Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Fall League

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the argument that we shouldn’t get excited until he’s top 5/10 is bunk

Think people are just holding grunge because after a hand/wrist injury he had a month slump. Outside of that, he has just tore through minor league pitching. He has a very similar swing as Trout but he is not Trout and think we all know that. Trout is a generational talent and no one is. However, just cause he is not Trout doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be very excited and think he is anything less than an elite minor league hitting project. His hit tool may be best of all prospects in baseball.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I completely understand being skeptical of any prospect, even the most highly rated of them.

The reason I am so excited for Hiura’s future is that I believe he has an elite ability to barrel the ball, and I think that skill is the most predictive of future success. I believe he is going to develop into a high contact hitter at the major league level. He has a chance to become a very valuable bat hitting near the middle of the Brewers lineup as early as part way through next season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

So the argument that we shouldn’t get excited until he’s top 5/10 is bunk

Think people are just holding grunge because after a hand/wrist injury he had a month slump. Outside of that, he has just tore through minor league pitching. He has a very similar swing as Trout but he is not Trout and think we all know that. Trout is a generational talent and no one is. However, just cause he is not Trout doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be very excited and think he is anything less than an elite minor league hitting project. His hit tool may be best of all prospects in baseball.

It's not holding a grudge against him per se. Its more so looking at it realistically, and telling those that think he should have been up this year, or should be the starting 2B next April, to maybe hold their horses a bit. I love the guy's ability, too, but he is being put on a pedestal by some here that is just too high and rickety in my opinion.

I would love to be wrong on this, but the guy just finished his first year of full season ball. Caution needs to be exercised.

I don’t think he is opening up season on 25 man roster nor should he. A lot depends what they do with Schoop, Moose, Shaw. You retain all 3, Huira only comes up for injury. Dubon will be there looking for 2B innings with Perez as well. If Schoop is traded, Moose’s option isn’t picked up on both sides, and Brewers stay pat.... I could see him up by June. If Moose and/ or Schoop are back, it could be longer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At this point I can't see Schoop sticking around. He hasn't shown anything, and his track-record previously was all about power. I'm not certain besides that though

I'm thinking the same thing - especially when you take in the cost, which will be near $10M in his final year of eligibility.

I will say that if the team can get him to sign for significantly less - they may keep him. But yeah, he's not shown a lot. However, they may count on a rebound season. Who knows.

If the Brewers think Hiura's elbow will hold, they may very well open the year with Perez at 2b. If Moose wants to stick around for a year, I think there's plenty of at bats for him and Shaw, even with Perez and eventually Hiura.

I really, really hope the team won't go with any plan that involves Perez as an everyday player. His versatility makes him useful as a utility man, but his bat is too bad to be in the lineup every day. The only time to pencil in a ~80 wRC+ as a regular is if it's an excellent defensive shortstop or catcher. And we already have below-average bats in those positions.

If Moose sticks around then continuing with the Travis Shaw experiment makes a lot of sense. Perez/Dubon as the platoon partners and defensive replacements, with Hiura taking over that role when ready, at which time I'd imagine Shaw would rotate between 3rd, 1st and 2nd a fair bit. Should indeed be plenty of at bats to go around, even if the team is lucky enough to stay healthy.

Position flexibility and platoons aren't going away. The Brewers can sign a 2B (Eduardo Escobar) to play there everyday and then become a versatile, near every day player at 2B, SS, and 3B once Hiura comes up for good at the end of May. Basically sign a player to plug in at 2B to start the season and then once Hiura arrives, have that signee be someone who is versatile enough to cover everywhere. I'll be shocked if the Brewers don't make a strong push for Escobar. And that means no money or room for Schoop.

Think we forget Dibon looked like he’d force his way to majors soon before ACL tear. He could easily factor in with a big spring. I really hope Moode is back. Shaw works 2nd & 3rd. Then they fill from there. Huira in 2020 everyday but if Moose is back & Shaw, keep him down until June or July

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Vlad Jr. is so good.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hoping for an infield next summer of Moustakas-Arcia-Hiura-Shaw.

Shaw-Arcia-Hiura-Aguilar also acceptable.

Love how Hiura is providing even more to be excited about in October this year.

I'm thinking Moustakas-Schoop-Hiura-Shaw would not be bad (I think Schoop rebounds next year).

Nice to have the problem of figuring out where to put all the talent.

I'm thinking Moustakas-Schoop-Hiura-Shaw would not be bad (I think Schoop rebounds next year).

For cripes sake, I know you aren't a big Arcia fan, but to keep writing him out of the lineup next year is looking more and more foolish every time you do it.

You should probably go Braun at SS instead of Schoop, with Aguilar in CF, Davies catching, and Suter as the opening day starter...

I see little to no chance of both Mouse and Schoop being here next season.

At least 1 will be gone......maybe both.

Arcia is the SS......don't think it's even debatable at this point.

He has been more then solid with the bat since his recall.......and we know what he can do with the glove.

I see little to no chance of both Mouse and Schoop being here next season.

At least 1 will be gone......maybe both.

Arcia is the SS......don't think it's even debatable at this point.

He has been more then solid with the bat since his recall.......and we know what he can do with the glove.

I think it's pretty likely that both Schoop and Moustakas will be gone. I could see them adding a Harrison or Dozier if they want coverage in case they feel Hiura needs a bit more time. Either of those guys could have value at next year's deadline.

The Brewers have traditionally sent some players coming back from injury or players with something to prove. My guess is that Clint Coulter goes. Grisham isn't a bad bet.

I'd guess Bickford is a lock. Corbin Burnes to get more innings. Maybe Devin Williams

Amazing how things can change so quickly. When you wrote this, it was absolutely a plausible scenario...instead, he's getting the last 6 outs of game 6 in the NLCS and has become a key part of our dynamic pen.

On another not, can someone give me an update on Kirby? How's he looking...last I'd heard was that his velocity was back(actually better than his UV days)...but his command was understandably inconsistent. Anyone know how he's looking now? I'd like to get a power lefty into the upper levels.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I know it's just a handful of innings, but it would be nice Daniel Brown would carry over the momentum from his strong showing thus far in the AFL into becoming a more legitimate prospect. Even if it is as a third lefty, injury fill-in type, the Brewers have shown they are willing to get a lot of mileage (quite literally) out of those guys during their option years.

For cripes sake, I know you aren't a big Arcia fan, but to keep writing him out of the lineup next year is looking more and more foolish every time you do it.

I would understand if someone was a big Dubon fan and felt he should be getting time at SS next year, but he's such a valuable defender...and he showed quite a bit of potential with the bat last year(which is why it was SOOO annoying to keep hearing about how he hit as many HR's in the post-season as all regular season as if he didn't hit 17 HR's last year and doesn't have any pop in his bat).

But you can't just gut your defense when your starters are ground ball pitchers by in large. Their relievers are obviously different, but still....the guy is so good and still sooo young. He HAS to be in our lineup.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I know it's just a handful of innings, but it would be nice Daniel Brown would carry over the momentum from his strong showing thus far in the AFL into becoming a more legitimate prospect. Even if it is as a third lefty, injury fill-in type, the Brewers have shown they are willing to get a lot of mileage (quite literally) out of those guys during their option years.

Archived