Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-29: Brewers (Peralta) at Reds (Harvey) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 13-12 in 10 innings -- Christian Yelich hits for the CYCLE on 6-for-6 Night; Brewers overcome controversy and 4-run deficit]

Eye Black
For the second game in a row, it doesn't seem the pitching is going to give the offense a chance to win the game.

Isn't it weird how this has completely flipped since the first half of the year...

Well that is exactly what happened last year too. Except the other way.

I was just going to say the same thing. Why can't the two of them ever get it together at the same time?

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what the front office analysis seems the most plausible to me with absolutely no insider information:

Peralta: Has potential, but unlikely to develop any more in the minors. Needs to face major league lineup multiple times per appearance.

Woodruff: Low ceiling, topping out as an innings eater or organizational depth.

Burnes: His usage is the most puzzling, ir seems like they want to protect him a bit and the only reason he's up in the bigs is because the team is contending.

13 starts for Freddy. 12 for Woody plus 8 relief appearances.

Woodruff has been bounced back and forth over two seasons, while Freddy has been given a game every 5 days. And after tonight's stinker, their stats are going to look pretty dang similar.

I will admit I find it really weird how they have handled their top SP prospects this year. Peralta gets an extended shot in the rotation, Burnes can only pitch in the bullpen, and Woodruff gets shuttled back and forth between AAA and the MLB, and between the bullpen/rotation with no real, extended chance.

What makes it even more of a head scratcher is that Peralta is probably the least polished of all of them, and has more of bullpen makeup than the other two given his history of control issues.

I've second guessed Counsell plenty of times but I don't understand this one. Its to the point where you have to start winning more of these games. A walk prone starter began the inning with a walk, never a good sign, and then gave up a hit. A game can be lost in the 5th. He went with his best reliever to keep the game from getting away and Hader didn't get the job done, that's on him. I'm glad he can be flexible enough to go to Hader regardless of any situation or inning and start treating these like playoff games.

Can’t manage all these games as if it’s lose or go home. Maybe the move would make more sense if our starter didn’t pitch only one inning yesterday but that happened. It affects the series. As does using Hader in this one. Tomorrow’s game will be very interesting when there’s no arms to turn to. We had a two run lead and Peralta just got a fly ball out. It was a panic move and it didn’t pay off at all.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It is weird that Stearns seems to have no trouble pulling the trigger on offense. Yelich Cain Moose Shaw Schoop Thames. Meanwhile he seems like he thinks pitching is just not a big priority. Even in the draft all three first round picks are bats. I don't understand how a seemingly smart guy is lost on how to build a winner.

I think he just doesn't want to give up the whole farm to get pitching. There'd be nothing left if they traded Burnes, Peralta, and Hiura

That's where the inability to develop home-grown guys like Wily Peralta, Jungmann, Jorge Lopez, and the like has really burned them. All guys with terrific stuff and potential, but flamed out for whatever reason.

Right and I think Stearns understands that the Brewers need to develop pitching rather than get free agents. Hence his desire to keep Burnes and Peralta.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How Counsell didn’t have a yard sale after that HR is amazing. Good self control. More than I would ever have.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The only thing i can think of is that the umps claimed he pulled the bat bat back making it not a bunt attempt and thus a normal foul. I disagree, but this is what happens when umpires suck at life.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived