Brewer Fanatic

Rodgers contract doesn't really make cents to me

Brew Crew Buster
Part of me wishes they’d charge another seat license fee just to get tickets out of the hands of the thousands of ‘fans’ who get their season tickets and immediately run them over to a third party distributor for a quick profit. But yes, the concept is rediculous - charging someone for the right to buy something.

The Badgers (and probably most other football/basketball programs, I'd assume) do the same thing, but on a YEARLY basis. You're forced to give a dontation to athletics for the right to buy tickets in many sections.

^^^

I think that’s more of an accounting trick that schools use to hide how unprofitable most college programs actually are. For example, at North Dakota, you have to be a ‘Champions Club’ member to buy premium men’s hockey tickets. That revenue is allocated to the general athletics fund (and not men’s hockey); however, very few people join the Champions Club without the intention of buying men’s hockey tickets. In pro sports, it’s not an accounting trick - just a cash grab.

In DC, the Redskins boasted having a huge waiting list to buy seats and that turned into a scam, as they have plenty of seats available, even with sections closed off.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/redskins-end-their-season-ticket-wait-list-which-they-once-claimed-had-200000-people/2018/06/13/61abd2c8-6f26-11e8-bf86-a2351b5ece99_story.html

I suspect that the next Packers downturn of 5+ years will put that waitlist to the test. With the secondary ticket market now legitimate, one doesn't need season tickets to go to any game they want.

Wasn't there a team that tracked 3rd party ticket sales and pulled the season tickets from those that sold their tickets quite often. Denver Broncos? maybe?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/7/17/15985000/broncos-fans-disappointed-policy-revoke-season-tickets

A pretty bad way to treat people. But they only do it because there are more customers than they have tickets to sell.

What's going to whittle that list down is the NFL and Packers pricing themselves out of the market. I could totally be wrong but I thought there was a story early last NFL season that many teams were having trouble selling out games. I don't know why anyone would drop a couple hundred bucks on tickets to an NFL game to be crammed in with drunks while only able to see half of what's going on.

I'm not a Packers fan, but when my son was born in 1995, I added him to the list. He is now in the 9,000's.

When he was added, the ridiculous seat tax wasn't in effect yet.

Weird. I was born in 85 and my dad added me and I'm 16k.

Maybe he didnt do it when I was born. I'll have to ask him.

What's going to whittle that list down is the NFL and Packers pricing themselves out of the market. I could totally be wrong but I thought there was a story early last NFL season that many teams were having trouble selling out games. I don't know why anyone would drop a couple hundred bucks on tickets to an NFL game to be crammed in with drunks while only able to see half of what's going on.

Personally, I love the TV product (especially with DVR). I haven’t been to a Packer game in 5 years. If I want to have a good time with my buddies, I’ll do it at Miller Park - by far the cheaper option and I live near Green Bay.

That being said, there’s a certain charm to Lambeau and even if 80,000 people don’t want to go 10 times per year, 800,000 people will still probably want to go once per year.

Archived