Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-29: Brewers (Peralta) at Reds (Harvey) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 13-12 in 10 innings -- Christian Yelich hits for the CYCLE on 6-for-6 Night; Brewers overcome controversy and 4-run deficit]

Eye Black
  • Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Counsell had to rush Hader into the game but no excuses he didn't get it done. Counsell has done a bad job in my opinion since May but the guy is basically out of options. Stearns has left the guy out to dry.

If this roster is leaving a manager out to dry you must have missed 18 of the last 20 years. Jeesh

13 starts for Freddy. 12 for Woody plus 8 relief appearances.

Woodruff has been bounced back and forth over two seasons, while Freddy has been given a game every 5 days. And after tonight's stinker, their stats are going to look pretty dang similar.

I will admit I find it really weird how they have handled their top SP prospects this year. Peralta gets an extended shot in the rotation, Burnes can only pitch in the bullpen, and Woodruff gets shuttled back and forth between AAA and the MLB, and between the bullpen/rotation with no real, extended chance.

What makes it even more of a head scratcher is that Peralta is probably the least polished of all of them, and has more of bullpen makeup than the other two given his history of control issues.

Counsell all the right moves in the first half. All the wrong moves in the second half.

If Soria and Hader are giving up rockets what would you suggest he do?

Tonight, didn’t need to go to the pen in the 5th. I’m even willing to guess Hader didn’t warm up that long. Players are the ones who need to come through but CC hasn’t put his team in a great position lately either.

What if he leaves Peralta in and he continues to get knocked around? Then it's "Why didn't you go to the pen?!?"

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. But it was obvious that Peralta didn't have it, and that had the makings of a potential blow-up inning. Unfortunately, it ended up being one anyway.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yelich is good.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What if he leaves Peralta in and he continues to get knocked around? Then it's "Why didn't you go to the pen?!?"

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. But it was obvious that Peralta didn't have it, and that had the makings of a potential blow-up inning. Unfortunately, it ended up being one anyway.

I wouldn’t of said a peep. After a starter went an inning last night he should have let Peralta go after Scooter and saved his bullets with a two run lead. If the inning went the way you think, Burnes can come in to bed the gap.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It is weird that Stearns seems to have no trouble pulling the trigger on offense. Yelich Cain Moose Shaw Schoop Thames. Meanwhile he seems like he thinks pitching is just not a big priority. Even in the draft all three first round picks are bats. I don't understand how a seemingly smart guy is lost on how to build a winner.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It is weird that Stearns seems to have no trouble pulling the trigger on offense. Yelich Cain Moose Shaw Schoop Thames. Meanwhile he seems like he thinks pitching is just not a big priority. Even in the draft all three first round picks are bats. I don't understand how a seemingly smart guy is lost on how to build a winner.

I think he just doesn't want to give up the whole farm to get pitching. There'd be nothing left if they traded Burnes, Peralta, and Hiura

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Maybe he believes in Peralta, Burnes, a healthy Nelson, possibly Woodruff and doesn’t want to mortgage the future of the Brewers because they may or may not sneak into a wild card spot.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It is weird that Stearns seems to have no trouble pulling the trigger on offense. Yelich Cain Moose Shaw Schoop Thames. Meanwhile he seems like he thinks pitching is just not a big priority. Even in the draft all three first round picks are bats. I don't understand how a seemingly smart guy is lost on how to build a winner.[/q same.uote]

I think he just doesn't want to give up the whole farm to get pitching. There'd be nothing left if they traded Burnes, Peralta, and Hiura

I get that. That said Ortiz for Schoop feels like more of the

combined with thinking the 'top notch' guys weren't worth the price being asked (archer, Yu, Arrietta). and viewed the next tier as similar just ok guys like we already have. Turns out he might've judged midlevel guys like Gausman too low in that you could at least trust them more than our guys. But I think that what Homer said combined with that is the logic.

Counsell all the right moves in the first half. All the wrong moves in the second half.

If Soria and Hader are giving up rockets what would you suggest he do?

Tonight, didn’t need to go to the pen in the 5th. I’m even willing to guess Hader didn’t warm up that long. Players are the ones who need to come through but CC hasn’t put his team in a great position lately either.

I've second guessed Counsell plenty of times but I don't understand this one. Its to the point where you have to start winning more of these games. A walk prone starter began the inning with a walk, never a good sign, and then gave up a hit. A game can be lost in the 5th. He went with his best reliever to keep the game from getting away and Hader didn't get the job done, that's on him. I'm glad he can be flexible enough to go to Hader regardless of any situation or inning and start treating these like playoff games.

That's where the inability to develop home-grown guys like Wily Peralta, Jungmann, Jorge Lopez, and the like has really burned them. All guys with terrific stuff and potential, but flamed out for whatever reason.

Maybe he believes in Peralta, Burnes, a healthy Nelson, possibly Woodruff and doesn’t want to mortgage the future of the Brewers because they may or may not sneak into a wild card spot.

So you're saying a team with 4 playoff appearances in 50 years is playing the long game? Two years in a row? Ok. If you are playing the long game you don't sign Cain this year. Santana was fine in the corner. The moves as a whole just don't add up.

Archived