be around after being there all year long.

I don't know...I know many here have this weird love affair with Freddy..I'm not sure why. I very easily could have done without him on the playoff roster. To be honest, I want him nowhere near a big situation in this series. His control issues WILL rear their ugly head at some point again I'm afraid. I would MUCH rather turn it over to Gio or Miley in a key situation, because they have been there done that. Freddy strikes me as the kind of kid who will get easily rattled by the bright lights and big stage. You can't have that in the playoffs. I hope it works out, and I hope CC ONLY uses him in low leverage situations..like up 3-4 runs, or if they are getting blown out, he can have mop up duty.

As someone who's obviously higher on Peralta than anyone here, I'll readily admit my opinion has been shaped/warped by a relative who is a retired MLB scout and head scout for two franchises. He's as demonstratively passionate about Freddy Peralta as any player I've ever heard him discuss. I've shared some of the reasons why, his dominance vs RHB, his deception, etc. He makes major league hitters look silly in a way not often seen. And as for the control, Peralta has shown tremendous control as he has been given time to settle in at a given level. Peralta has been pushed very aggressively so he hasn't had many opportunities to get comfortable. When he has, his control has followed.

The other affirming aspect of all this is the fact the team is clearly higher on him than most here. I keep saying things, like don't be surprised if he's a fixture in the 2019 rotation, don't be surprised if he's on the postseason roster, and don't be surprised if he makes a postseason start. And it appears to me that all of these things will come to fruition. My relative said he'd definitely have a role on this year's playoff team and he looks sure to be right.

So with a scout in my ear and the team making moves to back it up, I have a very rational reason to be high on this kid. If anything I'm holding back on some things I've been told. People didn't even want to put him on the postseason roster. I'd be run off the board if I shared more.

Who can be in the dugout during these games?

The DL guys like Suter have been in the dugout throughout the regular season. Do they still stay for the postseason?

Can the guys that didn't make the 25 man travel with the team, or be in the dugout? Would be kind of weird for some of these guys to not be around after being there all year long.

I know they talked about this in 08, with guys like sheets. You can have extras but there us a limit of which I'm not sure what it is.

What if they got hurt early in the world series?

Then the team has to make a decision. If you think they can come back before the series is over and contribute you keep him on the roster. If not then he's replaced. Basically what we did some of in the regular season, play short handed.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Dodgers hitters

vs. LHP: .317 wOBA, 101 wRC+

vs. RHP: .341 wOBA, 117 wRC+

Have to think Cedeno is definitely a lock, maybe even Jennings too. I would anticipate Miley and Gio both getting starts.

Dodgers hitters

vs. LHP: .317 wOBA, 101 wRC+

vs. RHP: .341 wOBA, 117 wRC+

Have to think Cedeno is definitely a lock, maybe even Jennings too. I would anticipate Miley and Gio both getting starts.

Hey it might still be Braves...

Tempting to consider dropping Schoop for Thames. Its not logical, its a hunch Thames can come through. Seven game series, one backup ss is fine. Will they do that? I highly doubt it. Cedeno for either Peralta/Guerra is likely the move they make. I dont like it, Cedeno is not reaaly a loogy anyhow. I would rather have the pitching staff they have currently. Hader, Burnes, and Knebel are plenty nasty vs LH. Gonzalez can be used out of the pen too. Seems like Cedeno would be a good move until you really take a closer look. If you dont believe me, picture a critical AB in game 7 and you can have Knebel or Cedeno face Bellinger. Who do you want? Exactly.

If Dodgers win,

Guerra out..... Cedeno in. That is the easy one.

Another lefty off the bench makes sense to me, but is Thames logical now? I can't see us pulling that trigger.

Another starter makes sense with a 7 game series, but the Dodgers hit righties somewhat better than lefties. Pitching Chacin, Gio, and Miley 2 a piece with a bullpen game mixed in seems about right. Not sure who pitches when. That leaves out Chase and Davies.

I think you can probably drop Peralta at this point, the best fit for him would have been against the Rockies, if he didn't see any work against them he probably won't in the NLCS either. Guerra stays, Woodruff is certainly still safe.

Keon will be on the NLCS roster, his value to the team is a relative constant regardless of opponent.

Thames for Schoop makes some sense, but I don't see it happening against a lefty heavy rotation like the Dodgers. They already are carrying a PH only type in Santana and Thames would be another. I don't see it.

Cedeno makes sense. I don't see them adding Jennings, he hasn't pitched in 2 weeks and has struggled in high leverage situational roles this season.

So I would say Peralta is out, Cedeno is in, and everyone else stays.

Some career numbers for our Initial Out-Getters against the Dodgers:

Davies: 2.59 ERA (4 starts, 24.1 IP)

Guerra: 3.38 ERA (2 starts, 13.1 IP)

Gonzalez: 1.89 ERA (6 starts, 38.0 IP)

Miley: 3.55 ERA (15 games, 14 starts, 88.2 IP)

Chacin: 4.41 ERA (26 games, 25 starts, 145.0 IP)

Anderson: 5.10 ERA (11 starts, 54.2 IP)

I imagine Davies' change-up could give the lefty Dodgers lineup fits. Gio and Miley seem like locks (Miley out-dueled Buehler in a 1-0 victory earlier this year). Chacin may have a tigher leash than usual given his struggles against the Dodgers in recent years.

All the pitchers above have significantly better numbers at Dodger Stadium against the Dodgers (0.64 ERA in 2 starts there for Davies) except for Guerra/Chacin who are both worse (Guerra had only 1 start there but it was very bad, Chacin around a 5 ERA at Dodger Stadium over the years).

I don't think this will be too much of an issue though as Chacin does not have to pitch at Dodger Stadium at all.

If it's the Dodgers, I'd go:

Game 1: Miley

Game 2: Chacin

Game 3: Gio

Game 4: Davies

Game 5: Miley

Game 6: Chacin

Game 7: Gio or Davies, whoever pitched better

Keep Guerra in the bullpen, Anderson unfortunately would have to sit this series out too.

I think I'd probably keep the same bullpen for this series except consider replacing Peralta with Cedeno.

Some career numbers for our Initial Out-Getters against the Dodgers:

Davies: 2.59 ERA (4 starts, 24.1 IP)

Guerra: 3.38 ERA (2 starts, 13.1 IP)

Gonzalez: 1.89 ERA (6 starts, 38.0 IP)

Miley: 3.55 ERA (15 games, 14 starts, 88.2 IP)

Chacin: 4.41 ERA (26 games, 25 starts, 145.0 IP)

Anderson: 5.10 ERA (11 starts, 54.2 IP)

I imagine Davies' change-up could give the lefty Dodgers lineup fits. Gio and Miley seem like locks (Miley out-dueled Buehler in a 1-0 victory earlier this year). Chacin may have a tigher leash than usual given his struggles against the Dodgers in recent years.

All the pitchers above have significantly better numbers at Dodger Stadium against the Dodgers (0.64 ERA in 2 starts there for Davies) except for Guerra/Chacin who are both worse (Guerra had only 1 start there but it was very bad, Chacin around a 5 ERA at Dodger Stadium over the years).

I don't think this will be too much of an issue though as Chacin does not have to pitch at Dodger Stadium at all.

If it's the Dodgers, I'd go:

Game 1: Miley

Game 2: Chacin

Game 3: Gio

Game 4: Davies

Game 5: Miley

Game 6: Chacin

Game 7: Gio or Davies, whoever pitched better

Keep Guerra in the bullpen, Anderson unfortunately would have to sit this series out too.

I think I'd probably keep the same bullpen for this series except consider replacing Peralta with Cedeno.

Roughly 2 short months ago Chase out-dueled Kershaw for a much needed win (considering the pre-ASG slump) just after the ASG break in Miller Park. Amazing how the structure of this pitching staff has evolved since then.

Archived