Brewer Fanatic

2018 Season Awards

pacopete4

So I saw actually sports stuff on sports center this morning. Every year besides 2014, the WAR leader for a position player won the NL mvp.

Jonathan Lucroy

Will history repeat with another Brewer in Cain?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So I saw actually sports stuff on sports center this morning. Every year besides 2014, the WAR leader for a position player won the NL mvp.

Jonathan Lucroy

Will history repeat with another Brewer in Cain?

Interesting question.

I'm guessing he won't as the power numbers don't jump out. And as a leadoff guy, he doesn't get a lot of RBI. There will be a segment of writers who don't look beyond HRs and RBIs and so forth. I'm guessing that Carpenter probably is the guy who wins it. League leader in HRs, OPS, walks a lot. He's really carried that team. If Baez walked more, he could take it. And unlike Carpenter, he is a plus defender.

I wonder if a pitcher could win the MVP this year. Nola and Scherzer - specifically - are having killer years (9.3 and 8.1 WAR) for playoff-bound teams (at least right now they are playoff bound). Both are workhorses in the rotation, and could win 20 games. But pitcher MVPs are rare.

It will be interesting.

Lots of interesting races this year.

AL MVP: Gotta be Mookie at this point. Best player on the best team. Though Ramirez & Trout aren't far behind. Top 8 on the FanGraphs WAR leaderboard are mostly AL guys.

NL MVP: I'd agree with reilly that Carpenter is probably in the driver's seat at the moment. If voting were today I'd guess Yelich gets more votes than Cain. You've also got Goldy, Freeman, Baez & Arenado all in within fractions of WAR from each other.

NL ROY: To start the season it looked like Acuña's to lose, the he got hurt & Soto burst on the scene with a historic season for a teenager only for Acuña to come storming back. And that's to say nothing of current WAR leader Harrison Bader, though he gets most of his value from defense which tends to not play as well in award voting.

Great internal discussion whether Cain or Yelich has been more valuable to our own team, but as someone mentioned above defense seems to take a backseat in award voting so I would assume Yelich will yield more national MVP attention than Cain. If Yelich's September can mirror his August (that is a LARGE request) he will have his name in the discussion I would think. But yes, I think I agree it is Carpenter's to lose at this point.

Personally I would give Cain the edge by the absolute slightest of margins, and certainly wouldn't argue with those who would pick Yelich. Even though Aguilar has fell off, he still should get some consideration because he was a significant offensive force earlier in the year when the Brewers were getting absolutely nothing out of the bottom of the batting order. That being said, Cain has a zero chance of winning the MVP. Just look at big numbers across the offensive stat sheet. Hits, runs, HR, RBI, OPS...Yelich is ahead of Cain and by pretty big margins in many of those statistics. I just can't see many writers looking at WAR, and then taking Cain over Yelich when picking their Brewer player to include on the ballot.

If the Cardinals make the playoffs, then Carpenter will likely get the award. If the Cardinals falter, then the MVP race is wide open.

NL ROY: To start the season it looked like Acuña's to lose, the he got hurt & Soto burst on the scene with a historic season for a teenager only for Acuña to come storming back. And that's to say nothing of current WAR leader Harrison Bader, though he gets most of his value from defense which tends to not play as well in award voting.

He'd be my choice. As much as I hate to say anything positive about a cardinal, I have enjoyed watching him this year.

AL MVP: Gotta be Mookie at this point. Best player on the best team. Though Ramirez & Trout aren't far behind. Top 8 on the FanGraphs WAR leaderboard are mostly AL guys.

NL MVP: I'd agree with reilly that Carpenter is probably in the driver's seat at the moment. If voting were today I'd guess Yelich gets more votes than Cain. You've also got Goldy, Freeman, Baez & Arenado all in within fractions of WAR from each other.

Assuming he doesn't slump massively, this guy will win because...well...Cubs.

He'd be my choice. As much as I hate to say anything positive about a cardinal, I have enjoyed watching him this year.

ENJOYED watching a Cardinal?

:rolleyes :embarrassed :embarrassed :embarrassed :rolleyes

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived