Brewer Fanatic

2018-08-29: Brewers (Peralta) at Reds (Harvey) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 13-12 in 10 innings -- Christian Yelich hits for the CYCLE on 6-for-6 Night; Brewers overcome controversy and 4-run deficit]

Eye Black
  • Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaw is not clutch.

His clutch stats say otherwise.

In 2018, per baseball-reference.com's "clutch stats", Travis Shaw is hitting .216 when the Brewers are behind. In "late and close" situations, he's hitting .203. Since it's late and close, and we're behind, both metrics apply, and I wouldn't say either of those would support your assessment that he's "clutch".

Thank you for posting that. He's clearly been bad when we need a big hit.... king of the late solo homer

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

I believe there are only three players to ever have 7 hits in a game and I am pretty sure none of them have ever hit for the cycle in that same game. Crawford needed extra innings to do it back in 2016.

Yelich is the third Brewer in history with 6.

let me make sense on Hader for you Joey.

First the guy only has only two pitches and that won't cut it as a starter.

second if now he gets eight days off per appearance now making him a starter will have him pitch every ten days under CC

Hader has pitched 4 times on back to back days, 8 times on one days rest, 11 times on two days rest, 7 times on three days rest, 6 times on four days rest, 4 times on five days rest, 1 time on six days rest & 1 time on seven days rest.

He has gotten 8 days off between appearances zero times. He has now pitched in 44 of 134 games, or once every 3 games on average. He's currently 12th in relief innings in all of MLB. It would seem that Hader is being used plenty.

In 2018, per baseball-reference.com's "clutch stats", Travis Shaw is hitting .216 when the Brewers are behind. In "late and close" situations, he's hitting .203. Since it's late and close, and we're behind, both metrics apply, and I wouldn't say either of those would support your assessment that he's "clutch".

1 season clutch stats are worthless because the sample is too small. For his career Shaw has a 134 tOPS+ in high leverage situations. He has been about as clutch as a player can be. Even that is only 387 PA though so might not be meaningful, but his actual stats in those situations do not support not being clutch.

I believe there are only three players to ever have 7 hits in a game and I am pretty sure none of them have ever hit for the cycle in that same game. Crawford needed extra innings to do it back in 2016.

How many of those lost?

Haha not sure, Crawford needed a crazy extra innings win...so history is repeating itself.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yelich is still good.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rennie Stennett is the only one I'm aware of doing it, at least in the modern era. Who would the other two be?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Rennie Stennett is the only one I'm aware of doing it, at least in the modern era. Who would the other two be?

Brandon Crawford (2016) and Wilbert Robinson (1892)

Shaw is not clutch.

His clutch stats say otherwise.

Oh man. Using batting average as your only assessment tool. Try scrolling a bit to the right to see those OPS numbers. And then check out those career numbers to support it even further.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

ugh...it's like you're standing on the tracks and a train is slowly bearing down on you, but you stand there anyway hoping that just this one time it derails and on the tracks is the safest place to be

...that's my interpretation on watching this game as a fan hoping they get another AB in the top o' the 10th with the 99% expectation they will find a way to lose instead.

1 season clutch stats are worthless because the sample is too small. For his career Shaw has a 134 tOPS+ in high leverage situations. He has been about as clutch as a player can be. Even that is only 387 PA though so might not be meaningful, but his actual stats in those situations do not support not being clutch.

They're hardly worthless.

Let me reshape the comment. Travis Shaw has not been clutch in 2018. Better?

He's had 75 PA's when his team was in a late & close situation, and has hit .216. He's had 172 PAs when his team has been behind, and has hit .203. I don't care what he did two years ago when he was playing in a different city. Two years ago, Ryan Braun hit .300 + with 30 HR. Is that who he is now? No, of course not. Shaw, in 2018, has regressed. When we've needed him to step up, statistical analysis says he's failed to do so this season.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

ugh...it's like you're standing on the tracks and a train is slowly bearing down on you, but you stand there anyway hoping that just this one time it derails and on the tracks is the safest place to be

...that's my interpretation on watching this game as a fan hoping they get another AB in the top o' the 10th with the 99% expectation they will find a way to lose instead.

It seems like Freddy Peralta pitched yesterday.

I just see this game as a total coin flip at this point. That isn't a good thing either considering how much more talented our entire roster is, the longer this game goes the more the advantage should be to the Brewers but it really just doesn't feel like that.

Found some info on 7 hits games as it is poorly tracked if you do it in extras:

A host of players have had a 6-for-6 day at the plate, and two have gone 7-for-7 — Cesar Gutierrez of the Tigers (in 12 innings) in 1970 and Rennie Stennett of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1975, in a dominant nine-inning effort. But we’re still waiting on someone to go 8-for-8 or better. In 2016, the San Francisco Giants’ Brandon Crawford narrowly missed, going 7-for-8 in a 14-inning win over the Marlins, with only a fifth-inning strikeout keeping him from the feat. In 1932, Cleveland Indians shortstop Johnny Burnett was 9-for-11 at the plate in an 18-inning loss to the Philadelphia Athletics. However, the perfect eight-hit day is still out there waiting to be had.

Still incredibly rare. So there you go. Johnny Burnett managed 9-11 and his team lost in 18 innings.

It seems like Freddy Peralta pitched yesterday.

That’s what happens when you pull a pitcher too soon. I’d already be tucked into bed after a Brewer win. ;)

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived